I have used the Halfords number plate sticky pads on my vans.

When we changed vans, I could not get the plate off, so asked the dealer to remove it. No exaggeration to say it looked like the rear panel of the van was about to tear before the pads surrendered

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well at least when the apocalypse comes and we head for the hills, caravans in tow, we can rest assured that if all else fails our trailer number plates will hold fast!

What has the world come too??    We sado’s are arguing the pro’s and con’s of how to affix a number plate to a caravan when the country is in a deep depression and many are losing their jobs

Pardon me for asking.   Won't bother again

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 10:37, robertB said:

It would appear not so much what you use but how well you use it

This is spot on, it's all about proper preparation and the application... clear, clean and dry the area. Apply the tape to properly prepared suffaces and let it set. Job done. 

On 10/10/2020 at 20:12, robertB said:

Bought van from a dealer last year and they fitted the number plate.  I have now changed the car so went to remove the plate today,  one touch and it fell into my hand  I think the next strong wind would have had it away.

I would welcome any thoughts on the best product for holding the new one securely.  I don't want to drill if I can  possibly help it so it looks like some sort of tape or pad but what is good and what is to avoid?

The old one was held by tape but it looks like the previous tape is still there as well so not well prepared by the dealer! 

I know that many here advocate various ways of sticking number plates to the rear of caravans and when it was permitted I always used to make up my own thin self adhesive number plates. Now we have to jump through numerous loops to legally obtain a numberplate, they are almost always on a thick sheet of perspex that can become more of a problem to fit to a GRP or ABS rear caravan wall. Consequently in recent years I have taken to simply screwing the number plates to our caravans. A small dab of blu-tack around the pre-drilled holes in the rear wall, prior to attaching the number plate with self tapping screws, ensures the fixing is weather tight. Using this method I have never experienced any issue either with fitting a new plate, or removing it again when selling the caravan on.

• I agree completely 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Much as I hate endorsing Halfords their aforementioned tape is very good, but whatever you chose preperation is key. make sure the area is very clean and free from all previous adhesives. If you need to use solvents of any kind to remove old tape residue then wipe it over with Isopropyl alcohol. Don't use methylated spirit as this can attack some plastics and don't use white spirit as it leaves an oily residue.

• Like 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

Not sure about jumping through hoops for a number plate. I just ask the garage for an extra one when I buy a car and so far have not been charged.

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

Not sure about jumping through hoops for a number plate. I just ask the garage for an extra one when I buy a car and so far have not been charged.

That's fine when buying a new car from a garage, as I've done the same - not quite so easy though for a private purchase :blush:

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I've always used anti theft screws

anti theft screw.PNG

12 minutes ago, twizzy said:

Good idea!   I have my numberplates held on with one-way screws.   Very difficult to get undone.

Last year my neighbourhood had a spate of number-plate thefts from front drives.   Police believed that the plates  were being stolen to order.   The sticky pads were simply cut through with a string-saw.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

When registration plate law was tightened up some years ago.  I went to Halfords to get a " NO BALL GAMES" plate made up to put in our shared private car park. I was still asked for a registration document!!!!

• I do not understand 1
1 hour ago, twizzy said:

anti theft screw.PNG

Nothing anti theft about them, they are standard “Torx” screws, I have a whole set of bits for all the various sizes. 

10 minutes ago, gtepete said:

When registration plate law was tightened up some years ago.  I went to Halfords to get a " NO BALL GAMES" plate made up to put in our shared private car park. I was still asked for a registration document!!!!

Never seen a car with that sort of registration mark !!  What V5 did you show the numpty??? 

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, twizzy said:

anti theft screw.PNG

These aren`t just `standard` Torx  bits, as Twizzy has said - the dimple in the middle of the screwhead means a `Torx` bit wouldn`t fit.

• I agree completely 1
5 minutes ago, angus said:

These aren`t just `standard` Torx  bits, as Twizzy has said - the dimple in the middle of the screwhead means a `Torx` bit wouldn`t fit.

I would still not call them anti theft screws. I bought a set of screwdriver bits and the torx ones already had a hole in them so they would fit this type of torx screw.

