What to buy as a first van...?

We started camping with a trailer tent (lots of pegging out on the one we had, then wet canvas & bedding if you took it down wet).

Then we went caravanning with normal caravans (a CI Fairholme that leaked like a colander, a two berth sprite we kept for about fifteen years, then a Lunar that lasted a year).

Then, 15 years ago, we bought a 10 year old Gobur Carousel folding caravan, which we still use. It's better than a trailer tent as it has rigid sides, ends and roof, takes about 5 minutes to unfold or take down, is very well made, and doesn't seem to suffer water ingress. Look on You Tube for gobur folding caravan video, to see what they are like. Ours has a gross weight of 1,000kg, so should be easily towed by a Meriva.

They were made in Norfolk, sadly they are no longer made, but the factory still services them, and has a repair shop if the worst should happen.

9 hours ago, Alan G H said:

We started camping with a trailer tent (lots of pegging out on the one we had, then wet canvas & bedding if you took it down wet).

Then we went caravanning with normal caravans (a CI Fairholme that leaked like a colander, a two berth sprite we kept for about fifteen years, then a Lunar that lasted a year).

Then, 15 years ago, we bought a 10 year old Gobur Carousel folding caravan, which we still use. It's better than a trailer tent as it has rigid sides, ends and roof, takes about 5 minutes to unfold or take down, is very well made, and doesn't seem to suffer water ingress. Look on You Tube for gobur folding caravan video, to see what they are like. Ours has a gross weight of 1,000kg, so should be easily towed by a Meriva.

They were made in Norfolk, sadly they are no longer made, but the factory still services them, and has a repair shop if the worst should happen.

I've had a look at the ones for sale on their website. Sadly they all seem to be 2 berth. 

I like the Pennine pathfinder with its double beds that fold out. It gives plenty of sleeping space for me n the Mrs and our son. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ironeddie said:

I've had a look at the ones for sale on their website. Sadly they all seem to be 2 berth. 

I like the Pennine pathfinder with its double beds that fold out. It gives plenty of sleeping space for me n the Mrs and our son. 

I doubt that you would regret buying one.  They are only a small step down from a caravan, i think some owners would say they were even a step up all things considered!!

On 17/10/2020 at 08:41, AlanNancy said:

I think that the OP should think very carefully before following your advice. At first the idea seems OK but,! You turn up t a campsite, it's hacking down with rain and you have to set the thing up - what fun. A caravan arrives at the same time as you - un-hook, steadies down, electric connected, water tank connected, kettle on. You have to build your folding camper and then do all the above.

It would not be for me. KIS - keep it simple.

Alan   

Just as you state "It would not be for me" doesn't mean that it wouldn't suit them just fine, maybe they consider a folding camper "keeping it simple" ;).

All about different opinions and requirements.  

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

On 10/10/2020 at 20:41, Stevan said:

Find a van that is dry, in overall good condition, the right weight, the right price and the right number of berths.

All these are more important than brand or model!

I think that is spot on, only things I would add is that you like it and get a good feeling when sitting in it :) 

On 10/10/2020 at 20:41, Stevan said:

Find a van that is dry, in overall good condition, the right weight, the right price and the right number of berths.

All these are more important than brand or model!

The best advice by far.

• I agree completely 1