Porch awning

Jonmcd43

Hi I'm looking advice I recently bought a new  Porch awning for my Bailey Ranger 460/2 but every time I fit it to the caravan I always have a 2" gap around the bottom I would have thought that it should be tighter to the ground to where the peg ties are fitted, the awning spec says it should fit a van 235cm to 250cm and I measured the hight of my Awning rail which is 236cm from the ground. Am I doing something wrong or do other people also have the gap around the bottom ?

It sounds to me that the fabric may have been tensioned too much , possibly by over inflating the air bladders. Have you tried reducing the pressure slightly, and if so can the awning still hold its shape?

Alternatively, if you have a pole frame of a fixed size, it could be that the material has been cut a little too small, or you have an inadequate depth of mudflap material. Are the walls pegged down vertically, or splayed out slightly, as the latter will require more material. Also is it possible to reduce the height of the front poles?

What make is your awning?

We all know that all awning companies state it should be erected on level ground for the best fit but that is almost impossible on a lot of pitches. Now depending on which way the ground slopes makes a difference to how the awning fits to your caravan, some won't sit tight to your van and some will lift up off the ground by a fair bit. It's something we just live with.

PS 

I do have short ladder fixings as well as long ones for different occasion's. 

Edited by Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

A porch awning is intended to fit a caravan with a given awning rail height and a specified width of level rail, while a full awning is specified by the length of the awning rail measured from ground to ground.

A full awning should fit regardless of the terrain. If the ground slopes away from the caravan than pole height adjustment should allow for this. If however it slopes fore and aft along the caravan body, a full awning should be able to slide along the awning channel to allow for this.

The problem comes with a porch awning when the front height can be adjusted but the only side wall adjustment available is to move the walls more or less towards vertical to take up any slack. Unfortunately if the porch is designed to have vertical wall on level ground, there will always be a gap at one side or the other if the caravan is not parallel to the ground. 

image.png

Some can look quite odd when pitched on a slope.