• I agree completely 1
1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

I have my numberplates held on with one-way screws.   Very difficult to get undone.

I believe they are called clutch screws... difficult to undo but that also applies to their  legitimate removal.

13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Nothing anti theft about them, they are standard “Torx” screws, I have a whole set of bits for all the various sizes. 

The 'pin in head' screws are probably best described as 'tamper resistant' rather than anti theft.  They will deter an opportunist but as with all things, an appropriately equipped thief will steal whatever, whenever they want.

Have a look at  Pig Nose Screws - again, not impossible but unless suitably equipped...

• I agree completely 1
14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Never seen a car with that sort of registration mark !!  What V5 did you show the numpty??? 

I was actually lost for words, but his supervisor sorted it for me!  Heard its still popular to steal your car plates attach them to another  car and drive though all  local speed camera locations...then return your plates to your car and wait for the speeding fines... 

2 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Heard its still popular to steal your car plates attach them to another  car and drive though all  local speed camera locations...then return your plates to your car and wait for the speeding fines... 

Why would the number plate thief, having racked up any number of speeding tickets, parking penalties and thefts of fuel from filling stations bother to return the plates to the car from which they were stolen?

In a ditch and fit the next set of stolen plates, rinse and repeat, probably in different areas ad infinitum.

Plates are usually stolen for one of two reasons.

To apply them to an identical  vehicle (cloning)  

To allow for filling up at a fuel station without paying 

I cannot understand why U.K. fuel stations are not the same as continental ones, either a barrier that a cashier has to raise after you have paid or “pay at the pump” 

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Absolutely agree, Andy or in the USA where you pay in advance of fuelling. Can't remember how it worked with not knowing how much, but it did. Prepayment by credit card I think. 

It isn't really jumping through hoops to get a plate is it? As far as I am aware it's simply a case of taking in proof of id and the vehicle V5-not even sure proof of id was needed.

13 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Prepayment by credit card I think. 

Which is how all Asda filling stations work.  No staff present.   Your card's details are taken before the nozzle opens.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

1 minute ago, Jaydug said:

Which is how all Asda filling stations work.  No staff present.   Your card's details are taken before the nozzle opens.

Although the very large Asda we use has staff in a kiosk - two at busy times- who pass the card readers out to the driver  for contactless or chip & pin payment after fuelling.  Arrive, fill, draw forward (clear of the pumps) to the kiosk, pay.  It seems to work well.

That said, Tesco pay at pump reads the card and debits 10p or some such small amount to check the validity of the card before fuelling can commence.  It sometimes takes a day or two for the actual fuel charge to be debited.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Although the very large Asda we use has staff in a kiosk

That's a surprise.   I've still to come across one.

Not forgetting that during the oil crisis in the 70's, many garages rationed drivers to about 4 gallons and many also made customers pre pay for the fuel and the pump would be switched off once the payment figure had been reached.

To say there weren't as many vehicles about then, I remember the queues,  filling stations with no petrol and folk driving round from garage to garage to top up.

Happy days, with my Royal Enfield and Norton Atlas giving great MPG compared to cars.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, angus said:

Then the set I have must be mde by another manufacturer, as they do have a hole in the centre of the six point drivers :rolleyes: And no - I am not a "tealeaf" with underworld connections.

16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I cannot understand why U.K. fuel stations are not the same as continental ones, either a barrier that a cashier has to raise after you have paid or “pay at the pump” 

I couldn't agree more aboutself service fuel pumps Andy.

image.png

18 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

That's a surprise.   I've still to come across one.

It is not a kiosk in the normal sense - more like a pair of brick and glass sentry boxes that you must drive past to exit the filling station.

The filling station is bottom left (grey 3 panel roof covering the pumps) with the two drive past kiosks immediately above.  Entry to the pumps is from the very bottom left corner of the image and although perhaps not clear, there is no exit from the pumps without passing the kiosks.  There is no physical barrier at the kiosks though so I guess given a clear exit lane, fuel and run is still possible.

image.thumb.png.052b5ce14f651f2d553bc16ad3ea731a.png

Edited by ReggiePerrin