Powrtouch customer service

Back in 2017 when I purchased my new caravan, after a lot of research I decided to go with Powrtouch for a motor mover. This was based on glowing customer reviews and their 5 year “No quibble guarantee”

For 3 years the mover has performed as expected, all good so far.

Back in July this year, trying to move the caravan out of storage for my first trip away this year, I found one side not to be engaging (automatic mover)

It turns out, after trying the “red t wrench” and even a socket on a big t bar that the actuation motor is seized.

So I ring Powrtouch on the 11th of July, and told no worry we will get an engineer out to you.

I haven’t heard from the engineer so ring again on the 24th July and told the engineer will contact you, still no call back

Called again on the 27th July to say I am going away and would really like this fixed, still no call back

Phoned again on the 31st July to say I still have not heard anything from the engineer and was told that “We have sent him the part and he will contact you as soon as possible”

Decided to leave it a while before calling again.

Called again on the 17th August, same old fob off, an engineer will call you but it never happens

Last phone call was on the 17th of September, where I was told by someone “This is not acceptable and I will escalate it and call you back” Never happened.

We are now on the 5th October and still I have not heard from either Powrtouch or the engineer.

That is almost three months and no contact from anyone!!

Given the current Covid situation I can understand a delay, but I cannot understand why no one bothers to even call to explain the delay, I don’t mind waiting but would really like someone to call to explain the delay and arrange a date for when it is going to be fixed?

As and when I change my current caravan and have a new mover fitted it will definitely not be a Powrtouch. I cannot believe how poor their customer service is, is this result of them being bought out by Truma I wonder?

Maybe you should take this on board if you are thinking of having a Powrtouch mover fitted? They might be the “best” but there is no point having it if you can’t get it fixed when it breaks.

5 year “no quibble” guarantee? It looks like the customer has to constantly quibble to get it repaired (not that it has worked in my case) or am I being unreasonable expecting it to be fixed so soon?

I take it you know Powrtouch is owned by Truma.  Try their customer service number. 01283 587960

First of all, Powrtouch do not have their own engineers, they use Approved Workshop engineers who , like everyone else are restricted by the current virus situation and have to fit these repairs into their work schedule. 

Secondly, ever since the takeover by Truma the speed of things being done has become abysmal.

For example, I have folk coming to my area on holiday for a week and their moved will not work.

I phone Truma on Monday for the spares required but as my surname starts with T, they , in their wisdom do not send the part out to me until Friday, by which time the customer is waiting at  the boat to go home !!!!

Under the original owners, parts were dispatched the same or next day on 24 hour delivery.

Edited by Brecon

A totally unacceptable delay.

ask for the engineers contact details.

can you get Truma uk's managing director details from here?  If they own Powrtouch he may help 

https://rocketreach.co/martin-fitzpatrick-email_80579391

macafee2

1 hour ago, Harrib0 said:

Back in 2017 when I purchased my new caravan, after a lot of research I decided to go with Powrtouch for a motor mover. This was based on glowing customer reviews and their 5 year “No quibble guarantee”

For 3 years the mover has performed as expected, all good so far.

Back in July this year, trying to move the caravan out of storage for my first trip away this year, I found one side not to be engaging (automatic mover)

It turns out, after trying the “red t wrench” and even a socket on a big t bar that the actuation motor is seized.

So I ring Powrtouch on the 11th of July, and told no worry we will get an engineer out to you.

I haven’t heard from the engineer so ring again on the 24th July and told the engineer will contact you, still no call back

Called again on the 27th July to say I am going away and would really like this fixed, still no call back

Phoned again on the 31st July to say I still have not heard anything from the engineer and was told that “We have sent him the part and he will contact you as soon as possible”

Decided to leave it a while before calling again.

Called again on the 17th August, same old fob off, an engineer will call you but it never happens

Last phone call was on the 17th of September, where I was told by someone “This is not acceptable and I will escalate it and call you back” Never happened.

We are now on the 5th October and still I have not heard from either Powrtouch or the engineer.

That is almost three months and no contact from anyone!!

