What 3words and where was I this afternoon, how accurate is it ?

I set out for a shortish walk yesterday  afternoon, as I often do when down here, or at home, but these often escalate into longer time frames for no apparent reason.🤔

Usual contents of rucksack on my back, water, something to eat, compass, torch, vid camera for anything interesting, survival blanket, box of cotton wool and Vaseline fire-starters, Ferrocerium flint, sharp knife, knife and fork kit and most import some poly bags for any free food I may come across.

Kids and grand kids often say if I'm not back for a meal, they keep eyes and ears for the ambulance sirens, lifeboat turning out, cliff rescue, rescue helicopter, such trusting souls but at least they're honest. 😁

The short, enjoyable walk ended up as the best part of 10 miles, according to Strava, taking about 2.45 hours, you try getting a move on whilst walking on sand.

I've recently added What3words to my phone and must admit it certainly could be a critical lifesaver, so I thought I would test it out with folk on C/T.

So for anyone else out there who uses it,  where was I, what did I walk end to end, and what did I stand on ? 😉

Ooops thanks Gordon it would be a good idea if I supplied the words or I  would never get rescued. 😱🤣

1)  blockage, outcasts, desks.

2)  confusion, dull, lifetimes.

3)  stopped, doubt, announced

Edited by Silversurf
  • Thanks 1
  • I do not understand 3

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

The world is divided into three metre squares, each with a unique identification code comprising three words.

CTHQ is in the courtyard with entrance at maple.moon.decoded

Link

• Haha 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Need some clues to answer your question like 3 words for each question.

• Haha 1

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

15 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Need some clues to answer your question like 3 words for each question.

Clues added :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

On the beach near Nefyn, Gwynedd.

Near Pwllheli, Gwynedd.

Porth Neigwl, Broad beach with craggy headlands.

• Thanks 1

I have always found it quite accurate (within a few meters)

Only note of caution before using it to notify emergency services...Check if you are at the top or base of the cliff and tell them :D

• Haha 2

Trevor.

We’ve found it being used more and more at work and particularly with Mountain Rescue callouts from the ambulance service. 

Its undoubtably accurate, but a one letter misspelling ruins it. Sometimes it’s obviously wrong, when the location is on the other side of the world, but it has happened that the W3W location given is relatively close. IE a few miles, which obviously causes us issues. And for people who don’t have English as their first language, it’s not the easiest thing to use, that can lead to problems too.....

Like everything in life there are times when it’s not going to be 100% accurate, but for the vast majority of times it’s close enough (which I would say is within. 50m radius) 

I thought they had worked very hard to ensure that errors such as detailed by Iain  were very hard to make. 

Regardless of the possible issues I would still urge everyone to download the app. Hopefully you will never need it, but if you DO then it could literally be a life saver. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

11 hours ago, Doosan said:

11 hours ago, Doosan said:

On the beach near Nefyn, Gwynedd.

Near Pwllheli, Gwynedd.

Porth Neigwl, Broad beach with craggy headlands.

Many thanks Doosan for having a go, you were the only one, appreciated, but ............

Presuming your answers are to my questions 1, 2, 3 in that order.

1) On the beach near Nefyn, Gwynedd,..................sadly about 13 miles away

2) Near Pwllheli  Gwynedd, ....................a bit closer at approx. 9 miles away.

3) Porth Neigwl, Broad beach with craggy headlands.................... hmm, you may be in the right area, ( not saying ) 😉 but my question 3 was ..............and what did I stand on , clue, you will see it at the 3 words location in satellite view.

I admit, it does take a bit of faffing  and playing around to get to grips with the app, like anything new, with how to pinpoint the location, by using the various features and maps terrain, satellite etc.

If you use the App. post a few of your own random word locations when you're out and about and I'll see if I can locate them. 😉

If no one else has a go, or if they do and are wrong within the next couple of days, I'll post the answers.

Is it more accurate than the lat \ long  on google maps.? Its so easy to share your location with Google maps.  Just touch were the curser says you are on google maps screen, the lat long is now displayed. It then allows you to share this info with different platforms  WhatsApp etc to whom ever.  It will then navigate them to you.  What am I missing with the What3words.

I appreciate a good data connection is required with google maps does what3words live on your phone so no datalink required? 

Edited by CraigP2005
5 hours ago, CraigP2005 said:

Is it more accurate than the lat \ long  on google maps.? Its so easy to share your location with Google maps.  Just touch were the curser says you are on google maps screen, the lat long is now displayed. It then allows you to share this info with different platforms  WhatsApp etc to whom ever.  It will then navigate them to you.  What am I missing with the What3words.

I appreciate a good data connection is required with google maps does what3words live on your phone so no datalink required? 

Afaik, W3W uses the built in GPS in your phone, so it doesn’t need a phone signal.  Sharing the information obviously does.

And it’s no more accurate than lat/long, or OS grid references in this country, it’s just in a format that’s supposedly easier for the uninformed to use.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boggy1982 said:

Bridge? But looks slightly out. 

