age of caravan

Older caravans with less technology do have their advantages for those of us who  are less technology freaks. Some of the current crop of systems seem to have features put there for the sake of it.

• Like 1

Sorry just to add to this for my clarification

right we have looked at the forums and damp seems to be a biggy

the older caravans frame were made of wood so I understand - water = rotten wood = disintegration

however, the newer caravans non wood frame , water gets in , that is a problem and needs the ingress route sorted, does it then just cause mould rather than rots the caravan

thanks angie

Regarding more recent vans, I think Elddis and Lunar still use wood for sides and roof. Not sure about Coachman. 

5 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Regarding more recent vans, I think Elddis and Lunar still use wood for sides and roof. Not sure about Coachman. 

thank you 

I see there is a bodywork forum , I will post this in there 

cheers

4 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Older caravans with less technology do have their advantages for those of us who  are less technology freaks. Some of the current crop of systems seem to have features put there for the sake of it.

Oh yes.  Our 2018 Swift allows me to communicate with the fridge with my mobile phone (and other unnecessary-for-me things).......  I think I use about 10% of what the Command system can do.

• Haha 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The girl at my work has a kettle in her house which she switched on using her phone from the livingroom

Such a useless very helpful bit of technology. 

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Wildwood,

That's rather like many cars today with all sorts of additions that have little or nothing to do with transporting people. In a similar vein, mobile phone once were used solely for talking and later for texting so batteries remained charged for a week or more - these days we're lucky if a battery last one day before needing a recharge.

As I've said many times before - not all change is necessarily an improvement.

Just give me a leak proof caravan and leave me to worry about any gizmos.

• I agree completely 3

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

2 hours ago, angie2020 said:

The girl at my work has a kettle in her house which she switched on using her phone from the livingroom

I fitted a dishwasher for a customer a couple of years ago that could be controlled via the internet. I still cannot see what good that would be. 

8 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Older caravans with less technology do have their advantages for those of us who  are less technology freaks.

They also have the great advantage of being more robust and reliable in the low tech

• Like 1

When looking at a carvan use your senses. Does it look as if its been looked after, then use your nose, a damp caravan smells of damp, lift the cushions and look in the cupboards. Does it smell dry.

An old dry caravan that has been loved is a better buy than a modern one that has been neglected.

• Like 2

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

AS above. Take a person who knows about vans AND a damp meter.  Pull down the fly screen on all windows and look for mould. It indicates damp. all the best. My 2004 Coachman was the best van I have owned!

Angie

a good honest dealer who will look after you is Murray’s Caravans on the A905 near Stirling , all his caravans are serviced by them they have a  big workshop and the lads in there are good . You will get a second hand caravan with a good warranty , check out his website Murray Caravans near Throsk   He has helped me out a few times with stuff , professional outfit as well and family business 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

They also have the great advantage of being more robust and reliable in the low tech

And the battery lasts longer without hookup. 

6 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Oh yes.  Our 2018 Swift allows me to communicate with the fridge with my mobile phone (and other unnecessary-for-me things).......  I think I use about 10% of what the Command system can do.

All new fangled technology has to pass the wife test. It has to work every time first time or at least the same amount as it’s analogue version or it is banned.  😂

Edited by halifaxdan
  • Haha 1
On 04/10/2020 at 16:45, angie2020 said:

.... ,we want to do what we have been talking about for years. That being get a dog and caravan

Well do not get me started about the price of pups just now . I would get a older dog but finding one that will be fine with a cat and is not from a puppy farm is a nightmare. This will need to wait until all the folk who have gotten lockdown dogs put them into rescue or the price of pups come down.

Drifting the thread a little... if you want a reasonable sized dog, don't discount being a Guide Dog puppy walker. There is a main centre at Falkirk so you should be in the catchment area.

We are on our second pup, who is currently 15 months old. She is ready to go to Advanced Training now,  but due to Covid, we will probably have her until the New Year.

Training the pup is mostly similar to a normal dog, with some additions and exceptions. It's not hard. You find you can take the pup almost anywhere,m which is great for touring - National Trust properties for instance. You have no need to be limited because the dog can't go in with you.

One of the oft asked questions is "How do you give the dog back?" It's not easy!  There are tears. But you know that you are going to have the dog for a year or so, so it's a finite thing. Our last pet was over 18 when we buried him, and neither of us want to go through that again. Having a pup suits our newly retired lifestyle. They love the caravan. If we want to go abroad or somewhere not dog friendly, a phone call will get a Boarder for the pup. For the "careful" financial types, you don't pay for food or vet bills, just bedding, a tag and toys - although there is a small allowance for this, as well as some travel expenses (that nobody actually claims for - we just love doing it). Downside is that you can never shop quickly because there's always someone who wants to Talk about the pup (fussing the dog outside the home environment is frowned upon). Upside for the Gentlemen is that a cuddly puppy is a real chick magnet!!! I have many more female acquaintances now than I ever had previously. And your own enjoyment notwithstanding, there is the fact that you are helping someone to have a life changer. You've seen the tv adverts, They do absolutely change lives. Hearing stories first hand from Guide Dog users is intensely moving.

