Hi. I’m new to this game. Just got a new Adria Tyne a few weeks ago. Just back from second weekend away.

before we left the site yesterday I noticed that the dc power indicator was at zero and the water pump had switched off. I was still connected to the site power.  Everything had been working fine up until then. Today I have connected the van to my electric at home but the indicator still shows zero. I’m assuming the leisure battery isn’t charging or maybe there is a different issue. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks.

There are several possibilities, but for a new van it is better to get the dealer to sort it out unless you can get some clues from the handbook.

I am assuming that the mains equipment works and that you have any master switch turned on! 

Dealer is closed today. Master switch is on.  Can’t see any info about a charger on/off switch though I’m finding it hard to understand the manual and knowing what specific info applies to my model. I’m sure it’s a simple issue to sort. 

First question is are the internal 13 amp sockets live? 

Assuming it’s a brand new caravan ..........

Second question.

Is there a leisure battery fitted to your caravan? Most DONT come with one as standard. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Yes the sockets are live and the lights are working. Yes we have a leisure battery fitted. It’s a new van. 

So clearly there is 240v getting to the caravan, which is a good start.

Sorry about the battery question but as I said before they don’t come as a standard fitment on a new caravan, they are an extra. Have you actually checked there is a battery fitted (and its connected)? 

The reason I ask is because even if your battery is discharged I would expect to see some voltage showing at the meter, if it is showing zero it points to no battery or no connection at all. Does anything work (lights etc) if the EHU is not connected? 

At zero volts shown on the meter, it indicates nothing coming from the battery.  Are you sure it's connected?

Yes lights etc working when EHU is not connected. Indicator was showing 12 watts until mid morning yesterday. Battery was installed by dealer so I’m pretty sure it’s connected okay. 

If your lights are working then there IS power in your battery so it’s not flat! 

Do you have a solar panel fitted?

The reason I ask is because you make reference to a display showing Watts and that usually relates to power coming IN from a solar panel.

A battery display will show volts not Watts Is there any writing on the display ??

A picture of the display might help if you could post one. 

OK, Without being there it’s difficult to diagnose any further. 

I suggest you ring the dealer in the morning as they will be familiar with your particular model (which I am not) I don’t think it’s anything serious as you are still getting 12v to power your onboard systems.

if your lights are working, that shows that your 12v is working, so is it your 240v that is not working? Have you checked your RCD hasn't tripped?

40 minutes ago, joanie said:

if your lights are working, that shows that your 12v is working, so is it your 240v that is not working? Have you checked your RCD hasn't tripped?

Do pay attention at the back! 

2 hours ago, Jim Heaney said:

Yes the sockets are live and the lights are working. Yes we have a leisure battery fitted. It’s a new van. 

2 hours ago, Jim Heaney said:

Yes lights etc working when EHU is not connected. Indicator was showing 12 watts until mid morning yesterday. Battery was installed by dealer so I’m pretty sure it’s connected okay. 

1 hour ago, Jim Heaney said:

Sorry yes I should have said volts. Photo attached. 

C229C9F8-4EAC-4AFE-B55F-38847ABBABFA.jpeg

Everything appears to be working except the gauge that shows DC volts! 

Looks like the voltmeter has packed up or the +12V  or 0V connection to it may have failed in some way.

Basic moving coil instruments like that pictured can fail, albeit fairly rarely - the wires are incredibly thin and fragile;  plus to get the meter to work on a 9-16 V range as in the picture  will require a few resistors in a circuit so further fault potential (pun intended) there - along with dry solder joints or bad crimps. 

The unit may be like this tragically assembled item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-Line-9-16v-Analogue-Needle-Voltmeter-Battery-Voltage-Display-12v-DC-Fits-CBE-/254516399067 which uses a Powerpart (BCA group) meter I suspect.

A simple matter for the dealer to fix I'd think, though.

In the meantime if the OP has a multimeter it's worth checking the battery has the correct voltage when on charge and off ehu?

• I agree completely 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Do pay attention at the back! 

Everything appears to be working except the gauge that shows DC volts! 

The water pump isn’t working either. It went off while we were on site on Sunday. That’s when I noticed the meter was at zero.  I wonder could the pump be the cause of the issue and or could we have a fuse or fuses blown?

There might be a blown fuse, so it is worth checking, but if it was on the pump the other problems should not occur.

Fuses all seem to be okay. Waiting for the dealers technician to call me back. Hopefully he can sort it over the phone so I don’t have to drive it over for them to look at. 

By the way, thanks everyone for the replies. 

17 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Looks like the voltmeter has packed up or the +12V  or 0V connection to it may have failed in some way.

Basic moving coil instruments like that pictured can fail, albeit fairly rarely - the wires are incredibly thin and fragile;  plus to get the meter to work on a 9-16 V range as in the picture  will require a few resistors in a circuit so further fault potential (pun intended) there - along with dry solder joints or bad crimps. 

The unit may be like this tragically assembled item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-Line-9-16v-Analogue-Needle-Voltmeter-Battery-Voltage-Display-12v-DC-Fits-CBE-/254516399067 which uses a Powerpart (BCA group) meter I suspect.

A simple matter for the dealer to fix I'd think, though.

In the meantime if the OP has a multimeter it's worth checking the battery has the correct voltage when on charge and off ehu?

The Op says he has two perceived problems,1) voltmeter showing zero and 2) water pump not working.

He then goes on to say " Yes lights etc working when EHU is not connected."

The battery obviously is able to run other services so it's not the battery or battery connections.

So, he has actually got two problems, or is it one ?

E.g. a fuse that supplies both the meter and pump, or an internal connection in the fuse box / consumer unit serving both the pump and meter failed ?

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

The Op says he has two perceived problems,1) voltmeter showing zero and 2) water pump not working.

He then goes on to say " Yes lights etc working when EHU is not connected."

The battery obviously is able to run other services so it's not the battery or battery connections.

So, he has actually got two problems, or is it one ?

E.g. a fuse that supplies both the meter and pump, or an internal connection in the fuse box / consumer unit serving both the pump and meter failed ?

OP was not that clear in the posts before mine that both the pump and meter were not working (not sure why you've quoted all of my post ?)  I certainly never suggested it was the battery or battery connections.

Anyway it's the Dealers problem to diagnose and fix now as all the fuses "appear" to be OK.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Since the meter only indicates down to 9 volts it may be that the battery is actually at 9 volts but still able to power the lights, especially if they are LEDs.  

16 minutes ago, Jim Heaney said:

Fuses all seem to be okay. Waiting for the dealers technician to call me back. Hopefully he can sort it over the phone so I don’t have to drive it over for them to look at. 

By the way, thanks everyone for the replies. 

Hi Jim you say all fuses are OK

If so,have you actually removed it to check to see if it's not actually blown ?

The reason I ask is that car type blade fuses can appear to be OK when looking through the tell-tale slot at the top of the fuse, however, occasionally when removed and viewed side on they have obviously blown, very rarely the connection between one of the blades and the fuse-able strip has parted company.

As always, if you suspect a fuse or a fault on a circuit it only takes seconds to pop a spare fuse in to test.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

OP was not that clear in the posts before mine that both the pump and meter were not working (not sure why you've quoted all of my post ?)  I certainly never suggested it was the battery or battery connections.

Anyway it's the Dealers problem to diagnose and fix now as all the fuses "appear" to be OK.

OP was not that clear in the posts before mine that both the pump and meter were not working...........

You posted 17 hrs ago, the ops first post  23 hrs ago he stated " before we left the site yesterday I noticed that the dc power indicator was at zero and the water pump had switched off."

He also posted 22 and 21 hrs ago, repeating and reiterating that 1) the meter wasn't working and 2) the pump wasn't working.

You can't get clearer than that..............can you ?

(not sure why you've quoted all of my post ?)  

I usually quote whole posts to save any queries and others can get the gist of the reply, there are many edited quotes on CT which when read in conjunction with the answer don't always make sense , necessitating scrolling back to the original, the same applies to replies to a post from days previously that don't make sense  due to not knowing what the reply refers to   !

I certainly never suggested it was the battery or battery connections.

I certainly never suggest you had ? 🤷‍♂️

My general comment "The battery obviously is able to run other services so it's not the battery or battery connections."  was a comment arrived at after ' carefully ' , reading all the posts, question and answers and to save anyone saying it may be the battery or battery connections!

Guys thanks for all the help. Turns out it was a fuse. 
But we were away again this weekend. Everything working fine until mid afternoon on Saturday when the pump stopped working again. This time the light was still on and the meter reading as it should. I disconnected everything and started it again a couple of times but it wouldn’t come on. So I concluded that it was maybe a faulty pump. Just plugged it in again today to check and it worked straight away. 
the pump is the truma ultraflow. 
anyone any thoughts?

could the pump be overheating?

should I switch the pump off until we need to use water or are you meant to leave it on all the time?

• Thanks 1