Increase in Covid rates throughout Britain

6 minutes ago, PeterR said:

Here's an interesting one for you ..... 2 huge universities here in Newcastle upon Tyne opened up just 2 weeks ago welcoming students from all over the country ....

.In the last week over 700 students ( from just one of these universities ) have tested positive for CV 19

This weekend (4th/5th October )....

4 students have died .."..NOT from CV 19 "....... but drug related !....

NO Student died from CV 19 ......Yet !..

Puts it into perspective eh ?

Sadly student deaths are all too common, alcohol, drugs and suicide.

The ones that sadden me most are the suicides resulting from clever people finding out that they are not quite as clever as they thought! Typically people believing that their lives have been ruined because they are likely to only get a 2:1!

Not surprising though that there have not yet been any Covid deaths yet among these students.

Firstly because Young healthy adults have a much better prognosis than the old and frail, Ans secondly, After only 2weeks of term the disease will not yet have run its full course (one week to incubate, one week to progress normally, and a further week or so to its ultimate unfortunate conclusion.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say a big thank you to all the Covidiots throughout Britain who spent "lockdown" trying to find reasons why "the rules" didn't apply to them. This is aimed at various politicians on ALL pol

Don’t you just love the Aussies approach....      

Seriously? Are we being imprisoned in rat infested gaols? Are we being tortured and maimed for our beliefs?  Are we being sent to foreign lands to fight for years?     NO...we are being asked

Posted Images

23 hours ago, WispMan said:

Statistics

Every 6 years the chances of dying IF you contract the virus, doubles. 

I am 74 so my 40'ish children are 30 times less likely to die. 

To a 20 something I am 1,000 times more likely to die. 

We wear a mask to collect our grandchildren from primary school. This is to protect the other parents, 30 years younger than us. They wear nothing and stand around in groups nattering though we are told by the school not to arrive early. 

I despair of these parents who are risking my life. 

Strange isn't it ?.... We've all been wearing face covering masks for two months now !!!!

Yet reported cases of CV 19......Have increased ?...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, PeterR said:

Strange isn't it ?.... We've all been wearing face covering masks for two months now !!!!

Face coverings never were  a particularly good measure in themselves, particularly since not everyone wears them.

Add to this schools, universities and hospitality businesses being open, a second wave was inevitable.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, reluctant said:

Perhaps the medical staff debated the issue and came to a 'Democratic' decision  :D

Indeed and maybe his illness is a hoax surrounded by fake news?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

36 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Yup, a couple of weeks in clink and a criminal record would probably make all the difference here.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

when this started, we were told that it was a virus and that it would probably ease off in the summer and come back again in the winter, so all this should be no surprise to us , except for the fact that it has come back a bit earlier than expected.  The children and the young adults (teenagers ) don't normally die from it or suffer too badly with it, but they can carry it and infect everyone else.   

The thing that people are not giving any thought to are the key workers who have worked all through these months, some without a proper holiday.  I don't just mean the NHS staff , thank you to them , but to all the other people who kept things ticking over, thank you to them.  How are they all fixed for doing it all again, how many will say , no sorry.

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2
3 hours ago, PeterR said:

at the beginning, the only infection figures were the number being admitted to hospital .. anyone else reporting symptoms were not counted, and they were told 'self isolate'  ..

now, anyone with symptoms  gets tested, and if confirmed gets told  'self isolate' .. so there has to be an increase in infection figures .. 

the important numbers are those dying, which whilst increasing, are not doing at the rate of the earlier wave ,, 

no reason to be complacent, ,, you still have to be careful how you mix with others .. 

Edited by Disco Kid
  • Like 2
  • I agree completely 2

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

With increased testing it was always going to result in an oncrease in positive results.

I am not saying there is not an increase in the number of cases about, but the hospital admissions figure provides a more accurate indication of the scale of the problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 3

Trevor.

Interesting to note that the Scottish MP, Margaret Ferrier, has said that she WON'T resign after she travelled from Glasgow to Westminster while she was waiting for the results of a Covid test and then made the return journey after having the positive results given to her. She has refused to resign despite having the SNP whip withdrawn and demands for her resignation made by her party leader Nicola Sturgeon. She has vowed to "keep fighting for my constituents because that's who I am." 

How can these hypocrites even stand to see their own reflection in the mirror? I'm sure that, if one of her constituents had done the same as her, she'd be calling for the authorities to throw the book at them. As the old Communist party were always accused of, we're all equal , but some are more equal than the rest.

Time for a change in Parliamentary rules so that offenders can be sacked by the Government of the day rather than expecting these hypocrites to resign honourably. (If they even know what "honourably" means).

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

11 minutes ago, Townie said:

Interesting to note that the Scottish MP, Margaret Ferrier, has said that she WON'T resign after she travelled from Glasgow to Westminster while she was waiting for the results of a Covid test and then made the return journey after having the positive results given to her. She has refused to resign despite having the SNP whip withdrawn and demands for her resignation made by her party leader Nicola Sturgeon. She has vowed to "keep fighting for my constituents because that's who I am." 

How can these hypocrites even stand to see their own reflection in the mirror? I'm sure that, if one of her constituents had done the same as her, she'd be calling for the authorities to throw the book at them. As the old Communist party were always accused of, we're all equal , but some are more equal than the rest.

Time for a change in Parliamentary rules so that offenders can be sacked by the Government of the day rather than expecting these hypocrites to resign honourably. (If they even know what "honourably" means).

She has vowed to "keep fighting for my constituents because that's who I am." .......................

..................... it should read.......... "keep fighting for my constituents  ..........£64,470pay,+ perks, + expenses, +  doing what I want because because I can and beggar the consequences,........I because that's who I am."

But that's politicians for you 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I think the local electorate can get rid of an MP without waiting for an election. If an MP is found guilty of a wrong doing a petition can be brought to remove them. This link  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015 lists the wrong doings as 

A custodial prison sentence of a year or less (longer sentences automatically disqualify MPs without need for a petition due to the Representation of the People Act 1981);

Suspension from the House of at least 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days, following a report by the Committee on Standards;

A conviction for providing false or misleading expenses claims.

Edited by Paul1957
1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

I think the local electorate can get rid of an MP without waiting for an election. If an MP is found guilty of a wrong doing a petition can be brought to remove them. This link  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015 lists the wrong doings as 

A custodial prison sentence of a year or less (longer sentences automatically disqualify MPs without need for a petition due to the Representation of the People Act 1981);

Suspension from the House of at least 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days, following a report by the Committee on Standards;

A conviction for providing false or misleading expenses claims.

Didn’t the constituents in Peterborough do just that when their MP was found guilty of perverting the course of justice by saying someone else  was speeding in her car ...to avoid her getting more points on her license?

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Townie said:

Interesting to note that the Scottish MP, Margaret Ferrier, has said that she WON'T resign after she travelled from Glasgow to Westminster while she was waiting for the results of a Covid test and then made the return journey after having the positive results given to her. She has refused to resign despite having the SNP whip withdrawn and demands for her resignation made by her party leader Nicola Sturgeon.

I note the word used is "demand" not request so no further comment is necessary.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

26 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Don’t you just love the Aussies approach....

0350FD04-AADF-45AC-BEFC-EE9E4735B891.png

It is a pity the same is not done here.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

On 05/10/2020 at 15:10, PeterR said:

We've all been wearing face covering masks for two months now !!!!

Maybe not quite all have been adhering to the rules, guidance, instructions etc.

Hence the latest government edict.

See a summary of the situation following the PM's statement yesterday 12th October 2020 :-

See CT thread where details and links have been posted this morning

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

That's my half term trip cancelled, Boris says I can drive away from Merseyside to work, but I can't tow my caravan to a site for a holiday.

I'll get the axle stands out then, van mothballed for the winter.

25 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

That's my half term trip cancelled, Boris says I can drive away from Merseyside to work, but I can't tow my caravan to a site for a holiday.

I'll get the axle stands out then, van mothballed for the winter.

Regrettably, that’s an attempt to ensure we are still alive and still have jobs next year....to enable us to use our caravans.

Edited by ericfield
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Regrettably, that’s an attempt to ensure we are still alive and still have jobs next year....to enable us to use our caravans.

Indeed, and muddled thinking. I'm more at risk from work than staying in my caravan,  my wife even more so as she works in a school.

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1

Looking at the wider picture, while some may consider themselves safer in a caravan, overall if we do not travel for non-essential journeys around the country, the easier it should be to minimise transmission of this virus.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

3 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Indeed, and muddled thinking. I'm more at risk from work than staying in my caravan,  my wife even more so as she works in a school.

I don’t see it as muddled thinking.  
Is the journey absolutely necessary or can it wait for a few weeks? 

We know a lot more about SARS-CoV-2 now than we did in the Spring.  For example we know that the majority of transmission occurs indoors, in poorly ventilated areas and with prolonged exposure.  See the attached chart for an example of relative risks from a presentation I was given recently.

Travelling with, and staying within, your own caravan is really not much of a risk to anyone.  It largely depends on what you plan to do when you get where you are going.  If it is a lot of outdoor activities (long walks with the dog etc) then it is unlikely to be any higher risk than doing those same things at home.  But if you are going to a lot of restaurants, pubs and such that you wouldn't normally be doing and spending time indoors then that is going to be a bigger risk.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

26 minutes ago, ericfield said:

I don’t see it as muddled thinking.  
Is the journey absolutely necessary or can it wait for a few weeks? 

Of course it can wait, I'm not bothered either way, but the caravan site owner might not be happy if they're losing trade and no compensation.

If they really wanted to minimise the risk they would go into full lockdown again, and close the schools and universities.  This business of pub meals is a case in point, and not paying the same furlough rates when people need it more for fuel bills.

Muddled.

2 minutes ago, Xyleth said:

We know a lot more about SARS-CoV-2 now than we did in the Spring.  For example we know that the majority of transmission occurs indoors, in poorly ventilated areas and with prolonged exposure.  See the attached chart for an example of relative risks from a presentation I was given recently.

Travelling with, and staying within, your own caravan is really not much of a risk to anyone.  It largely depends on what you plan to do when you get where you are going.  If it is a lot of outdoor activities (long walks with the dog etc) then it is unlikely to be any higher risk than doing those same things at home.  But if you are going to a lot of restaurants, pubs and such that you wouldn't normally be doing and spending time indoors then that is going to be a bigger risk.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

You are of course quite correct in your assessment of the risk.
However, the perception many people (who don’t have caravans) will have is that ‘it’s not fair’. That leads to them setting their own agenda.  

We had to stay at home when we were under official lockdown and saw the results.  Do we really need to be similarly ordered to stay at home or can we not behave like adults and apply some self discipline? 

• I agree completely 3