Black Horse have released us from contract for faulty van

On 17/10/2020 at 10:53, Brecon said:

If you had researched Lunar 

Your comment very clearly lays blame on the OP, without even knowing if he did research his purchase. It was unkind and unwarranted. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe the replies this guy is getting to a perfectly good question basically what this forum should be about. I had to check to see if he had accidentally posted in the dealers section becau

My head hurts reading this!

Your comment very clearly lays blame on the OP, without even knowing if he did research his purchase. It was unkind and unwarranted. 

6 hours ago, PMW said:

Absolutely. To try and suggest that this situation is the OP's fault for buying a Lunar is churlish. The poster of that comment needs to take a long hard look at themselves. To restore balance we have had four Lunars, I'm sitting in the awning of the latest at Great Yarmouth as I type, and we have had no problems with any of them. The first started to leak at the grand old age of 21, which is not a fault in my view. 

The first thing I would do is inform BH that I am referring the matter to the ombudsman as THEY suggested, and that they should freeze all payments whilst that is done. It is a very complex situation and as I understand it all BH need to do under section 75 is ensure the OP is not at loss. So if the van had not suffered these faults the OP would have a four year old van worth around 10-11k with 7k finance outstanding. A net asset of £3-4k. They have offered a settlement if £3.6k, the OP has to consider is he really worse off? I would suggest not, or if so very marginally. 

If it were just a case of the panel damage I would argue with BH about keeping the van. Ignore caravan repairers and look at ABS repair companies who would be able to repair almost anything but with all the damage inside from the ingress I would be glad to be shut of it. I posted earlier that having the payment as a new deposit and clear of any future liability would, in my view be a good outcome, but it is the OP who has to make a decision. 

Thank you.  I'm of a mind now to contact Ombudsman tomorrow and see what steps I should take.  My concern is I don't want to carry on paying finance on the van as BH have said if I don't make a decision before next payment at the end of October their offer may change...  the thought of trying to get the van repaired in these times at present I'm sure would be very difficult.  

4 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Problem with bad reviews on the internet is usually only people with faults post them and the majority of people do not have problems so you know there is a good chance of buying a good caravan. Bad reviews are not allowed on this forum so if a member wanted to know if a particular manufacturer should be avoided and they came here, everything would look rosy. 4 years ago I am sure most would not have expected Lunar to fail and spares not be available to make a future repair not possible. I have every sympathy for alibabaxx, they bought a caravan they liked, they should not expect manufacturing defects, the warranty to not then be valid and to end up in this position through no fault of their own. Whilst some on here think the BH offer is fair/good, I do not since the OP should not be in this position and with the money being offered plus the amount of finance still to pay, I would imagine they would not be able to buy another 4 year old caravan, especially this year with prices being high due to high demand. I have just renewed our insurance and current prices for our 9 year old caravan seem to be around £11k so I believe the OP has no chance of getting a 4 year old one for around £11k.

Overall I suspect the best thing will be to get rid of the Lunar but if it is wanted to try to keep it, another possiblity would be to get more quotes for a repair in case the £8k was too high and then see how much BH will pay towards a repair with the OP paying the difference.

Thank you. Yes part of me wants shut of it as the repairs will be nigh on impossible at the moment for a Lunar van.  I contacted lots of repairers who didn't want to take on such a big job, couldn't get the parts, or are too busy /short staffed to take on the work.  We never expected to get rid of our van, we just expected a new van would have given us few problems.  We haven't been able to use it since July because of water pouring through the lights.  We would like to get a second hand one as we have paid our deposit for our seasonal pitch next year, but like you say it's what we could buy again for the money given...

34 minutes ago, alibabaxx said:

Thank you.  I'm of a mind now to contact Ombudsman tomorrow and see what steps I should take.  My concern is I don't want to carry on paying finance on the van as BH have said if I don't make a decision before next payment at the end of October their offer may change...  the thought of trying to get the van repaired in these times at present I'm sure would be very difficult.  

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Bad reviews are not allowed on this forum so if a member wanted to know if a particular manufacturer should be avoided and they came here, everything would look rosy. 

Not true, perhaps you need to have another look at the T&C’s.

There are acknowledged and well trod paths to make a complaint, whinging and whining and bad mouthing a manufacturer on Caravan Talk isn’t one of them!

• Thanks 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

On 17/10/2020 at 16:27, CraigP2005 said:

I can't believe the replies this guy is getting to a perfectly good question basically what this forum should be about. I had to check to see if he had accidentally posted in the dealers section because the answers he's been getting would seem to bare this out. From it your fault for buying the van to you've got a good trade in. Maybe he didn't want to trade in at this time and take the hit every 3/4 years which you clearly do .  I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice but can offer you every sympathy and I for one would be gutted if this happened to me.

Unfortunately, this seems the way this forum is going for some reason.  

It seems normal now to criticize rather than help.:(

If I was the OP I would be gutted, as many of the respondents would be too. Lunar made quite a few nice vans a few years ago and have many happy customers, especially as they were quite lightweight, until the poor quality rot set in about 5 or 6 years ago. 

Financially they might not be out of pocket, with  drastic depreciation in the first couple of years, and the money owed being written off, but in reality are mourning the loss of the asset, and having to start again( if they are going to).

I have worked in the industry, and its a take take one, which was due for a large downturn until COVID hit which has postponed this for a couple of years. 

Good luck to the OP whichever way you go.

Op sorry to hear about your van, and some of the less helpful replies on this thread, some of which have been quite rude as I have read them, intended or not.

Having followed this thread and seen how members have explained how the finance had worked firstly. Well done for buying on finance. You would have been well and truly up a creek without a paddle.

I'm looking to get a motorhome in the future and this will be the route I go due to the added protection.

Looking at your case in particular.

Please get shot of the van, I appreciate how much you may like the van but that feeling will come again with something different. There is far too much damage to repair and it will always be nagging at you if it goes again.

As for the settlement, looking at how some other members have explained where you are financially without the  interest, I think Black horse have been reasonable with their offer.

In your shoes the last thing I'd want is that van repaired, I'd take the offer, it will be a buyer's market soon as we head into winter as dealers stock up with trade ins for new season models.

You could try ringing the ombudsman and seeing what they think but it does seem a fair offer. They will be basing the value on trade price and not retail.

Good luck and please keep us posted in how it goes.

If nothing else this is a good lesson in using finance if the rate is good.

• I agree completely 2
1 hour ago, Benny65 said:

Unfortunately, this seems the way this forum is going for some reason.  

It seems normal now to criticize rather than help.:(

If I was the OP I would be gutted, as many of the respondents would be too. Lunar made quite a few nice vans a few years ago and have many happy customers, especially as they were quite lightweight, until the poor quality rot set in about 5 or 6 years ago. 

Financially they might not be out of pocket, with  drastic depreciation in the first couple of years, and the money owed being written off, but in reality are mourning the loss of the asset, and having to start again( if they are going to).

You seem to be confusing being unable to help with being uncaring.

Yes, the OP feels put out by losing his caravan, and I am sure that we all understand that, but "Mourning the loss of the asset" is not something any of us can help with!

Yes, it is unfortunate that for a number of reasons a repair is not financially viable, even if parts were available.

However, several of us believe that the offer made by BH is fair and reasonable. His financial loss is broadly equivalent to the depreciation that the van would have suffered had the faults not existed and is also reasonable in view of the use he has had. 

This is, in essence, a technical forum, and responses tend to be biased that way. Emotional support  and overly effusive expressions of sympathy are not our strongpoint. Nor do the moderators, quite rightly, tolerate personal abuse.