Bought van from a dealer last year and they fitted the number plate.  I have now changed the car so went to remove the plate today,  one touch and it fell into my hand  I think the next strong wind would have had it away.

I would welcome any thoughts on the best product for holding the new one securely.  I don't want to drill if I can  possibly help it so it looks like some sort of tape or pad but what is good and what is to avoid?

The old one was held by tape but it looks like the previous tape is still there as well so not well prepared by the dealer! 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well at least when the apocalypse comes and we head for the hills, caravans in tow, we can rest assured that if all else fails our trailer number plates will hold fast!

Pardon me for asking.   Won't bother again

What has the world come too??    We sado’s are arguing the pro’s and con’s of how to affix a number plate to a caravan when the country is in a deep depression and many are losing their jobs

Posted Images

As we have 2 cars I've fixed mine on with heavy duty self adhesive velcro. I may have used a bit too much as it seems to be on there very tight. :blink::rolleyes:

John

Halfords sell double sided sticky tape strips for number plates and I have found these are good, as have others on the forum since there was a topic on it quite some time ago. The caravan needs to be cleaned before using them where they will stick. To remove the plate later some string can be threaded behind it and then pulled.

it's a pity that you didn't think to ask the  car dealer for the sticky tape when you asked for the extra number plate for the caravan.

32 minutes ago, joanie said:

it's a pity that you didn't think to ask the  car dealer for the sticky tape when you asked for the extra number plate for the caravan.

Go back and ask them for some! They have it on a roll like sellotape! They might charge you a couple of quid but at least you will know you will have the right stuff. 

Be sure to clean the area you want to fix it to very thoroughly to remove any wax or polish. 

(I have a cherished plate so carry spare rear plate from a previous car I traded in. The dealer fitted a new set to the new car, very handy!) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I use 50mm wide velcro on my cars and caravan for over 10 years without issues. You can also buy it in 100mm widths....

If you use double sided tape mount the plate with a few vertical strips rather than horizontal. It avoids water and dirt gathering behind the plate above the tape.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

1 hour ago, joanie said:

I didn't get the car from a dealer so I couldn't ask for a plate  (only got caravan from a dealer)

I am in the process of buying a plate to match new car and will certainly ask supplier for the tape, I just wondered what other people thought was a superduper or alternative way of fixing them.

It would appear not so much what you use but how well you use it

Caravan dealers supply and fix number plates for new caravans, so they will have the tape to fix them on with! 

I had a holder similar to this fitted by the dealer when we bought the caravan (no drilling was involved). £10 Halfords.

easy-change-number-reg-plate-surround-holder-black-plastic-show-plates-trailer-2412-p.jpg

Edited by Legal Eagle

How does fix onto the caravan??

5 minutes ago, joanie said:

sticky tape

So no advantage gained!

You still need the tape AND £10 for the holder :blink:

38 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So no advantage gained!

You still need the tape AND £10 for the holder :blink:

Actually very advantageous. You only fix the holder once. Whenever number plate needs changing, no freeing it from strong tape, cleaning the surface, applying new tape and taking care to keep the plate level. Just unclip the surround, swap plates, clip surround back in place and job done in two minutes.

The horse trailer came with a better,  factory fitted, number plate holder.

download (1).jpeg

Edited by Legal Eagle

I use industrial velcro as seen HERE

You can buy it in a haberdashery shop also, and comes in requested lengths and is relatively cheap but is reliable. You can cut it to whatever shape and length you require. I have used this method for attaching number plates for 10 years or more.

The advantage is that when changing caravans you can remove your number plate off your old van and apply a fresh appropriate pad to the number plate, peel the film from the sticky side and just press it onto the newly bought caravan.

Double sided tape does not adhere well in my experience, can be bothersome to remove and I have had an adhesion failure.

Edited by BOAC
URL added
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Caravan dealers supply and fix number plates for new caravans, so they will have the tape to fix them on with! 

They did fix it on but now I have to change it and it fell off when I touched it so their tape does not fill me with confidence!

I quite like the idea of velcro or even the brackets as we may soon have the use of 2 towcars so may have to switch quite a lot

What has the world come too?? 

We sado’s are arguing the pro’s and con’s of how to affix a number plate to a caravan when the country is in a deep depression and many are losing their jobs due to a global pandemic the likes of which have not been seen in recent times.  

Maybe we all (me included) need to get a grip on reality here?

Just now, Mr Plodd said:

We sado’s are arguing the pro’s and con’s of how to affix a number plate to a caravan when the country is in a deep depression and many are losing their jobs due to a global pandemic the likes of which have not been seen in recent times.  

Well at least when the apocalypse comes and we head for the hills, caravans in tow, we can rest assured that if all else fails our trailer number plates will hold fast! :lol:

11 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well; apart from obeying the rules laid down by the powers that be and using some common sense to try to stop the spread of the virus, I can't influence the problems you mention :( . But I know how to stick number plates on ;)

21 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I lost my grip on reality many years ago. I gave up looking where I'd left it a few weeks later :blink:  

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Pardon me for asking.

Won't bother again

1 hour ago, robbie244 said:

+1 for those, I use them, all stainless, simple to use, simple to fit and very reasonably priced.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes: