We purchased a brand new Coachman Acadia 565 earlier this year. 

We love the Alde heating. It is brilliant. 

However the van layout is two single fixed beds. Both sides of the single beds there are the normal boards but the Alde heating both sides is just blasting heat into the mattress. Very little if any goes up behind the boards. Totally wasted heat in this area of the van. 

Has anyone come up with a solution or modernisation to drive more of the heat between wall and board. 

Thanks 

Andrew

Make sure that the bed bases (there are slots at the bottom of the bed base facia boards) are not obstructing any air coming through it as the system relies on a convection current of air circulating across the finned heating tube and vertically upwards behind the bed wall boards - so store any items in the bed boxes away from these slots. There will always be an amount of radiated heat from the finned tube to the mattress however and of course the wall board does get warm too.

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - sold our 2018 Coachman VIP and now await our 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Special Edition

There are three solutions that spring to mind.

The first is simply blocking the floor-level vents to the aluminium convectors in the bed section. This would slow down the heating in the bed section. It might slow it enough to match your comfort. 

If it doesn't, the second solution is crude but elegant. Using secateurs you could snip and peel the fins off of the aluminium convectors under the bed. That would significantly reduce their heat output.

The third solution would be to book in with Alde and have a bypass circuit retrofitted. You can contact us by email with your caravan make, model and year of manufacture for a quote.

• Like 1

Thanks for response. Have spoken to others who have fixed beds and it seems I am not alone. 

We want the heat coming up behind the boards not 90% of it going straight into mattress so I don't want to reduce the heat. Just have it coming up where it should. 

That could be remedied with ducted vents. A board could be fitted above the finned convectors under the bed that curves upwards to a top vent, located around the outside of the bed section.  The hot air rising through the convector would then be ducted up, straight out of the top vents, rather than heating the mattress.

For inspiration, some of these principles are illustrated in this document page.

https://products.alde.se/storage/media/15741723905dd3f6e61e849/getting-the-most-out-of-your-heating-system.pdf#page=5

We had a similar problem in our Swift 480. There was too much heat in the cuboard under the hand basin in the washroom. Mrs Erns personal clobber was melting. The radiator was accessible so I laid some heat insulation panels over it. Sorted.  For the single beds I would try suspending a pair of vertical panels from the seat frame (try it with a bit of cardboard suspended on strings as an experiment) to deflect the radiated heat upwards. I have used foil backed styrene intended for vinyl floor planks.  Alde pipped me to it.

Edited by Ern

Ern

Thanks to Alde and Ern. 

A few ideas coming through.