You can also, if you're lucky, get a withdrawn pup. These are, I think £350 but the waiting list is huge, and I think you have to re-register every 6 months to stay on the list. 

Anyone who is tempted to puppy walk - or just board a pup,  feel free to PM me for more info.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, BOAC said:

If you follow the check list attached to THIS then you won't go far on the wrong track.

thats a super link thanks so much

5 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

Drifting the thread a little... if you want a reasonable sized dog, don't discount being a Guide Dog puppy walker. There is a main centre at Falkirk so you should be in the catchment area.

We are on our second pup, who is currently 15 months old. She is ready to go to Advanced Training now,  but due to Covid, we will probably have her until the New Year.

Training the pup is mostly similar to a normal dog, with some additions and exceptions. It's not hard. You find you can take the pup almost anywhere,m which is great for touring - National Trust properties for instance. You have no need to be limited because the dog can't go in with you.

One of the oft asked questions is "How do you give the dog back?" It's not easy!  There are tears. But you know that you are going to have the dog for a year or so, so it's a finite thing. Our last pet was over 18 when we buried him, and neither of us want to go through that again. Having a pup suits our newly retired lifestyle. They love the caravan. If we want to go abroad or somewhere not dog friendly, a phone call will get a Boarder for the pup. For the "careful" financial types, you don't pay for food or vet bills, just bedding, a tag and toys - although there is a small allowance for this, as well as some travel expenses (that nobody actually claims for - we just love doing it). Downside is that you can never shop quickly because there's always someone who wants to Talk about the pup (fussing the dog outside the home environment is frowned upon). Upside for the Gentlemen is that a cuddly puppy is a real chick magnet!!! I have many more female acquaintances now than I ever had previously. And your own enjoyment notwithstanding, there is the fact that you are helping someone to have a life changer. You've seen the tv adverts, They do absolutely change lives. Hearing stories first hand from Guide Dog users is intensely moving.

You can also, if you're lucky, get a withdrawn pup. These are, I think £350 but the waiting list is huge, and I think you have to re-register every 6 months to stay on the list. 

Anyone who is tempted to puppy walk - or just board a pup,  feel free to PM me for more info.

Firstly,

That is great work you are doing and I can imagine how hard it would be to hand them back so well done .

I will give this some thought and yes am in the catchment area. I did look at not up to speck pups but as you say the waiting list is massive

thanks again

On 06/10/2020 at 18:15, Dobloseven said:

I fitted a dishwasher for a customer a couple of years ago that could be controlled via the internet. I still cannot see what good that would be. 

A friend lives in a village where the poshest house was re-built complete with central heating with internet connection, controlled by the phone. Then someone drove into the telegraph pole and took out the internet, just before Christmas, and since the system didn't have a manual override set up, the proud owner, with a house full of guests, was apparently left standing next to his cold boiler, unable to switch it on.
Sorry, this is going Off Topic a little...  ;)

11 hours ago, Richard_Y said:

A friend lives in a village where the poshest house was re-built complete with central heating with internet connection, controlled by the phone. Then someone drove into the telegraph pole and took out the internet, just before Christmas, and since the system didn't have a manual override set up, the proud owner, with a house full of guests, was apparently left standing next to his cold boiler, unable to switch it on.
Sorry, this is going Off Topic a little...  ;)

Please don’t think I am calling you on this but I find it difficult to believe there is no manual control .Bit of a dumb system if that is the case

We have a “Nest” system , which we can control from the other side of the world , or just walk to the control unit in the hall and over ride it .

Any way , back on topic !

On 06/10/2020 at 15:30, angie2020 said:

Should this not be in the Jokes section.

You go in to the kitchen, fill the kettle with water, switch it on at the wall but do not push the on switch on the kettle. Then go in to another room, pull up the internet on a phone to switch on the kettle. Give it  a minute and then go back in to the kitchen and pour the hot water in to a cup. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Compass Point said:

We have a “Nest” system , which we can control from the other side of the world , or just walk to the control unit in the hall and over ride it .

Also don't forget the master over-ride, in the instance that you lose all connectivity and your phone / thermostat are not available.

It's on the square white unit that is normally installed near your boiler (that may have replaced your old timer) - big round button with Nest written on it. Puts the heating and hot water on full chat until you switch it off again.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

On 09/10/2020 at 14:39, Hort2074 said:

Also don't forget the master over-ride, in the instance that you lose all connectivity and your phone / thermostat are not available.

It's on the square white unit that is normally installed near your boiler (that may have replaced your old timer) - big round button with Nest written on it. Puts the heating and hot water on full chat until you switch it off again.

With apologies for diverting the thread... though in self defence I'm not the only contributor to CT doing so :)

And I know the guy whose village  the boiler incident happened in, so feel it's probably true.  I understand the engineer came back and fitted up the manual control bit as a result.
Meanwhile, back to the thread proper...