Sterling Paint on front locker + above

ged600

Hi all

paint or laquer coming off front locker?

Also discolouration above front windows?

2014 van out of warranty of course.

anyone had same problem, may take locker door off rub down and spray again over the winter.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

F7FFB1DC-8CDD-4EAF-850B-1295994BD7AD.jpeg

6F3673E9-EDD7-4CA1-A5C5-CF050CAB54AB.jpeg

Photo of paint above windows FCC9B5AD-2C0E-43BE-8D91-B3D62F6CFE59.jpeg.38ed055178f00fbc9134cc8db90484e8.jpeg

A11CF9C4-B7FE-409B-A729-7B342BEB9DF4.jpeg

It looks as though something really aggressive has attacked the paintwork.

Is it a metallic finish on that model?

Is it paint or is it some sort of transfer?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

23 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

It looks as though something really aggressive has attacked the paintwork.

Is it a metallic finish on that model?

It’s plastic cover on locker at front and looks like a grey paint with clear laquer on top. Water got in at the top and is now peeling every time it rains.

23 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Is it paint or is it some sort of transfer?

I think the plastic is grey but sprayed with a protective laquer. The paint above the windows is on aluminium.

6 hours ago, ged600 said:

It’s plastic cover on locker at front and looks like a grey paint with clear laquer on top. Water got in at the top and is now peeling every time it rains.

I think the plastic is grey but sprayed with a protective laquer. The paint above the windows is on aluminium.

Have you had it from new ?

Is there any signs of  repair ?

What colour is the inside of the locker door ?

18 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Have you had it from new ?

Is there any signs of  repair ?

What colour is the inside of the locker door ?

No bought it this January private sale. paint was flaking a bit on locker but got worse this year. No signs of repair,

grey plastic inside n out.

thanks.

I hadn't thought about water or moisture incursion.   It was a well know problem in the motor trade during the late 70s and early 80s when laquer was first used over metallic/pearlescent finishes. Vauxhalls used to do an annual check and free restoration for the first 5 years (or was it 7) especially on the top edges of hatchbacks and boot lids.  It was attributed to humidity being trapped between paint/laquer layers.

It's probably too late now to enquire about the manufacturing process but it might be interesting to find out if any repairs have been carried out and by whom, say in the last year or so.

Ultimately it will probably be necessary to go back to bare material and repaint all of the panels effected as the damage will continue to spread.  

On 18/10/2020 at 21:39, CJ1149 said:

I hadn't thought about water or moisture incursion.   It was a well know problem in the motor trade during the late 70s and early 80s when laquer was first used over metallic/pearlescent finishes. Vauxhalls used to do an annual check and free restoration for the first 5 years (or was it 7) especially on the top edges of hatchbacks and boot lids.  It was attributed to humidity being trapped between paint/laquer layers.

It's probably too late now to enquire about the manufacturing process but it might be interesting to find out if any repairs have been carried out and by whom, say in the last year or so.

Ultimately it will probably be necessary to go back to bare material and repaint all of the panels effected as the damage will continue to spread.  

Yes that’s my intention, I’ll take locker door off rub down clean and re spray in a grey colour. Doesn’t have to match as it’s only the front locker that’s grey.

• 3 months later...

Been there , done that, 2012 model, above windows use black dubbin or shoe polish, takes a few treatments over time, below halfords plastic primer followed by volvo dark grey 228 close but not exact make sure you sand down properly.

I think it is sunshine breaking the paint surface down because it is very hot, touch the boot then touch the white paint next to it and you will see why.

I make no comment about why this has happened, but if you go down the "paint it yourself" road, any paint to be used on plastic has to be carefully chosen and applied on a suitable base layer. Don't just expect any old paint to last long.

Which is why i specified paint. £15 for the job.Hundreds for a new lid.

And i'd wager the caravan is stored facing south (or was when the damage was done) mine was and all summer it was too hot to touch.

Edited by Leopard1

I thought Sterling vans had a plastic finish on the front.   Either abs or grp.   So why has it got a paint finish.   Maybe a quick blow job to combat the dulling of grp or maybe a paint job to cover up some damage repair.   Whatever, the surface of the paint has come away because of inadequate preparation..

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Painted plastic, this only lasted a couple of years then was changed , ive seen a few with this problem.

4 hours ago, Leopard1 said:

Painted plastic, , ive seen a few with this problem.

But no reason why it shouldn't be long-lasting if done properly.   Down the years there's been lots of vehicles that have used grp bodywork and have paintwork that has lasted well - indeed, some are still around. - Caterham 7, Scimitars, Lotus,

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Yes I cant disagree, if done properly, Swift keep pleading ignorance but the fault must lie there. 

• 2 months later...

I have a 2014 Sterling Solitaire with exactly the same problem. Ie grey locker cover with lacquer finish coming off where water has got underneath.

any update on how this was fixed please?

On 02/05/2021 at 23:00, Sidneysdad said:

I have a 2014 Sterling Solitaire with exactly the same problem. Ie grey locker cover with lacquer finish coming off where water has got underneath.

any update on how this was fixed please?

Hi there, 

I took the door off rubbed it down to the plastic finish used grey primer 3 coats, gloss grey 2 coats laquer 2 coats.

car spray can paint took a photo of the locker door then showed that to local car shop, good match.

its not perfect but better than it was before. If you’re not confident of a DIY job take it to a local sprayer.

hope that helps.