Finally got away again.

So after several failures to get away in our caravan we have finally made it away for 2nd time this year. Short trip away but just wanted practice towing and setting van up. 

Found a nice site in Cambridge called Highfield campsite, nice settings and very good amenities. Owner nice and helpful which is a great help for a newbie like me. 

Also thanks to advice I received on here I now have heating and hot water too. Might have taken me longer than you guys to get set up but at least kettle was on in under half hour. 

After this I’m looking forward to lots more trips away next year 

The problem is with this hobby its very habitual. How long until your next fix?

Ern

38 minutes ago, Ern said:

The problem is with this hobby its very habitual. How long until your next fix?

Will be next spring now.

Will follow what I’ve been advised on here and make sure water tank and toilet is empty of all liquid  

1 hour ago, Lady Bird said:

Good for you  getting the kettle on in less than half an hour!  Good going that! 

Enjoy your stay away.

we don’t have an awning so it’s not too bad. Took me while to reverse it onto pitch lol

well done to you for reversing your van, all practice is good, you never know when you may need this .  BTW, it isn't a race to who can get the kettle on first, to me  caravanning is  a relaxing experience, do what you want , when you want.:D

1 hour ago, joanie said:

well done to you for reversing your van, all practice is good, you never know when you may need this .  

Only 3rd time towing a van so I’m impressed with myself. 

I do wonder sometimes why I waited so long before getting caravan tho lol

• Like 1
On 14/10/2020 at 13:43, James749 said:

Found a nice site in Cambridge called Highfield campsite, nice settings and very good amenities. Owner nice and helpful which is a great help for a newbie like me. 

That’s a nice site, been there a few times.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

This year was my first time of towing, as my hubby passed away last year.  Should have gone out last April, but the virus kicked in.

Anyway, before my hubby died, he told me to take a course of towing the caravan, which I did.  Looked at the CMC course, but didn't need to do all the stuff, ie, how to load, etc.  Just needed a go at towing.  So I contacted the firm who teaches these courses and spoke to a great chap.  He said he would just give me an intensive towing course.  I was over 4 hours on a Saturday.  We hitched up (well, I did:D), and took me on the M6 from J17 to J19, took me onto Knutsford Services, parked up, went to the loo and got a couple bottles of water, then reversed off, and back on motorway, then came off motorway.  Took me through Congleton, Wilmslow and Macclesfield (bad places to tow a caravan in the middle of a Saturday shopping, then onto an industrial estate, which was virtually closed, and got me reversing, around corners, left and right ones, and other bits and pieces.  Then it was 12 months later that I finally got to go.  I'm fortunate I have a motormover:D

The only thing I'm not very good at is putting up an awning (even a porch) on my own.  Both me and hubby did it together.  Sometimes, you need an extra pair of hands, or better still, someone who is over a foot taller than yourself;).  So I've invested in an Isabella Sun Canopy, which is far better for me to put up.  

By the way, a good tip, if its a hot summer's day, don't be afraid to leave putting up the awning until late afternoon or early evening, when its gone cooler.  Saves on a lot of beer, believe me:D

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1