Given the current Covid situation I can understand a delay, but I cannot understand why no one bothers to even call to explain the delay, I don’t mind waiting but would really like someone to call to explain the delay and arrange a date for when it is going to be fixed?

As and when I change my current caravan and have a new mover fitted it will definitely not be a Powrtouch. I cannot believe how poor their customer service is, is this result of them being bought out by Truma I wonder?

Maybe you should take this on board if you are thinking of having a Powrtouch mover fitted? They might be the “best” but there is no point having it if you can’t get it fixed when it breaks.

5 year “no quibble” guarantee? It looks like the customer has to constantly quibble to get it repaired (not that it has worked in my case) or am I being unreasonable expecting it to be fixed so soon?

Hi Haribo, I bought an almost new van July 2018, had the mover changed from my other van,few weeks later a problem.

Then I had exactly the same experience as you,promise after promise,then nothing,I then rang the dealership,Salop Leisure,Shrewsbury,by chance I spoke to the MD ,he took over and within two hours i got a call from the engineer who Salop used.

The engineer came out and he was the most ignorant!nasty person I have ever had on my premises! He blamed me for the fact he had incorrectly done the change over,he was the one who had been ignoring requests to do a service call, I see you live in Wales,I live in Shropshire,be warned if it’s the same nasty guy I had, I cannot believe Pro touch employ him.

Yes I am phoning the correct number.

I fully understand what you are saying Brecon, all I am asking for is someone to speak to me and explain the delay. I understand that we are still in a pandemic, but during this time I have had my caravan serviced and the fridge repaired. If for work purposes, you can travel in and out of lockdown areas. If the engineer wasn't happy to do that then I would understand. As I have said a simple phone call to explain would suffice

Powrtouch just try and fob me off with any old excuse.

From the the sounds of it, I hope Pheasant, that I don't get that engineer (that said I have been promised two different ones and neither bother to call me)

Thanks macafee2, I'll give that a try ... nothing to lose

50 minutes ago, Harrib0 said:

Yes I am phoning the correct number.

There are two numbers:

Powrtouch customer service- 01283 587900

Truma customer service -

01283 587960

Edited by Legal Eagle

If Truma are indeed involved, the delay doesn't surprise me. We've been waiting since just before pre lockdown in March for a Truma engineer to visit our dealer to sort out a noisy a/c unit which was fitted by Truma themselves in February 2020.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Never had any problems with PwrTouch and their engineer has always contacted me straight away  and round to fix it as soon as he got the parts, he even delayed going on holiday by a day to fit a new mover to my van.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

7 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Never had any problems with PwrTouch and their engineer has always contacted me straight away  and round to fix it as soon as he got the parts, he even delayed going on holiday by a day to fit a new mover to my van.

Ian

Was this before or after Truma took them over?

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

4 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

Was this before or after Truma took them over?

Before and after.

Earlier this year one mover pushed its torque block through the cover and broke it, they supplied 4 new covers FOC as they have changed the design.

Ian

I too have had cause to contact Truma PowrWheel on at least 3 occasions. An engineer has attended promptly (same person) and fixed the issue (new control box and/or remote, rubber gaiters). On the last occasion he noticed that the manual activation lever was stiff so he removed the covers on both sides and lubricated the mechanism.

I have discovered, however, there is a slight "good cop - bad cop" response at Truma. One person in the team is very calm and helpful in taking you through checks, the other a bit more formal and abrasive (not rude, just not as reassuring).

In agreement with very poor service from Powrtouch since they were taken over by Truma    Firstly you have to get past the technical staff who insist on having a diagnostic call with you - and won’t send an engineer out unless you’ve done it.   Very difficult to do inside the van when you need the legs up to test! 

Our bar is bent and just needs replacing but since August it’s taken three phone calls so far and still no engineer.   Having to repeat ourselves multiple times to explain the situation.   Now told items out of stock due to Covid and still waiting for engineer to call.   

I think the takeover has caused the company to lose its personalised feel and customer care is not their priority.    If we ever need a replacement which is looking likely, we will choose a different brand.  

