SKODA SUPERB 1.4 TSI (218PS) SE L IV DSG HATCHBACK

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a ŠKODA Superb iV hybrid as my company car. It suggests it has a maximum towing limit of 1900kg (braked). I have a swift challenger 570 with a maximum laden weight of 1595kg so I’m thinking that the ŠKODA should be able to tow my caravan. Is there anyone on the forum that has a SKODA SUPERB 1.4 TSI (218PS) SE L IV DSG HATCHBACK and can provide some real life feedback with regards to towing, and more specifically, the weight they can really tow?

Thank you all in advance. 

Jason

Not less than 1655 kgs   From Autoexpress

Earlier Suberbs made good dry grass towcars. On wet grass they struggle towing, I have had to give one  owners caravan a tow out!

My point of focus would be in getting and studying the torque vs rpm curves of the engine, to see if I could tolerate living with the revs towing.

Edited by JTQ
3 hours ago, Mine4Coal said:

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a ŠKODA Superb iV hybrid as my company car. It suggests it has a maximum towing limit of 1900kg (braked). I have a swift challenger 570 with a maximum laden weight of 1595kg so I’m thinking that the ŠKODA should be able to tow my caravan. Is there anyone on the forum that has a SKODA SUPERB 1.4 TSI (218PS) SE L IV DSG HATCHBACK and can provide some real life feedback with regards to towing, and more specifically, the weight they can really tow?

Thank you all in advance. 

Jason

We did consider the Skoda Hybrid, were informed by the main dealer if you intend to tow at the time of ordering you need to specify the towing pack at the time of ordering, it cannot be retrofitted and you cannot tow, also the towing limit is 1600kg so you are just inside.

Edited by Oscarmax

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

It looks a bit under powered for my liking at that weight. The kerb weight of the car will be very near the MTPLM of the caravan so the match looks a bit dubious.

I would check the torque and power figures as well as the kerb weight if no one has tried to tow with one. I am not aware of any tests on a car with this engine as VW Group tend to put a bigger engine in their test cars.

53 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

It looks a bit under powered for my liking at that weight. The kerb weight of the car will be very near the MTPLM of the caravan so the match looks a bit dubious.

I would check the torque and power figures as well as the kerb weight if no one has tried to tow with one. I am not aware of any tests on a car with this engine as VW Group tend to put a bigger engine in their test cars.

The Skoda Superb PHEV has the same underpinning and powertrain as the latest VW Passat GTE, might be worth looking up the VW GTE forums

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/vw-passat-gte-advance-estate

Edited by Oscarmax
  • Like 1

There is a thread on the Passat GTE on this very forum,  here

I think the summary was that it was quite capable.  I'm interested as I'm considering it when it comes time to replace my Leon.

We tow with the new 2.4 Outlander PHEV we always use the charge mode when towing, as long as you keep some reserve in the batteries for steep inclines the vehicle is fine.

It's a very new car and have been reading the tests with interest-power isn't an issue at 218ps-it'll pull the chassis off the caravan tHE 1.4 TURBO engine is a cracker anyway at 150bhp 400nm torque; haven't found kerbweight but with an engine and electric motors and batteries can't imagine it's light!

1 hour ago, Jezzerb said:

It's a very new car and have been reading the tests with interest-power isn't an issue at 218ps-it'll pull the chassis off the caravan tHE 1.4 TURBO engine is a cracker anyway at 150bhp 400nm torque; haven't found kerbweight but with an engine and electric motors and batteries can't imagine it's light!

It's around 250Nm without the electric motors. More than capable to pull 1595kg when all 218bhp and 400Nm is available. My guess is 1600kg to 1700kg kerb weight. 

I wonder how long the batteries would last. At 60mph on the motorway will it be all petrol or in hybrid mode? 

• Like 1

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

Hi all,

The ŠKODA dealer has been very forthcoming and has advised that the towing weights are 1600kg (unbraked) and 1900kg (braked). The kerbweight is 1730kg.

Thanks to you all for your comments and I’m still interested in receiving some real life reviews, albeit I appreciate they are a fairly new type of vehicle. 

Take care everyone and stay safe. 

Jason  

23 minutes ago, Mine4Coal said:

The ŠKODA dealer has been very forthcoming and has advised that the towing weights are 1600kg (unbraked) and 1900kg (braked). The kerbweight is 1730kg.

The quoted towing limit for an unbraked trailer must be wrong. No unbraked trailer may weigh more than 750kg, whatever the towcar. For the dealer to make such a mistake should make one suspicious of all the other figures that he has quoted, as well.

• I agree completely 2
1 hour ago, Mine4Coal said:

Download, read and understand the Brochure's tech specs it's all in there.

Skoda quote 1600 kg for a 12% gradient, 1900 kg for 8% gradient.

They also quote a kerbweight range (to deal with fitted extras) both with and without a driver in the brochure.

• I agree completely 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

7 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Download, read and understand the Brochure's tech specs it's all in there.

Skoda quote 1600 kg for a 12% gradient, 1900 kg for 8% gradient.

They also quote a kerbweight range (to deal with fitted extras) both with and without a driver in the brochure.

Exactly. Mines 1600kg 8% and 1800kg 12%. Although I've had to pull away from stopped on a 16% which wasn't pleasant. My van is 1420kg max. 😳

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

14 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

What does that mean please?

With our PHEV we have several modes just leave in D and let the computer sort it out, Save Mode saves the battery charge so if it has 15 miles left and you press save it will save that charge for use for later the ICE will start up at time as required, Charge Mode the ICE will fire up and power the motors any spare energy will be used to charge the batteries.

When towing a caravan with a PHEV they recommend you use charge mode that way on a hill the batteries can supply power in addition to the ICE (engine)

3 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

With our PHEV we have several modes just leave in D and let the computer sort it out, Save Mode saves the battery charge so if it has 15 miles left and you press save it will save that charge for use for later the ICE will start up at time as required, Charge Mode the ICE will fire up and power the motors any spare energy will be used to charge the batteries.

When towing a caravan with a PHEV they recommend you use charge mode that way on a hill the batteries can supply power in addition to the ICE (engine)

Thank you.