Sterling Paint on front locker + above

Hi all

paint or laquer coming off front locker?

Also discolouration above front windows?

2014 van out of warranty of course.

anyone had same problem, may take locker door off rub down and spray again over the winter.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

F7FFB1DC-8CDD-4EAF-850B-1295994BD7AD.jpeg

6F3673E9-EDD7-4CA1-A5C5-CF050CAB54AB.jpeg

Photo of paint above windows FCC9B5AD-2C0E-43BE-8D91-B3D62F6CFE59.jpeg.38ed055178f00fbc9134cc8db90484e8.jpeg

A11CF9C4-B7FE-409B-A729-7B342BEB9DF4.jpeg

It looks as though something really aggressive has attacked the paintwork.

Is it a metallic finish on that model?

Is it paint or is it some sort of transfer?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

23 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

It looks as though something really aggressive has attacked the paintwork.

Is it a metallic finish on that model?

It’s plastic cover on locker at front and looks like a grey paint with clear laquer on top. Water got in at the top and is now peeling every time it rains.

23 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Is it paint or is it some sort of transfer?

I think the plastic is grey but sprayed with a protective laquer. The paint above the windows is on aluminium.

6 hours ago, ged600 said:

It’s plastic cover on locker at front and looks like a grey paint with clear laquer on top. Water got in at the top and is now peeling every time it rains.

I think the plastic is grey but sprayed with a protective laquer. The paint above the windows is on aluminium.

Have you had it from new ?

Is there any signs of  repair ?

What colour is the inside of the locker door ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Have you had it from new ?

Is there any signs of  repair ?

What colour is the inside of the locker door ?

No bought it this January private sale. paint was flaking a bit on locker but got worse this year. No signs of repair,

grey plastic inside n out.

thanks.

I hadn't thought about water or moisture incursion.   It was a well know problem in the motor trade during the late 70s and early 80s when laquer was first used over metallic/pearlescent finishes. Vauxhalls used to do an annual check and free restoration for the first 5 years (or was it 7) especially on the top edges of hatchbacks and boot lids.  It was attributed to humidity being trapped between paint/laquer layers.

It's probably too late now to enquire about the manufacturing process but it might be interesting to find out if any repairs have been carried out and by whom, say in the last year or so.

Ultimately it will probably be necessary to go back to bare material and repaint all of the panels effected as the damage will continue to spread.  

On 18/10/2020 at 21:39, CJ1149 said:

I hadn't thought about water or moisture incursion.   It was a well know problem in the motor trade during the late 70s and early 80s when laquer was first used over metallic/pearlescent finishes. Vauxhalls used to do an annual check and free restoration for the first 5 years (or was it 7) especially on the top edges of hatchbacks and boot lids.  It was attributed to humidity being trapped between paint/laquer layers.

It's probably too late now to enquire about the manufacturing process but it might be interesting to find out if any repairs have been carried out and by whom, say in the last year or so.

Ultimately it will probably be necessary to go back to bare material and repaint all of the panels effected as the damage will continue to spread.  

Yes that’s my intention, I’ll take locker door off rub down clean and re spray in a grey colour. Doesn’t have to match as it’s only the front locker that’s grey.