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Are you trying to turn the Tee bar clockwise ?, the motors are very small and I don't think there is anything in them that can seize. I had the same problem and it was the unit driving too far and jamming on the end of the screw thread, the motor relies on the control panel seeing a increase in current to cut out the motor and if this does not happen quickly then it jams on the end of the thread.

During the 5yrs I had mine I had a new control panel, two  actuator motors and several seized threads so when the  actuator control panel failed again (they are a small panel that plugs into the main panel but are not sold separately ) when 3 months out of warranty  I did a deal with the engineer, he bought my system for spares and I now have a manual system  and I am happy.

From my original post

So if I'm reading your post correctly, in the 5 yrs that you have had a Powrtouch mover you have had:

New control panel

Two acutuator motors

"Several seized threads"??

And another control panel?

I think I am now happy to sell mine for spares and buy something else as I can't see this ever getting repaired!

I had an engagement motor which seized at about a year old, when the engineer changed it it was full of water.

Ian

5th Oct 2020. Brought my caravan out of storage and discovered that the offside mover wasn't parking properly. Phoned the number on the user manual and was connected within 5mins. Explained to the rep what was happening and he reckoned a circlip had come loose which meant the actuator was pushing towards the rear of the van (as luck would have it, it didn't snap the grey cover). I was told that he would organize a repair. The following day, I was contacted by the engineer who said he would be out on Thursday 8th to fix the fault. Engineer arrived on the Thursday and had the mover fixed within 15mins of arriving. It turns out it wasn't a circlip. There are two bolts that hold the actuator in place. These had come loose and fallen out. He replaced the bolts and all was well. He suggested that I get in touch with the company and request two new plastic covers which I duly did on Friday 9th. These arrived at my house on Sat 10th. All in all, I would say that is great service by anyone's standards. The mover is a Powrtouch Evolution fitted to a Sterling caravan and I live in Fife. Engineer was a very pleasant gentleman from Kinross. I posted this thinking others might want to check the bolts periodically. I certainly will

Wow Bill, it just shows there’s two sides to every story (perhaps not the right phrase, but you get my drift🙂).

As an aside - I do wonder how this thread has been allowed to run with the comments that have been made about Powrtouch and Truma, and with such a thread title.

Quote from the forum rules - “Please avoid posting overly negative … comments about companies …. Such posts will be removed … naming and shaming is expressly forbidden”.

John

On 06/10/2020 at 08:16, Pebble said:

If Truma are indeed involved, the delay doesn't surprise me. We've been waiting since just before pre lockdown in March for a Truma engineer to visit our dealer to sort out a noisy a/c unit which was fitted by Truma themselves in February 2020.

I find that hard to understand.
I emailed my dealer about a noisy aircon unit on the 9th July. By coincidence they had a Truma engineer there, training some of their engineers, so I sent an audio recording on another email. The dealer phoned me back to say the guy said it needed looking at, and the caravan was booked in for the 13th. The inspection, carried out by the dealers engineers, revealed the need for a complete replacement unit.  I rang the dealer 2 weeks later and they said they hadn’t heard back from Truma. On 3rd August the dealer rang to offer several dates for Truma engineer to come and look at the unit, before approving a new unit! I confess I was a bit peeved Truma didn’t trust the opinion of their trained dealer engineers.

Because I was taking a short holiday, I deferred the repair date until 7th Sept.

On 7th Sep I dropped the caravan off at the dealer...they rang me 1hour later to say the Truma engineer had inspected it and said it DID need a complete new unit.....but as he had brought one of the latest model with him, would I agree for him to replace the entire unit.

Yes!  Picked the caravan up next morning.

My dealer has been berated by many on this forum (myself included in the past) However, this time I had to concede they really did the business...especially if ordinarily Truma are difficult to contact and prompt into action over warranty issues.

The fact the Truma guy brought a replacement unit ‘just in case’ he couldn’t repair it was unexpected and very proactive.

Edited by ericfield

On the subject of Powertouch repairs...I must have been lucky in the past. As others have said Powertouch don’t sent THEIR engineers they send authorised engineers near your location.

