New tow car required Petrol vs Diesel

23 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

And until the caravan industry actually wakes up that will never be a consideration.

Not sure what the caravan industry can do unless we change our requirements.

The industry has been driven  by us as we now like the van to be a self contained home from  home, and they have catered for that. 

My first van was a 1970 ish  Elddis Tornado, gas fire, 2 burner hob, floor pump, gas mantles with 2 small dc lights, no toilet but fairly lightweight compared to now. 

It was half the size of my current van. But would I want to go back to it, no.

The designers and manufacturers use light weight materials, very low density ply, composite foam structure for walls, and worktops. The add ons have increased the mass, the large fridges are quite heavy, plus the wiring for all the appliances. My first van had none of this.

I can appreciate why many of us think the caravan industry may be on the endangered list.(remember Kodak).

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not going to happen. The primary reason being the inability to get sufficient charging infrastructure in place in time. Then there’s the issue of generation capability.    Once we get n

Of course come 2030 (or whenever) ICE vehicles are not all going to suddenly disappear overnight, it’s just that it won’t be possible to purchase them new.    All the vehicles that are in ex

Like Mr Plodd i see the current dates being quoted as posturing, pandering to the incredibly powerful green lobby. Watch that video carefully, it majors on ideals, it provides no answers. How do we in

Posted Images

Going back to the original title of this thread, I am looking for a car at the present and this is my problem too.

I originally intended to keep my current car for a while as I like it, its very comfortable and meets my needs. But due to the design problems with its EGR system and the future costs this will incur I need to move on.

My commute has halved in the last 2 years and is now zero with working from home. 

But the van is a problem. This dictates a heavier car whereas I would to return to petrol. So do I downsize the van. Could do, but looking at some 2 berth MTPLM figures these not much lower than my current van. Headache time.

Edited by ian16527
1 hour ago, ian16527 said:

Not sure what the caravan industry can do unless we change our requirements.

The industry has been driven  by us as we now like the van to be a self contained home from  home, and they have catered for that. 

Taking an active interest, participating in discussions and becoming members of the relevant trade organisations to register an interest.  Of course they might well already be doing this, but past experience makes me think that their uptake will be slow, with a "lets wait and see" attitude.  I could be wrong, but I'll reserve judgement.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

49 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Taking an active interest, participating in discussions and becoming members of the relevant trade organisations to register an interest.  Of course they might well already be doing this, but past experience makes me think that their uptake will be slow, with a "lets wait and see" attitude.  I could be wrong, but I'll reserve judgement.

I think you are correct with the slow uptake scenario.

I focused more on what could they do design wise and weight reduction, as this is what I thought you meant.

Not sure the NCC will be proactive either, which is the main body they seem to be members of and rely on for guidance.

Edited by ian16527
  • Like 1

Have a look at this video on Utube.  Who knows ?

http://new battery technology 2020

As a life long fan of Science Fiction I am aware that so many of the things that a read about decades ago are now fact.  Isaac Asimov,  Arthur C Clark and others.  In fact one of Asimov's ideas of a giant reflector in space collecting sunlight and concentrating it into a lazer (before they had been invented) to power down to earth is now subject of investment and research by our Government I was reading last week. 

I won't live to see them probably but I put Electric vehicles into the same hole as say Mobile Phones.

When guarding the then P.M.  Mrs Thatcher in 1985 I was issued with a mobile phone, for the day.    Big as a brick with a battery like a lead weight.  With a Talk time of a few mins and a range of 'sod all'  The batteries we are using now will be seen as that phone compared to now by the next generation.  Having had the Kia E Niro out for a days test drive I would have one on the drive tomorrow (not as a tow car) if I could afford it.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

On 15/11/2020 at 18:36, logiclee said:

No, I work with 2000MW daily.

And occasionally 2600MW

But not all down one cable.

That must be the Drax biomass plant then, about the only pace in the UK I can think of that sees that sort of current. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

Alan

Your link loops straight back to this thread !! :blink:

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

There’s a business opportunity for someone in a few years time. 

As the ban approaches get yourself a decent sized diesel towcar of some description (Disco, Range Rover, Landcruiser,  Touareg, X5 etc) and set yourself up in business offering owners of EV’s with no towing capacity a touring caravan (or boats on trailers) towing service. I bet it would appeal to those with seasonal pitches.

On reflection if I was operating a touring site I would now start to be thinking about storage capacity for touring vans, particularly as many people are going to switch to EV’s so will have to leave their caravans at campsites for the site operator to move them on and off pitch as required! 

Time to sell shares in CMC and CCC perhaps ?

