10 minutes ago, Jim Heaney said:

should I switch the pump off until we need to use water or are you meant to leave it on all the time?

The norm is to leave the pump switched on at the wall switch   The pump should only run when you open a tap, then turn off a second or two after closing all taps

• I agree completely 1

:Thankyou:

Thanks for coming back to let us know what happened, though not apparently cured yet and as Brecon says it's possibly the pump, but could be other things.

Out of curiosity, what fuse was it ( number ) and is it one you previously checked but it appeared OK ?

Info like this is always handy for folk  with similar faults.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Brecon said:

It would suggest that a new pump is required.

The pump is brand new. New van, so just used over three weekends. 

5 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

:Thankyou:

Thanks for coming back to let us know what happened, though not apparently cured yet and as Brecon says it's possibly the pump, but could be other things.

Out of curiosity, what fuse was it ( number ) and is it one you previously checked but it appeared OK ?

Info like this is always handy for folk  with similar faults.

The fuse is marked as pump. It’s 10A. 

Been reading about the pump online. So wondering if there might be an issue with one of the tap switches. 

I have had a very similar experience once in the past. The pump just packed in working one day in Corsica. I never got to the bottom of what happened but the pump worked fine from then on until I sold the caravan (about 18 months) 

Fingers crossed yours does the same!

As it’s a new caravan I would contact the selling dealer and explain what’s happened and see what they have to say. 

• I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

What type of pump is it , a positive displacement or a axial type ?  

Just for info a pump ( although it is a  whole unit ) inside is actually made up of 2 parts , the electric side which is a a an induction motor driving a shaft connected to a mechanical side the impeller  , the electrical side could be drawing too much current due to a mechanical failure of the pump , this will cause the fuse to rupture . I would suggest given the fuse did rupture then it’s on the mechanical side the issue and not an electrical problem is the pump clogged ? Is there some extraordinary pressure on the outlet side preventing rotation of the pump 

Let us know what the dealer says please 

Edited by Buck5555
20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have had a very similar experience once in the past. The pump just packed in working one day in Corsica. I never got to the bottom of what happened but the pump worked fine from then on until I sold the caravan (about 18 months) 

Fingers crossed yours does the same!

As it’s a new caravan I would contact the selling dealer and explain what’s happened and see what they have to say. 

Hopefully ours will be the same and will work properly from now on. 

I’ve to take the caravan over to the dealer in the next couple of weeks to get a bike rack fitted as they didn’t have any in stock so I’ll ask them about the pump when I’m there. Not sure if we will get away in the van for a while now unfortunately. 

Just turned up on site at Minehead. Filled the aquaroll and primed the system as per normal. Two minutes later went to wash my hands and???

Pump didn’t start up!!!!

Quick trip outside and gave the plug a quick wiggle and all fine again. It must be corrosion on the contacts in the socket/plug :rolleyes: Reckon I will be buying the Whale conversion !! 

26 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Just turned up on site at Minehead. Filled the aquaroll and primed the system as per normal. Two minutes later went to wash my hands and???

Pump didn’t start up!!!!

Quick trip outside and gave the plug a quick wiggle and all fine again. It must be corrosion on the contacts in the socket/plug :rolleyes: Reckon I will be buying the Whale conversion !! 

Although I agree with you re the Whale conversion - I have changed both my internal and external to Whale High Flows - but it can still happen with the Whale.  That's why I keep one of OH's emery boards in my 'man drawer'!

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

58 minutes ago, richardandros said:

That's why I keep one of OH's emery boards in my 'man drawer'!

Oh I have some  “wet and dry” in my man drawer, along with a few lengths of electrical wire (12v) some hose clips, gaffer tape, superglue, Araldite, a couple of spring clamps, spare fuses, a length of stainless wire, awning repair tape,  multimeter, spare TV connectors (F type and co-ax)  Stanley knife, slip link pliers, Phillips screwdrivers (small and large) etc etc. Probably never going need any of them..........

But you never know do you?  

Oh, and a Leatherman on my belt! 

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Oh I have some  “wet and dry” in my man drawer, along with a few lengths of electrical wire (12v) some hose clips, gaffer tape, superglue, Araldite, a couple of spring clamps, spare fuses, a length of stainless wire, awning repair tape,  multimeter, spare TV connectors (F type and co-ax)  Stanley knife, slip link pliers, Phillips screwdrivers (small and large) etc etc. Probably never going need any of them..........

But you never know do you?  

Oh, and a Leatherman on my belt! 

• Haha 1