new for old , but the caravan model is no longer available

thinking about caravan insurance, I have a dealer special of a bailey phoenix 640, which is no longer available. The nearest equivalent  model is a phoenix plus Looking at it, it looks the same , however the dealer special had about £3000 worth of extra's for about £300 which the phoenix plus hasn't got.  Looking at the next model up would be the Bailey Brindisi, it's an 8ft model but it has the combi heating , which I would want although the bed is transverse, which I would put up with. I was talking to the dealer and he said that the phoenix plus is the equivalent now for the insurance purpose. What are your thoughts and has anyone been in the same or similar situation and what was the outcome. 

Edited by joanie
  • Like 1
  • joanie changed the title to new for old , but the caravan model is no longer available

I don't have New for old insurance on my car. If it's sold, stolen or catches fire I get the market value. I insure caravans in the same way. 

Edited by moorgate

My model not available now so I have value in the form for todays nearest equivalent like you suggest.

Anyone been in the situation of having a write off what happened?

Did you just get the value in cash and went out and bought a replacement.

Or maybe they just delivered what they thought an equivalent?    ( If this case if you didn't agree did they allow your choice?)

• Like 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I had the same situation at renewal with CMC. I explained my model is no longer made and model X is the nearest. 

I was told that in the event of a total loss I would have to agree a value with the loss adjusters / underwriters and that is what they would pay. The problem I had was that the value they were insuring me at new for old was not enough to buy model X mentioned above. When I challenged this I was told it's something to discuss with the underwriters in the event of a claim.

It didn't feel right to me as the whole idea in my mind was enough payout to replace the van new for old with the nearest model. Both are still from the Adria Altea range.

In the end I opted for market value. Here we agreed on a value that I thought was fair for the van.

• Thanks 1

Jiffy you lost money then in not getting a new one nor the value you had on your policy by only getting market value.

You might as well have only taken market value insurance out in the first place and saved some premium.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

5 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Jiffy you lost money then in not getting a new one nor the value you had on your policy by only getting market value.

You might as well have only taken market value insurance out in the first place and saved some premium.

Not really as I was new for old as it was under 5 years initially and CMC include that. At the 6th year I upgraded the policy to new for old, their super cover as the Altea DT was still made. It's only this policy year Adria changed the range so there is nothing comparable in insurance eyes.

Hopefully I will never have to find out how well they pay out!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, moorgate said:

I don't have New for old insurance on my car. If it's sold, stolen or catches fire I get the market value. I insure caravans in the same way. 

the premium is near enough the same when the caravan is  nearly new.

Read the policy! There will be a clause specifying exactly what they will do.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

I haven't got a new policy yet,  I'm getting my info  together,  however, I have copied this below, which is the  reason for me asking the question.

If your caravan or motorhome is insured on a new for old basis and it's damaged beyond repair or stolen, you will receive a like-for-like new equivalent. So rather than getting a cheque for the value of your old, damaged unit, it will be replaced with either the latest version of your vehicle or a shiny new equivalent.

Edited by joanie

When I was insured with the CAMH and had an Avondale model and they had gone out of business the CAMH always suggested an equivalent model usually, a Coachman, but that was too heavy for my needs and I suggested Elddis or Swift ones, which were accepted. Possibly it is different in that the Bailey is still available but if your dealer no longer does the Dealer Special with similar extras hopefully you hopefully will find an equivalent with another dealer. Alternatively you should be looking at adding the extras where possible into the sum insured, although things like different upholstery cannot be provided or costed.

I am with the C&CC, but having a Lunar could not get a current price and told them I had priced it against the equivalent Elddis which they accepted.

• Thanks 1

Joanie.   Any half decent new for old policy will have a caveat that says something along the lines of "or current equivalent"  or "if no longer available to the same value"  .    It will also state the age beyond which new for old cover ceases.    

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

My CMC

"Replacement Value The cost of replacing your caravan, equipment and contents with new items of similar type"

Regards, David

1 minute ago, David 38 said:

My CMC

"Replacement Value The cost of replacing your caravan, equipment and contents with new items of similar type"

Yes, but if the exact model is not available it does leave room for argument as to exactly what a similar type is.

• I agree completely 1
4 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Yes, but if the exact model is not available it does leave room for argument as to exactly what a similar type is.

Says "similar type" that does not sound sinister to me.

I bought the smallest and cheapest 2 berth Bailey so there are 2 in the same size position in 2021, so if I were unfortunately to make a claim I would not see a problem with either.

Regards, David

9 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

The insurance companies are always keen to get claims closed so it would not be in their interest to quibble over the relatively small differences over a few years or the extras on a dealer special.

15 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The insurance companies are always keen to get claims closed so it would not be in their interest to quibble over the relatively small differences over a few years or the extras on a dealer special.

Insurers are far more keen to limit their costs/payout :rolleyes:

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Insurers are far more keen to limit their costs/payout :rolleyes:

Yes, but quibbling costs money, a surprisingly large amount of money. Far cheaper for them to concede a little over details than argue the toss.

All depends what you/they define as being “little” really. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Insure your caravan for a defined market value. If it's a total loss take the money from the insurance  company and start again with a caravan of your own choosing. 

2 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Insure your caravan for a defined market value. If it's a total loss take the money from the insurance  company and start again with a caravan of your own choosing. 

So what do you mean as market value?

Todays price of one, price at time of purchase or price of one s'h at time of claim?

Regards, David

54 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Todays price of one, price at time of purchase or price of one s'h at time of claim?

A "defined market value" is agreed between you and the insurance company at the time of taking out the policy. A very good idea for something unique or something for which a "going rate" cannot be found, such as a non-European van which is not usually imported.

Expect to pay for the privilege though if you want to set the value high!

39 minutes ago, Stevan said:

A "defined market value" is agreed between you and the insurance company at the time of taking out the policy.

No agreement was made between CMC and myself, I was asked the value,  I gave list price plus cost of motor mover.

Regards, David

we have had a few vans from new , but this is the first time  the van is no longer available so we cannot get a true price. I haven't spoken to any insurance  brokers yet. As I said in the OP the phoenix plus looks the same  but it hasn't got the extras and the brindisi  is the next model up , similar but different in that it's an 8ft model.   I expect I shall insure it as a phoenix and hope we never need to claim. I just wondered if anyone had experienced this sort of thing. BTW thanks for all the replies , it does help.

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

you can only insure it at  the market value on the day you purchase the insurance,  but I expect you knew that. I usually ask the dealer for the market value.

1 hour ago, joanie said:

you can only insure it at  the market value on the day you purchase the insurance,  but I expect you knew that. I usually ask the dealer for the market value.

No I did not know that.

So your saying to me I can't get a new for old caravan, if that did turn out to happen I feel very let down.

Regards, David

When I enquired about new for old, they told me as mine was a limited edition, then they'd have to do like for like. 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****