The guy near me (14miles) was a very friendly helpful guy, so much so that he gave me his mobile number and on a recent occasion when I needed his spannerwork, I rang HIM ....and HE rang Truma to authorise his visit to me.

I suspect it varies around the country but there are still good guys out there. 

6 hours ago, ericfield said:

On the subject of Powertouch repairs...I must have been lucky in the past. As others have said Powertouch don’t sent THEIR engineers they send authorised engineers near your location.

The guy near me (14miles) was a very friendly helpful guy, so much so that he gave me his mobile number and on a recent occasion when I needed his spannerwork, I rang HIM ....and HE rang Truma to authorise his visit to me.

I suspect it varies around the country but there are still good guys out there. 

totally agree that the engineers they send out are great - it’s just getting to that point which is the problem.   Certainly jumping through hoops seems to be the norm.     Our previous experience with Powrtouch was great until they  became part of Truma.  

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

On 11/10/2020 at 13:38, Johnaldo said:

As an aside - I do wonder how this thread has been allowed to run with the comments that have been made about Powrtouch and Truma, and with such a thread title.

Quote from the forum rules - “Please avoid posting overly negative … comments about companies …. Such posts will be removed … naming and shaming is expressly forbidden”.

John

I'm sorry, John, that you seem disappointed with my post (as I am  with Powrtouch/Truma) and the actions of the staff of Caravan Talk. I'm sure if I have "stepped outside the mark" my post would have been edited or removed or I would have a PM warning for posting it?

Caravan movers are not a new thing, there are lots of companies out there offering them with a 5 year warrenty and a there is lot of choice.

I rarely post on any forum but I feel that it is fair that potential buyers have a clear view from from both sides of a story before thay part with > £1200

I do not post anything that is not factual, this is just a honest account of my experience so far.

Hopefully I will come back and post something positive

On 11/10/2020 at 13:38, Johnaldo said:

John

Perhaps you should have read the forum rules in entirety  - they are:-

Negative Posts: Please avoid posting overly negative, aggressive or abusive comments about companies, organisations or individuals. Such posts will be removed, but ones taking a more subtle approach will probably remain, however naming and shaming is expressly forbidden.

I have put the relevant words in Bold.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

12 minutes ago, Harrib0 said:

I'm sorry, John, that you seem disappointed with my post (as I am  with Powrtouch/Truma) and the actions of the staff of Caravan Talk. I'm sure if I have "stepped outside the mark" my post would have been edited or removed or I would have a PM warning for posting it?

Caravan movers are not a new thing, there are lots of companies out there offering them with a 5 year warrenty and a there is lot of choice.

I rarely post on any forum but I feel that it is fair that potential buyers have a clear view from from both sides of a story before thay part with > £1200

I do not post anything that is not factual, this is just a honest account of my experience so far.

Hopefully I will come back and post something positive

“Please avoid posting overly negative … comments about companies …. Such posts will be removed … naming and shaming is expressly forbidden”.

I've not noticed that ^ with the thousands of posts complaining, some vociferously, and naming names about faults on caravans and all things caravanning !

Whatever next, don't complain about X brand of van because of the continuing well known and on going faults !

There is a vast difference between being overly negative and posting true verifiable facts about genuine faults, some very serious, poor service etc.  sadly many of  the reports of these faults and poor service are repeated by the manufacturers time and again, should it not be incumbent on posters to try to protect others from suffering the same fate as they have, without interference ?

There can be good and bad in the same products and services  experienced by consumers, as always and as we see on CT, in most instances both side are given.

However we should shy away from wanting to paint an ' overly positive picture ' , as sometimes happens, but nothing gets done about these, by wanting to censor an ' overly negative picture '

The truth should be allowed to come out, however negative or positive it may appear to some, otherwise any one sided discussion is pointless.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

With regard to the rules, I think the forum is very lightly moderated with regard to people with problems about vans, parts or dealers.

Removal of posts is rare. But there again I am biased. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• Gordon changed the title to Powrtouch customer service