EU Personal & Motoring Travel Insurance

Hi all,

Our personal & Motoring EU Travel Insurance is now due again in a week.

Last year we went ahead with an Annual Intana Policy via CCC at £320 for the year mainly because the Red Pennant had stopped their annual Policy = ££'s. We multi trip abroad with up to 89 days at a stretch in EU with Caravan & also without on package trips (normally & hopefully). I realise RP is superior cover.

Have heard & read that CV19 exclusions are now all around etc. Anyone trawled the options recently and got any first hand views ? 

NB Am always irritated at the need to take out so many Policies for what seems the same or very similar issues with same people & vehicles. 

Looking forward to some positive views please in these strange times. 

M

Hi there , I understand that after Jan 2021 there will be a restriction on travel to the EU of 90 days in any 180 day period , if that is the case I assume if you travel for 89 days in a caravan/ Motorhome then you can’t travel on a package tour in Europe until the 180 day period is up . 

It has been worrying me because I could easily tour like you over the Winter months & would like to carry this out from October till mid July , trouble is if you do that you seem to have to quarantine for 3 months until your 90 day period revalidates itself .

As I see it , if you went from October till Jan 1st , you wouldn’t be able to travel again til April ,          Cheers.    Steve.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Yes I am spitting nails about this if it happens. Plenty of pensioner caravanners & motorhomers are used to staying out in Europe for months coming & going as we please. Then oddly some folk voted to end theirs & all the rest of us’s freedom of movement. 

• I agree completely 3
38 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Yes I am spitting nails about this if it happens. Plenty of pensioner caravanners & motorhomers are used to staying out in Europe for months coming & going as we please. Then oddly some folk voted to end theirs & all the rest of us’s freedom of movement. 

Does that mean you didn’t vote “ Leave “ ? 😀😀. Hope this thread doesn’t go down that road again. 

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

"If" it happens? Has it not done so already.

A quick Google found this information.

Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, etc. can only stay in the Schengen Area (without a special visa) for a period of 90 days within an 180 day period.

If you leave the Schengen Area, the countdown clock stops and doesn’t start until you enter it again. Once you reach your 90-day limit, you have to stay out for an additional 90 days.

Think of it this way… the day you enter the Schengen zone it starts an 180-day countdown. Of that 180 days, you can only stay there for a total of 90 days. You can stay for 30 days, then 10 days, then 2 days, etc. but once you hit that 90-day total you have to leave until that initial 180 days has lapsed.

A further search suggests there isn't presently a visa to negate this as visas appear to be country based.

What is a Schengen Visa?

A Schengen visa is a short-stay visa that allows a person to travel to any members of the Schengen Area, per stays up to 90 days for tourism or business purposes.

The Schengen visa is the most common visa for Europe. It enables its holder to enter, freely travel within, and leave the Schengen zone from any of the Schengen member countries. There are no border controls within the Schengen Zone.

However, if you are planning to study, work, or live in one of the Schengen countries for more than 90 days, then you must apply for a national visa of that European country and not a Schengen Visa.

1 hour ago, ivan leslie said:

Does that mean you didn’t vote “ Leave “ ? 😀😀. Hope this thread doesn’t go down that road again. 

Or not for more than 90 days anyway if that road is in Europe 😡😡😡

Hi,

Update :   CCC / Intana have replied - they are not quoting or issuing any new Policies till further notice.  Had thought they would continue even with conditions or at high premiums - not like Insurers to just stop as taking bets against risks is surely their business I thought .

Green Flag (which I have for UK Motoring cover) will quote for European Motoring cover (Car&Caravan) at £90, for a one off up to 90 day trip. The Annual multi trip cover is about the same cost but limits to 90 days in EU max per year so no help to me.

Now just need to start the minefield of Annual Personal Travel Insurance - any views ?

Amused at predictable topic drift above.

20 hours ago, stevew1 said:

"restriction on travel to the EU of 90 days in any 180 day period"

Hi Stevew1,

Thread drift again ..... 

I'm firmly in the wait & see camp as regards the future rules & regs coming out - far too much speculation at the moment.  Just cant see the likes of Spain & France wanting to put off or severely limit UK long term Tourists or holiday home buyers.

However the Pet Rabies Titre testing is very very likely needed regardless post 1/1/21 and takes weeks to sort out (it's no bad thing to have a pass confirmed anyway) . 

M

• I agree completely 1

I’ll definitely be waiting for an end to the epidemic before I take out travel insurance again , I had the Intana insurance this year & went down to Calahonda in February , I was hoping to travel from there after 4 weeks to Portugal then Galicia & back to Santander , after 3 weeks we had to drive back to the tunnel & home . The other European trips I had planned later in the year have also gone so I paid insurance for not much .