Message added by CT Advertising,

CoachmanEach Coachman caravan is built to our exacting standards using state-of-the-art construction methods and materials and finished with the highest levels of specification and features.

We strive to move forward in our quest to create the perfect caravan.
Visit Coachman.co.uk for further details.

I wondered if anyone has had this problem. It’s a 2018 coachman VIP the water system fills up and bleeds ok but after running either hot or cold taps after about 20seconds the pump appears to speed up and flow stops.  You then have to disconnect pump from van and remove air the pump will then restart but the same happens again. Tried new pump contacted whale sent ic controller which appeared to cure the problem for a short while but then the problem returned. 

Is this a caravan that you've had for 2 years and the water system doesn't now work? Or, is it

new to you?

Lives near Cheltenham, drives a Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing a Coachman VIP575 (2018).

Hi we’ve had it from new with no previous water system problems. 

Have you calibrated the IC Control?

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Hmm, not sure what to say except perhaps ring Whale customer services again, i always find them v helpful. Am sure they will recognise these symptoms and the likely cause.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

I did they have been very helpful but couldn’t come up with any other ideas that I hadn’t tried. 

Sound like the pump is pulling air in from somewhere, cocentrate your search there.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Bearing in mind that the pump worked OK for two years and that you are well versed in calibrating the ic when required, then the fact that when the problem first arose , fitting a new controller solved the problem for a while and now the problem has returned, then logically it appears the 'new' controller has gone the way of the original one !

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

My own caravan is 20 years old so I'm not up-to-date with modern equipment.   However, where you plug in your pump at the socket, do you have some rubber o-rings on the spigot.   If so, they may be leaking in air.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Thanks I have fitted new o rings and non return valve with no joy. Pump is only sat in the barrel so how can air enter. I wondered if new ic unit has been damaged some way. I can’t contact dealer they have closed for 3 week due to covid. 

1 hour ago, Coachy said:

how can air enter.

Air enters around the worn O-rings, allowing the water to sink back into the Aquaroll.   When the level in the pipe falls to that of the Aquaroll, the pump can't push the water beyond the airlock - hence no water at the taps.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If the pump is the type that sits in the aquaroll, is the pump lifting itself up out of the water somehow, if so try holding it down or weighing it down. Try running it with a tap only slightly open to see if it makes a difference or try it in a bucket of water so you can see what the pump is doing.

Edited by Paul1957

I had a similar problem on mu Barcelona 2011 which I have had from new. Only a couple of years ago there was air being pumped into the system - turned out that the filter in the aquaroll (on-board pump) so purchased an aquaroll pump connector https://www.aquaroll.com/pump-connector-40-litre-aquaroll.html . Threaded the hose through this and reattached the filter on the end to ensure if stayed on the bottom of the aquaroll. Bit of a faff to put back in as the pump connector is basically nearly the same depth as the aquaroll itself, but it basically now lies on its side right at the bottom.

Cheers

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

4 hours ago, Coachy said:

Thanks I have fitted new o rings and non return valve with no joy. Pump is only sat in the barrel so how can air enter. I wondered if new ic unit has been damaged some way. I can’t contact dealer they have closed for 3 week due to covid. 

Oh! I see now. I have had problems in the past when filling the aquaroll with the pump not. Try uncoupling the pump from the van, drop the pump into the water and allow it to fill, then reconnect to the van.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

I’ve tried two new pumps and changed all the o rings. Only managing by opening the taps for a few seconds at a time. The shower works for longer by opening the sink tap at the same time. Thanks for all suggestions. 

Just a thought. 

Could you try using a watermaster connection to the mains?   If all is ok then it would strongly suggest the problem is still with the aquaroll pump and /or connections.

Otherwise it strongly suggests the problem lies on the input/cold supply circuit at the caravan. 

Also,  have you had a dealer run a pressure test?

Yes tried direct connection to mains and all works but that just tests pipes and taps at higher pressure and not the ic and pump at normal pressure so still doesn’t rule out any electrical problems. Thanks for help. 

Not wishing to contradict but a regulated mains connection (watermaster) is designed to reduce mains pressure to be compatible with caravan plumbing and ancillaries.  I'll stand corrected but I think it regulates to slightly less than the pump pressure from an aquaroll set up.  So it doesn't test pipes and taps at higher pressure.  ( If the regulator fails then mains pressure can cause problems and potentially flood the caravan - that's why some folk don't trust them. )

Had the same problem with my elddis caravan. I calibrated the IC Control unit as per the instructions but still the same. So instead of running the shower for 30 seconds I  ran the bathroom tap for 30 seconds that worked for me, been fine since.

2013 Ford kuga 163 bhp 4x4 manual and 2017 Elddis Affinity 554.

1 hour ago, Jamo said:

Had the same problem with my elddis caravan. I calibrated the IC Control unit as per the instructions but still the same. So instead of running the shower for 30 seconds I  ran the bathroom tap for 30 seconds that worked for me, been fine since.

I always use the wash room tap instead of the shower, as like you, no problems at all, but I do make sure that all taps are free from air first.

On 08/10/2020 at 23:36, CJ1149 said:

Not wishing to contradict but a regulated mains connection (watermaster) is designed to reduce mains pressure to be compatible with caravan plumbing and ancillaries.  I'll stand corrected but I think it regulates to slightly less than the pump pressure from an aquaroll set up.  So it doesn't test pipes and taps at higher pressure.  ( If the regulator fails then mains pressure can cause problems and potentially flood the caravan - that's why some folk don't trust them. )

You are correct.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Kiaboy - thank you.

I wish we could help the OP more .

• I agree completely 1

Thanks for all your advice on this. We returned home at the weekend set everything up the same and everything worked perfect. We contacted the cl and the water is supplied via a borehole so they are checking the supply but I don’t know if anything could cause the problem. I did notice that the pump hose had a slimy feel to it when removing it even though it was being taken out every day. 

9 minutes ago, Coachy said:

I did notice that the pump hose had a slimy feel to it when removing it even though it was being taken out every day. 

Water from a borehole will not be chlorinated. It is the chlorine in UK tap water that keeps algae (the cause of the "slimy feel") and bacteria under control.

Borehole water can be perfectly safe, but can also be very dangerous.