Car or caravan causing towbar electric fault

Have had intermittent issues with electrics for towing - indicators/lights brakes so had tow bar electrics rewired. Still having issues. Wd40 seems to improve things but don’t wish my trips away to hang on whether this works or not. Initially didn’t suspect caravan was problem as tried another car with my caravan and it worked fine. Before I got it rewired the roadside recovery people felt fault was on the car side as they plugged their tail lights into my car and it didn’t work! Any ideas I’d be grateful thanks

First, WD40 should never be allowed near caravan plugs and sockets, it can cause the plastic to soften and swell.

The most likely cause of intermittent faults is loose or corroded connections in the plug. Being intermittent they can work one minute, fail the next and then work. If it affects more than one light it is most likely the earth connector.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Agree with Steven on the basis of the information available.

Can you clarify what was rewired on the car please - was it just the 13pin outlet or all the towing electrics?

If just the outlet then its a process of elimination or a visit to a an auto electrician or mobile caravan tech. with knowledge of caravan/towing requirements.

Suggestion:  Try your car on a different caravan with known good towing electrics.  If all is ok it suggests the fault is not  on the car.   Otherwise the reverse may apply. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
1 hour ago, Mark615 said:

...Before I got it rewired the roadside recovery people felt fault was on the car side as they plugged their tail lights into my car and it didn’t work! Any ideas I’d be grateful thanks

What was the re-wiring?  Just a new socket?

I've seen lots of problems with bad earth connections at the car body.

Can you let us know what sockets you have on your car, 13 pin or is it one  or two of the older 7 pin 12N/S sockets? As your caravan worked when attached to another car, and your car didn't illuminate the recovery vehicles tail lights, I'd certainly suspect the car wiring. Have it checked by a reputable auto electrician.

• I agree completely 1

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Open up the caravan plug and check the connections.

I use silicon spray for outside pins .

On 08/10/2020 at 20:18, Mark615 said:

Have had intermittent issues with electrics for towing - indicators/lights brakes so had tow bar electrics rewired. Still having issues. Wd40 seems to improve things but don’t wish my trips away to hang on whether this works or not. Initially didn’t suspect caravan was problem as tried another car with my caravan and it worked fine. Before I got it rewired the roadside recovery people felt fault was on the car side as they plugged their tail lights into my car and it didn’t work! Any ideas I’d be grateful thanks

I think you have answered your own question, but in the mean see time if you can try your test , as above again.

Has the caravan plug been stripped and checked for corrosion especially the condition of the pins, it could be an earth problem, as Will says above.

To lose all three circuits at the same time due to three poor connections at the same time is rare, however lose an earth connection and all three won't work.

When you said you had the electrics re-wired did this include a new complete section of trailer wiring loom ( 7 core or 13 core ) and a new socket, the wiring going back to the source in the car, not just spliced into the old cable, either factory fitted or an add on with a relay, or similar as in the photo below.

With the van plugged into the car try a wiggle test, to see if disturbing the accessible car / van wiring does anything

How long has this been happening ?

Also, what is the make, model and year of the car ?

image.thumb.png.041b2feb90ecbc9f393c08ed688ad197.png

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

OP profile shows Kia Ceed and Elddis Explore  304.