Dometic fridge error code 12

GaryB1969

Just getting ready to go away on Saturday and the fridge is showing error code 12 on gas or electric.  This is in a 2018 Swift Group caravan.  I have disconnected the data cable which no longer shows an error code on the Command system but I still have the warning triangle on the fridge display:

fridge.jpg

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

8 minutes ago, Brecon said:

As the van is still under warranty it is a job for the dealer.

Agree, but we're supposed to be going away on Saturday hence asking for advice as this appears to be a known issue, often attributed to the communication between the fridge and the Command system.

If the fault is cleared you can delete the warning on the fridge. 

I turned everything off and unplugged the mains, re-connected and the triangle has now gone, I'll see if the fridge now cools.  I really don't need an  "intelligent" fridge in a caravan!

fridge2.jpg

Edited by GaryB1969

E12 daily gas valve test error 

12 warning symbol on

No gas mode possible; reset /power cycle; if failure occurs again call service

I copied this , but it just said dometic error codes, so I don't know if this applies to your fridge although it did say Swift code

Edited by joanie

13 minutes ago, joanie said:

E12 daily gas valve test error 

12 warning symbol on

No gas mode possible; reset /power cycle; if failure occurs again call service

I copied this , but it just said dometic error codes, so I don't know if this applies to your fridge although it did say Swift code

Thanks, I saw that one as well but there are also other posts regarding the data cable being the problem.  Caravans are too complicated for their own good nowadays!

All now working.  Leaving everything disconnected for a few minutes and swearing seems to have cured it.  Give me a simple three-way fridge any day.  I really don't need one to Talk to my phone at all!

• 7 months later...

Hi Garry, I know this post is a few months old now, but did this resolve the issue for you once you disconnected the data cable? I have the same issue, and although yes there is a warantee with it, we are supposed to be going away on Monday.

• 2 months later...

I’m having this issue right now (same caravan and year as Gary). Would know where or how to disconnect a data cable. I’ve changed the fridge from Auto to Electric on its display panel to see if that helps. Still showing the error triangle though. Wondering whether to  employ the old IT solution, switch off and on again?

On 03/08/2021 at 21:48, BM Bairn said:

I’m having this issue right now (same caravan and year as Gary). Would know where or how to disconnect a data cable. I’ve changed the fridge from Auto to Electric on its display panel to see if that helps. Still showing the error triangle though. Wondering whether to  employ the old IT solution, switch off and on again?

This is driving us up the wall as it’s now beeping in the middle of the night. Switching from Auto to Electric has made no difference.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue fridge works on electric and when in motion but not on gas. All checked show gas operating in the motorhome but not in the fridge any help appreciated. 

Just a thought (and I’m the last person to be giving out advice on electrics) but after a recent issue I had, as well as fridge errors, double check your leisure battery connections are tight.

My negative lead was loose, throwing up various issues until re-tightened.

I managed to sort mine by switching everything off (including the black on/off button on the main power supply under the seat) for two minutes & restarting everything.

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

I managed to sort mine by switching everything off (including the black on/off button on the main power supply under the seat) for two minutes & restarting everything.

I would second Gary’s method but.....

Be sure to either disconnect the leisure battery, or the multi pin plug that feeds 12v to the fridge (remove the lower external vent to locate the multi pin plug/socket) because even with the caravans master switch turned off the fridge still has its own dedicated 12v supply. That’s why you can leave the fridge on gas and it still operates if you go out for the day and turn the master switch off. 

Modern caravan fridges are controlled by a microcomputer, killing the power to it has the same effect as control/alt/delete does on your computer, it re-boots it. It might not cure the problem, but It’s an easy and quick thing to try if you ever have fridge issues. 

I have cured a fair few fridge “glitches” over the years by doing exactly that. My latest caravan (Bailey Phoenix) has old fashioned mechanical rotary switches to control the fridge functions, far less to go wrong!! (And no mega expensive PCB )

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.