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PMW said:

That must be the Drax biomass plant then, about the only pace in the UK I can think of that sees that sort of current. 

Get close to 4GW with the coal units on.

Don't often get to Drax though. The site is absolutely massive, far bigger than it looks from a drive by.

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

If you drive by on the main road you only really see the point of the triangle. 

I played cricket at the sports club there once as part of a cricket tour, strangely have also played at Hinckley Point on a different tour. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

• 2 weeks later...

An affordable electric car, it can tow 1400kg not brilliant that enough for a Swift Challenger 480, our 2016 HT Swift Conqueror 480 is just a little to heavy at 1454kg, but is a start.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/skoda/enyaq-iv/enyaq-iv

Edited by Oscarmax
  • Like 1

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

14 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

An affordable electric car, it can tow 1400kg not brilliant that enough for a Swift Challenger 480, our 2016 HT Swift Conqueror 480 is just a little to heavy at 1454kg, but is a start.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/skoda/enyaq-iv/enyaq-iv

I would be interested but the lack of charging points and the low tow limit make it a non starter for me.

• I agree completely 1

I suspect the problem will not start to bite until about 2035 or even later as until then there should be plenty of diesel and petrol cars left after the end of sales of them assuming the dates proposed stick. By then electric cars will have levels of technology way ahead of anything we have now and hopefully towing caravans will not be a problem. It needs a crystal ball to know where we will be.

Honda have announced no pure ICE European cars after 2022, who will be next

10 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

Honda have announced no pure ICE European cars after 2022, who will be next

I’m sure Volvo have made a similar commitment. They might even have already done it?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

These mean no new models, rather than they will not be selling the current ones. Possibly they do not see the cost of further development can be justified rather than anything else. Possibly BMW were more accurate in saying they will build what the law demands and if that means electric then that is what they will build.

Edited by Wildwood
7 hours ago, Wildwood said:

These mean no new models, rather than they will not be selling the current ones. Possibly they do not see the cost of further development can be justified rather than anything else. Possibly BMW were more accurate in saying they will build what the law demands and if that means electric then that is what they will build.

No Honda announcement they will not be selling pure ICE car by the end of 2022. 

I wonder if there will be some very silly deals to be had on the remaining stockpiles of ICE cars as manufacturers try and shift stock as we near 2030? because after that date they will be unsaleable. 

• I agree completely 1

3 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

No Honda announcement they will not be selling pure ICE car by the end of 2022. 

With the amount of mild hybrid, hybrid, PHEV and BEV out in the next couple of years I can't see many ICE only models on sale within a few years.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

15 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I wonder if there will be some very silly deals to be had on the remaining stockpiles of ICE cars as manufacturers try and shift stock as we near 2030? because after that date they will be unsaleable. 

I think the government will prevent us from buying them by massively increasing taxes and VEL costs. ICE cars may become too unaffordable, forcing us into EV's.

Edited by JCCD
  • I agree completely 1
45 minutes ago, JCCD said:

I think the government will prevent us from buying them by massively increasing taxes and VEL costs. ICE cars may become too unaffordable, forcing us into EV's.

But that policy will disproportionately impact those who are least able to purchase a new (and still expensive) EV.

But you may be right because currently those who purchase a car with a list price in excess of £40k have to pay vastly higher VED for 5(?) years. I reckon that might be what happens but it will be phased in over a long period of time to enable those with older ICE vehicles to plan on purchasing a used EV a few years down the line and thus not be so disadvantaged. 

The wind down of pure ICE cars on sale has already effectively started and will only accelerate. Porsche no longer offer a diesel version of the Cayenne which is the best option for towing. I'm glad I've got mine and will be hanging onto it for a long time as I see future choice, particularly for diesel, will only diminish.

For all the advances in electric vehicles I'm not sure when an electric vehicle with the same 3.5 tonne towing capacity, equivalent range and conveniently quick charging capability will be available.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Having bought a big expensive tug that has already halved in value in under 2years, I am disinclined to consider any more hasty changes for the foreseeable future. Provided it stays roadworthy I will let it depreciate the remaining 50% , over the next 5? years....by which time the picture will be clearer.

I think the opposite Andy I think the price of petrol and diesel cars may soar close to the ban on sales as people rush to get their last good tow car etc! I see a great business opportunity there! 

Edited by Jezzerb
  • I agree completely 1

Put it this way, with the demise of ICE cars, I wouldn't advise anyone buy shares in caravans.

The caravan industry must be concerned about their future. Unless things develop in the next 15 years, which it could, then I can't see me every buying a brand new caravan again.

• Like 1