Calling all Alicanto owners 😀

Hi all,

Before I bought my Sintra I did my due diligence and even watched the 'How to set up your Bailey caravan' video on YouTube and on campsite arrival the lady demonstrator can be clearly seen pressing the green button on the Truma rupture hose. Great thought I, they must be fitting Truma Crash sensor regulators (10 years in Motorhomes where they are pretty standard, as with a biggun it can get pretty cold further down from the cab so run the heating) so, warm van on arrival and food keeping cool in fridge if doing a long stop. Checked on Truma web site and they only do crash sensor regulators, so all good. 

Picked up van from dealers and I fitted gas bottle and noted the sticker showing the reset button for both regulator and rupture hose , great thought I but as it was persisting down and I was rushing failed to notice there wasn't a rupture hose just a standard one. I only discovered this when turning off the gas for storage.

I have since had a pop at the dealer for not fitting a rupture hose and they say after consultation with Bailey/Truma, caravan regulators fitted to Bailey caravans don't have a Crash Sensor only motorhomes, so shouldn't be fitted with a rupture hose. 

So, does/do you think your Alicanto has a crash sensor and did it have a rupture hose fitted.  Bailey are sending out mixed messages here, video showing one, label showing how to reset one, fitting a fridge with AES that needs gas to make any sense, then telling dealers that they fit special Truma regulators without a crash sensor!!

Just for the record, yes I would tow with heating and fridge working as long as both crash sensor and rupture hose were in place, and of course have driven thousands of miles in Motorhomes virtually sitting on the truma heater and my beer and wine nicely chilling in the fridge. And yes I do appreciate that when driving the fridge is powered by the 12v from the alternator, just setting a scene. :D

Edited by Stagn8

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.;)

I asked Bailey a few weeks ago - they confirmed on Alicanto is a standard Truma regulator without a crash sensor. Truma make a similar one ‘CS’ - which is not installed on the caravans sadly 👍

PS you could get one fitted though? 

What may be OK for use in a motorhome is not always OK for use in a caravan.

In this case the type of regulator used in a motorhome which can be used whilst the van is in motion is not allowed in a touring caravan.

Quote " PS you could get one fitted though? "

NO, you can not.

55 minutes ago, Brecon said:

What may be OK for use in a motorhome is not always OK for use in a caravan.

In this case the type of regulator used in a motorhome which can be used whilst the van is in motion is not allowed in a touring caravan.

Quote " PS you could get one fitted though? "

NO, you can not.

Can I ask who says it's "not allowed" - not trying to be awkward but I'd like to know as I was lead to believe private touring caravans are outside the scope of the gas pressure regulations and therefore exempt. Maybe its a NCC "rule" as nothing from the NCC is statutory, can anyone please clarify.

Deno

Edited by Deno
spieling mistek

They are perfectly legal in any touring trailer as long as has the CS function - and use a correct hose with leak detect /pressure drop hose. In fact that is the purpose of an auto select fridge 👍

if you are interested email Truma - and they will tell you the correct rules 👍- in fact Compass fit them on their top of range vans 👍

AFA0EB41-6717-4304-BEC0-018F8098F6AD.png

Make sure you get the CS version and the special pigtail with pressure drop sensor 👍

• I agree completely 1

I have often wondered what happens when you drive into a fuel station if you have a gas heater running ?  For a caravan (trailer) I have always believed that gas must not be used whilst towing. I think there is a legal restriction on this. Apart from the legal matter, and the safety matter, the idea of trying to heat a caravan with all its fixed ventilation is just barmy.  

