Blowing water out of my water pipes for winter.

• Grandpa Steve changed the title to Blowing water out of my water pipes for winter.

Statics should be plumbed with enough fall to the various drain point so as to not need blowing out.  Just open all drain cocks and then all the taps fully flush the toilet(s) (after turning off the mains stop cock, naturally).

Many sites will disconnect the main blue pipe incoming feed from the caravans over winter.

Heating pipes and boiler should be filled with antifreeze.

Seek advice from other owners on site and/or the site staff on their 'best practice'?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Before we had the site do our drain down, we used an electric car tyre pump which worked well. Can’t see why a compressor wouldn’t work.

In our opinion, you defo need to blow the water out of the pipes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Vaguely said:

Before we had the site do our drain down, we used an electric car tyre pump which worked well. Can’t see why a compressor wouldn’t work.

Thanks very much

1 hour ago, Vaguely said:

Thanks very much

The other alternative is to suck the the water out with a wet and dry vacuum if you have one.

I don’t believe sucking the water out would work.

Nigel, go to the NACO website and look at their advice for the winter drain down.

I just use a simple hand pump (for inflating toys and air beds) to blow the water out of the pipework.  Disconnect the water supply, open the drain points then blow from each tap down the pipe.  Best to remove the shower thermostatic valve as water can become trapped inside and freeze.

if the water supply  is closed off drain down valves opened and left open ,open your taps let gravity do its thing there will be hardly any water at all left in your pipes half litre at best and plenty of room to expand if it freezes never blew out my pipes in 10 years of owning a static and 20 years of owning tourers and never had a burst pipe issue yet 

Edited by Harrison78

My take on this is that theoretically,  if the water system on any van, static and tourer has been designed and fitted  correctly, then simply turning off the water, opening all taps and opening all drain valves as per the manufacturers  winterising procedure , should result in virtually all the water draining out, any miniscule amount remaining presenting no chance of causing  freezing damage.

However, we are talking about caravan manufacturers here 🤷‍♂️

So, to give anyone peace of mind to protect their pride and joy, by all means blow out the water etc.  it is surprising to see how much remains in the system after gravity has done its job and the airline has been to work.

Ever watched a tourer that has been drained before leaving the site, drain valves left open and been amazed at the quantity of water from the drain as the van moves and shakes about, water that gravity alone should have removed, statics don't get shaken about. !

Contrary to popular belief, there can be enough water remaining to cause expensive damage after a freezing spell, as witnessed by plenty of posts on CT when folk post such as, taps split, shower problems, push on pipe fitting pushed off and so on, many found, at best, when preparing the van for the first trip out, at worst when setting up on site where any damaged parts are not easily available and you can put money on the fact that the popped pint joint won't be in the most accessible place.

On the other hand there are many who don't blow the water out and have never had any problems to date.

If you don't blow it out, there is the chance, however remote, frost damage may occur.

If you do blow it out, you can sleep peacefully in the knowledge that there is nothing to freeze.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Agree that pipes should drain.. but the extra problem with a static is that the siting is frequently not what it should be, so even if the manufacturers has installed everything with the correct flow, the siting crew can undo all the good work.

As an aside, an old joke on our (residential) park was that the only time the siters used a spirit level was to make sure the gutters were dead level so that the pigeons had a ready supply of water to drink.

• Haha 1

Another thing to think about regarding doing a thorough drain down..or not..is that your insurance may be invalid.

Worth checking your policy.

• I agree completely 1
On 07/10/2020 at 21:10, Vaguely said:

I don’t believe sucking the water out would work.

It does. I have used this method for 16 years. Open the drain cock, and then suck out on each tap on the cold and then the hot side, including the shower.

8 hours ago, BOAC said:

It does. I have used this method for 16 years. Open the drain cock, and then suck out on each tap on the cold and then the hot side, including the shower.

It also works if you blow into each tap, thats what I do! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Do the same insulation gradings apply to statics and tourers?

I seem to remember that for the past 10 years or so most tourers have been Grade 3 - ok inside when it's down to about -15c outside  but thats with the heating on.   With all the vents and gas drop holes it must get a lot colder inside with no heating and a chill wind.  So I always drain down as best I can.

Another thought - can non-return valves effect drain down ?

20 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

Another thought - can non-return valves effect drain down ?

If there are any they will need to be removed/disconnected or if they have a drain plug that should be removed. Same applies to any thermostatic valves such as showers and maybe to the bath but in this case it will be hidden in the pipes below the taps so a bath panel will need removing.

Thanks Paul1957.

I wonder how many folk have thought they've drained down when really they may not have.

It is a good idea to put antifreeze/concentrated screen wash in all the U bends, particularly the shower U bend as this is outside thehcaravan, also dose the toilet bowl the same a s his does not drain