FDBD8FA7-7C8B-477C-8509-9555CB4A52C1.png

Well done Boggy, you got the location of  " What I was stood on ", it's not a bridge and unless you know the area  or had seen the same from above elsewhere it would be really difficult to guess. 👍

It's part of a moving and stationary gunnery practice range, the targets were stood in front of the structure or were moved past on narrow gauge railway tracks.

The area was a  RAF WW2 gunnery and bombing practice area, and was also the location of an emergency landing strip.

Sadly buildings and structures I knew 30 odd years ago have been slowly eaten up by the sea due to erosion and cliff falls and nature in general is taking over.

I'll leave it a couple of days and if no one comes up with where I walked the length of, my start and finish points were the first and second locations, which are approx. 3.5 miles apart, I'll post Lat. and Long.

I'll have a walk back up there later today and take a couple of photo's of the ' object ' so you you can see what it's like

• Like 1

Surely W3W needs a phone signal to operate. Even if it uses the phone GPS to generate the words themselves you need to be able to communicate the 3 words to someone in order to be located.

• I agree completely 2

Land Rover having a rest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2020 at 10:02, Silversurf said:

Well done Boggy, you got the location of  " What I was stood on ", it's not a bridge and unless you know the area  or had seen the same from above elsewhere it would be really difficult to guess. 👍

It's part of a moving and stationary gunnery practice range, the targets were stood in front of the structure or were moved past on narrow gauge railway tracks.

The area was a  RAF WW2 gunnery and bombing practice area, and was also the location of an emergency landing strip.

Sadly buildings and structures I knew 30 odd years ago have been slowly eaten up by the sea due to erosion and cliff falls and nature in general is taking over.

I'll leave it a couple of days and if no one comes up with where I walked the length of, my start and finish points were the first and second locations, which are approx. 3.5 miles apart, I'll post Lat. and Long.

I'll have a walk back up there later today and take a couple of photo's of the ' object ' so you you can see what it's like

Hi Boggy as promised I'll be posting photo's of the three locations and an explanation of what and where they are in another thread called " my what 3 words  answers in a short while".

There were three questions , where were the two points I walked end to end  and what is it called,the third what was I stood on.

At Hells Mouth during WW2 there was an emergency landing strip for local air strip Perhos  there was an RAF camp which attended to the needs of the area that was a bombing and gunnery practice area. There were stationary and moving targets on land and at sea with both live and none live munitions.

I've posted some photo's here and below a brief explanation of what they are , note you have to post tinyurls in the address box, not in a Google search.                  https://tinyurl.com/y5u2xhtl

1) Blockage.outcasts.desks,  the southern end of Hells Mouth

2) confusion.dull. lifetimes,  the Northern end of Hells mouth so I walked the length of Hells Mouth

3) Half way erosion.

4) & 5) White concrete panels that were formed into an arrow on the cliff top designating I believe  the blank bombing area.

6) & 7) Red concrete panels that were formed into an arrow on the cliff top designating I believe  the live  bombing area.

8) Remains of a shower block ?

9) Nature taking over building wall remains.

10) Stopped, doubt, announced.  a side view of the structure I was stood on which was part of the target and target maintenance area for gunnery practice.

11) Land facing view.

12) Sea facing view.

13) View from beach.

14) I spotted a railway line poking out of the sand near the A.

15) I dug this bit out with my bare hands.

16) I got rid of the rest of my nails digging this out, exposing a full sleeper and the other rail, approx 3-4 feet between rails.

Years ago, one of my dogs always after rabbits, started digging in a hollow at the top of the Southern end cliffs on looking down where he had dug I could see what I presumed was a buried tractor but on seeing leaf springs I thought it was a trailer, then a lever arm shock absorber and some blue leatherette which I managed to tear off  ( I've still got it ) came into view, I now think that this may be an RAF car ? I must go up there with a spade and pickaxe one day.

Amazing what you find when you are nosy and don't walk around gawping at a screen and exercising your thumb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again Boggy, they are now posted so you can see where and what they were.

There's no way I would have come up with those answers, not knowing the area. 

With what3words it only gives you limited information.

Sounds like you have fun walking around this area. Keep on digging.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Chap on TV was full of praise for what thee words he used the App to get rescued from water, the emergency services are aware of the app.

• Like 1
On 05/10/2020 at 01:04, CraigP2005 said:

Ah, but its easy to misread lat/long and/or for sender or recipient to make a mistake. Then you've got to translate it. Three straightforward English words is much easier to get right. [Don't forget too that the writers have been clever and made the text large enough for someone without their glasses to be able to read - unlike the tiny text used by G Maps and other similar apps.]

Personally I think it is one of the best and most useful apps ever invented for a mobile phone.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

for those of us without smart phones is there a web site to see how it works?

Agh, YouTube. OK my understanding. The App gives you the 3 words. You give the 3 words to the emergency services and they can pin point you to a 3m square.  Is that right

macafee2

Edited by macafee2
4 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

for those of us without smart phones is there a web site to see how it works?

macafee2

This vid gives a good idea, however mute the sound it's got some unnecessary stupid music as a sound track. 😠

https://what3words.com/business/travel/

Assume you need a working smart phone with good reception in the area you are located???

Edited by gtepete