Ern

I think heating I agree - but these auto fridges go into a fuel station mode when u switch engine off Ern, they don’t go to gas mode for 15mins - therefore keeping u safe. Mine comes up with a petrol pump symbol even 👍perfectly good for fridge and safe 👍

It’s really handy in the summer - when u stop for an hour’s stop for rest - the fridge automatic switches to gas etc - great feature 

Edited by djadria
15 minutes ago, djadria said:

I think heating I agree - but these auto fridges go into a fuel station mode when u switch engine off Ern, they don’t go to gas mode for 15mins - therefore keeping u safe. Mine comes up with a petrol pump symbol even 👍perfectly good for fridge and safe 👍

It’s really handy in the summer - when u stop for an hour’s stop for rest - the fridge automatic switches to gas etc - great feature 

You say "mine comes witha petrol pump symbol" Do you mean your caravan was produced with one of these fridges with a petrol pump symbol?  Can you say what model fridge this is ?   

Ern

Taken from the current Bailey handbook for the Alicanto:

Page 14.  11. Gas cylinders are correctly positioned, secured and turned off, and the gas box is shut and locked.

• I do not understand 1

Brecon - that is because the CS is not installed standard - if someone wants an upgrade - and it’s legal and safe - what’s going the problem?

a motorhome with a gas bottle and a caravan with a gas bottle is no difference- 🤷🏻‍♂️

I say - ask an expert Ern, - that is the correct action 👍

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, djadria said:

Brecon - that is because the CS is not installed standard - if someone wants an upgrade - and it’s legal and safe - what’s going the problem?

a motorhome with a gas bottle and a caravan with a gas bottle is no difference- 🤷🏻‍♂️

I say - ask an expert Ern, - that is the correct action 👍

The "problem" as you put it is that caravans are not Type Approved for that kind of regulator, therefore it is not possible to change, unless YOU want to foot the bill for a new Type Approval.

Taking your second paragraph, just because an appliance has various settings that does not mean that they are all available for every situation that the appliance is located in.

Edited by Brecon
  • I do not understand 1

As I say best refer to a qualified expert than speculate here. Truma sell these in the UK for caravans 👍

• I agree completely 1
On 14/10/2020 at 14:03, Stagn8 said:

Just for the record, yes I would tow with heating and fridge working

Fridge maybe, but heating should cut out, due to the habitation relay removing 12v from van circuits. This is a requirement of some regulation pertaining to caravans 

Ahh, thanks for that. SO much simpler in a motorhome, everything just works when you want it to!!

Well, so confusing, this from Truma's UK website.

Truma gas pressure regulator for driving mode: enjoy the freedom

To ensure maximum safety, all Truma gas pressure regulators have an integrated crash sensor. The European Heating Appliance Directive specifies that a safety shut-off device such as this must be installed to run the gas system while the vehicle is in motion. But the gas pressure regulators are also suitable for stationary operation at campsites.

Couldn't post the picture underneath showing both caravan and motorhome but here is a link

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings  hope it works.

Plus, right next to the regulator there is a bright yellow sticker showing a picture of how to reset both the regulator and the rupture hose. I have  also dug out the fitting instructions  that came with the van which state that it must be fitted with the reset button clearly visible! 

Alicanto does not have a crash sensor standard build. I confirmed with Bailey. The crash sensing version says CS on it. The button on the Alicanto one is a reset for over pressure not crash.

if u want a CS I’d check with your dealer if ok to fit on Alicanto and then you will need the rupture hose. Think u looking at about £150 for both plus fitting.

to conclude - it is confusing- Alicanto does not have a CS fitted.

Nice and clear, thanks djadria. 
Good to get the information ‘out there’ as I am sure I am not the only one who thinks it is a cs version, having looked at pictures I believe the cs one has a yellow ring on the button.  
I would still like to know why the Bailey video shows a rupture hose at 7.24 😁, I have asked but don’t suppose I will get an answer.

Hi Stagn8

this was my reply from Bailey :

“In regards to the Truma gas regulator. I have checked and we do not fit the Truma monocontrol CS safety gas pressure regulators to our caravans”

• Like 1
On 16/10/2020 at 12:53, djadria said:

Alicanto does not have a crash sensor standard build. I confirmed with Bailey. The crash sensing version says CS on it. The button on the Alicanto one is a reset for over pressure not crash.

