Hi all. I've just purchased a Bailey Unicorn Valencia 2015 model.  It comes without a leisure battery and the dealer says a new battery is £126. Is that a fair price or can anyone give me an idea of which battery I need. All I know is that apparently it is low profile (as it's under the bedroom floor. Any help appreciate TIA

• JanandJay changed the title to Leisure Battery

This cost me £149. Low profile. 

Low profile it when the terminals are level with the battery

AGMLB6110-Platinum.jpg

• Thanks 1

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

27 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

This cost me £149. Low profile. 

Low profile it when the terminals are level with the battery

That's an AGM, the dealer that the OP is talking about is probably wants to supply a wet (lead/acid) battery.

It depends on the amps required, but a good quality 100ah battery can be had for under £100.

Edited by macquatic
Spelling!
  • Thanks 1

You need to measure the space where the battery will fit since both vary. Have a look at the Tayna site which gives battery dimensions, also the Alpha site which also gives the number of battery charges so an idea of how long the battery may last.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

If you want an agm battery you need to make sure the charger in the caravan can support one since I think they need a higher voltage than ordinary lead acid ones.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1
12 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

You need to measure the space where the battery will fit since both vary. Have a look at the Tayna site which gives battery dimensions, also the Alpha site which also gives the number of battery charges so an idea of how long the battery may last.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

If you want an agm battery you need to make sure the charger in the caravan can support one since I think they need a higher voltage than ordinary lead acid ones.

Bailey's own web site sells batteries for their vans and these are AGM.  Our Valencia 2015 worked fine with AGM battery.  The charger will suit it fine.

• Thanks 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

hi i had a 2018 vigo that fits under bed my battery fitted in to the recess it was the height that was a about 10mm ish to high all i done was break some of the fins on the underside of the lid and it fitted if its the same as the vigo ,? so you might not need a low profile 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

Bailey's own web site sells batteries for their vans and these are AGM.  Our Valencia 2015 worked fine with AGM battery.  The charger will suit it fine.

The Prima parts states "No Vehicles  Sorry there are no vehicles this part fits" against both Banner AGM batteries on there. ;)  They are extremely over-priced, too.

I also think the basic BCA charger-psu Bailey use won't properly suit AGM batteries, being 13.6-13.8V fixed voltage.  BUT the standard fitted solar panel's charger can be set to suit both AGM or flooded wet cell batteries so the battery type choice is down to the user {but the solar charger must be set to suit the type of battery fitted or it will shorten the life of said battery}.  Likely selection should be based on EHU-only or regular 'off grid' use, plus whether a mover is used or not.

The exact make and model of battery offered by the dealer will determine its value relative to other suppliers of batteries.

• Thanks 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Another vote for Tayna. Excellent website, advice service and fast delivery.

• I agree completely 1

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Cutting across this thread slightly with a related battery question...... if one doesn’t intend to go off grid and use the battery exclusively during habitation, why the need for a ‘leisure’ battery? As ours is primarily required for the motor mover (ie heavy draw) and we are always on EHU pitches which supply the charger ...or the caravan is stored at home with a  trickle charger, why can’t an ordinary large car battery suffice?  

It’s a bit of a loaded question because 2 years ago in France I had to buy a new battery and the only one available was a 90Amp ‘car’ battery....at a lot less cost than leisure batteries in the UK. This has performed faultlessly (kiss of death statement 🙄) as demanded.

I suppose  if you buy a car battery and it survives and does the job against the tasks set against it then all's well. If it fails in a short time then you know to buy a more expensive leisure battery next time, It is the off grid issue with repeated charging that the heavier plated leisure batteries come into play. 

Being that car batteries are not that expensive relative to leisure batteries then a bit of speculation isn't going to be the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Cutting across this thread slightly with a related battery question...... if one doesn’t intend to go off grid and use the battery exclusively during habitation, why the need for a ‘leisure’ battery? As ours is primarily required for the motor mover (ie heavy draw) and we are always on EHU pitches which supply the charger ...or the caravan is stored at home with a  trickle charger, why can’t an ordinary large car battery suffice?  

Until a recent change of vans, I was using a 75 ah car battery in a 2200 kg Vanmaster with a fair amount of mover-usage.  Cheap-ish Battery and performed perfectly. 

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

I had to replace our caravan battery a couple of weeks ago and looked at getting a car battery the same as in our car so it could be used in either. However, the correct car battery was dearer than a leisure battery so I did not bother.

In following on from my above comment having now read the SWIFT user manual - it is raining today- it says quite specifically that for Swifts a car battery is not suitable. 

this is a very informative video from an independent expert on all things caravans.

My take on leisure / car battery is this ;

If you go off grid regularly, resulting in heavy discharge of battery, then a leisure battery is a must. 
However, if you never go off grid, always using hookup, then your battery should never be heavily discharged, so a car battery would suffice. 

It appears that it’s the deep discharge / recharge cycles that destroy the battery, that’s why most leisure battery’s have charge/discharge cycle values. 

I would add, if you have an alarm or tracker, then a leisure battery would seem the better choice, simply because over a fairly short time, the battery will be discharged. 

48 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I would add, if you have an alarm or tracker, then a leisure battery would seem the better choice, simply because over a fairly short time, the battery will be discharged. 

Agreed but maybe not the case with Sargent where they claim their alarm battery will last for a number of months (I think 4 but not sure)

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

5 hours ago, Fenester said:

In following on from my above comment having now read the SWIFT user manual - it is raining today- it says quite specifically that for Swifts a car battery is not suitable. 

It depends which Swift handbook you read...

”It should be remembered that batteries suitable for the electrical demands of a caravan differ in design from those for use with a car, and whilst the system may operate with a car battery it is strongly recommended that only a leisure type battery, maintained in good condition is used.”

My take on that statement is that if you are using a caravan’s 12v systems without the continuous top up from the caravan’s battery charger, the demands on the battery will be such that a leisure type battery would be recommended for extended use. 

I don’t know if a car battery being continuously topped up by the on board charger would deteriorate faster than a leisure battery?