When my wife enters the van she gets a funny noise through her aids this goes away when she leaves the van

Hi everyone,  my wife and I have just purchased a 2018 Bailey unicorn valencia,  my wife is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids. We have been away in this van for four weeks in Scotland returning home next week. The problem is when my wife enters the van  she gets a funny noise through her aids this goes away when she leaves the van this makes it very hard for her to watch TV . This did not happen during the first few days but now it is constant when she is in the van. I am thinking tracker, and we have no plans to use this device but we need to find the problem so it could be removed to see if the tracker is the problem. Can anyone say if they have had this problem and now was it resolved. Thanks all.

Is it not just the normal ‘feedback’ that you get with hearing aids in confined spaces? If not, what sort of noise is it?

John

Hi John, 

We have had many caravans over the years some much smaller than this on.

The wife says the is a constant pitch for about two seconds then it stops for a second then repeats over and over.

canal boat  man 

Ah, not feedback then, CBM.

Probably some sort of electrical interference - my landline phones cause so much ‘squealing’ that I have to remove the aids when on the phone - which is a bit tricky!

Whether they are NHS or private ones, I’d go back to the supplier for advice.

John

3 hours ago, canal boat man said:

Hi John, 

We have had many caravans over the years some much smaller than this on.

The wife says the is a constant pitch for about two seconds then it stops for a second then repeats over and over.

canal boat  man 

Your tracker idea could be right CBM, more so if it is occurring 24hrs per day.

Does it also occur if nothing is switched on in the van, i.e. mains disconnected and nothing switched on ?

I have a couple of trackers, one on a motorbike that, all parameters are fixed by the supplier so are not adjustable and a mobile one that I can attach or fix to anything I chose, don't ask.🤫😉

With the second one I can set the information I need to see and the frequency that it ' calls home ' for example only if it moves out of a certain area, when moving give its location every x mins, seconds or hours and so on.

Many trackers constantly 'call home ' at certain regular intervals, even if not triggered, to simply provide whatever info the tracking company need, such as state of charge and health of the tracker battery and sometimes the leisure battery, etc, also if the monitoring site doesn't get the regular transmissions it will go into an alert state, presuming the tracker has been tampered with or the signal shielded.

I presume you don't have the ability to disable the tracker, if so contact the tracker company with your concerns.

I would wait till next week when you are home to see if the same thing is happening, this will determine if the noise was caused by something near where you were staying or happens every where.

When you say this " This did not happen during the first few days but now it is constant when she is in the van." this could tie in with a tracker battery going flat whilst in storage or not used for a while before you purchased it, but with your use it has got a charge and is now transmitting.

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Apart from the tracker if fitted that you need to systematically switch things off one by one to find the culprit. If you did that already it must be the tracker

• Grandpa Steve changed the title to When my wife enters the van she gets a funny noise through her aids this goes away when she leaves the van

Have you got a light switched on? I have this problem if a led bulb is faulty. They have chips inside which can cause this.

10 hours ago, johnsev said:

It could be the solar panel/controller that is fitted in your van

I get this, very irritating but I at least know when the battery is fully recharged and the controller goes into sleep mode.

• Like 1

I am impressed with your answers...my 12 year old daughter has very sensitive hearing....she can even hear the bats communicating in our garden,,,and is affected by other electrical noise...including in our caravan.....will check some of the possible sources mentioned here..

I can empathise as I've had similar experiences.  Sometimes it felt like a needle being pushed in my ear.  At home I even had the feedback shriek when I stood within 3 or 4 feet of a generator. 

Any of the suggestions so far could apply in the caravan - it could even be the fridge cutting in.  The only way to find out is to try process of elimination - eg. disconnect the tracker and see if it stops,  pull the fuse on the solar controller etc.

The only reliable solution I found was to contact the hearing aid dispenser and ask for adjustments to be made.  The slightest adjustment to frequency can make a big difference as can the settings on some of the noise filters if you have them.  Mine were done in seconds using a laptop connection.  If the aids are NHS contact your local audiology department and they may oblige - they were very good with my late mums.

Switch mode power supply (SMPS).

Disconnect mains - is it gone? SMPS

Not gone? Likely solar controller as it is the only other bit of electronics always active.

Unlikely to be Tracker as that just receives GPS until it detects it is moving and then sends by cellular.

Unlikely to be PIR as that only switches on to sense about every 10 seconds (when the red LED is on.)

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

3 hours ago, ForestRed said:

I had this very problem in my Pegasus,  it was the low battery warning in the pir, replaced the battery & it went away!!

Ah, forgot about that - been there, done that etc etc.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

When you say aids do you mean her attendants, or entourage. If so just tell them to shut up and go away. 

Hmm that sounds a bit Gavin Williamson doesn't it?

• Haha 1