Hi djadria, you have me wondering on your ‘over pressure’ statement! How do you get an ‘over pressure’ situation, surely that is the whole point of a regulator, to take the high pressure of the propane ‘gassing’ and supply it at low pressure to the appliances in the van. I don’t recall ever having a regulator with an over pressure device and I have had a few! So, how would an over pressure situation come about and if it did what happens to this excess pressure? I can’t imagine it turns back into a liquid format, so after the valve shuts off the gas what should you do, because if you don’t do anything other than press the reset then the over pressure will still be there and now the gas will rush into the caravan gas appliances under high pressure and to what effect? Just interested in how you think this will work.

As an aside, Bailey have asked for photo’s of the regulator and reset label and I have also asked Truma if they supply Bailey with non CS regulators as there web site clearly states that all the regulators they make have crash sensors. Will continue thread with any updates, but thanks for your interest and input. 😀

Edited by Stagn8
Layout

H'mmm discovered this at the back of the online manual, not noted in the index, came across it while looking up winterisation! Makes me wonder why everyone is telling me they don't fit this gear in caravans!!

image.png.12b721de87f02a2d596e94b86665f805.png

It’s fitted to some but not all models (caravans and motorhomes) , so it’s included in the handbook in order to cover all eventualities. Just because it’s in the handbook/online instructions doesn’t mean it’s fitted! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Agree Mr P!

Hi Stan8 - if you don’t trust your fellow bloggers 😉 _here is the horses mouth:

Dear Mr Jones

Yes we do a non crash sensor model, the screw connection is the test point.

Kind regards

Rachel Roberts

Truma Customer Service

The Bailey Alicanto regulator is their Basic non-CS version - hence no yellow button!  The over pressure - as you don’t seem to understand - that if the regulator fails - it can overblow any gas flames that are on - and blow them out - with a potential gas leak - the fail safe in the regulator would pop the black button out in this case and stop the gas flow.

PS - I get your disappointment Stagn8 - I felt the same - and a missed premium feature by Bailey- but however you wish it to be so - if it doesn’t say CS and have a yellow button - then you have the standard one 👍

Edited by djadria

Rachel replied to me as well😃, she must be wondering what’s going on! 

Nothing to do with trust, just trying to make sense of a very frustrating situation. I am happy to take your word that it is an over pressure sensor, I just like to understand the how and why as I don’t believe I have seen such a device before.
What I find frustrating is that all the evidence suggests the van should have the correct safety systems to allow gas to be used whilst travelling. This is based on the fact it is a premium product fitted with a very expensive AES fridge which, I can’t currently use to its full potential (auto changeover to gas while I have a long leisurely journey break 😀, or sitting around for an hour waiting for the rain to stop before setting up!!).  Next up....a whole page of the manual dedicated to explaining how the gas protection systems should be set up, this is then followed by looking in the gas locker where there is  a bright yellow sticker illustrating that I should turn on the gas and press the button on the rupture hose. It also shows I need to use the end of the special Truma tool (which I have) to push in and then twist the reset button should it trigger. 
So there you have it. An AES fridge I can’t fully utilise, a page of instructions for an item Bailey have told me they never fit to caravans and a sticker telling me how to use two gas safety items I don’t have! Frustrated and annoyed  hell yes. 
So, last bit, if the button does pop out because the regulator has detected a regulation failure should I be resetting it as shown on my sticker? 
Absolutely agree it is not a crash sensor and if I want to use gas whilst travelling I need to invest in the proper safety devices, I just don’t think I should be paying for them. The one up side if I do splash out I won’t need to stick up the reset instructions they are already there 🤣🤣.

Agreed - none taken! 😆

you have been down the same blind alleys as me! TBH I wished it was a CS and as you say can’t use the AES feature fully. 10/10 fir picking out all the clues like I did 😆

on a helpful note - when I stopped in a service area for a couple hours recently- i just turned gas bottle on - then the fridge did switch onto gas - at least didn’t have to go into van for that 👍(but remember the 15 min auto cut out 1st as it thinks you are in a petrol station 😉

don’t forget to switch the bottle off again before setting off again .......

if u get one fitted let us know how u get on 👍