Do you use your oven?

We eat the same in the caravan as we do at home, lets face it, in the caravan we are at home :D. So all cooking equipment is used. The hot plate is great for simmering, makes a great chilly con carne, and we always have a Sunday roast.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the OP its been great reading through all the comments.  Well we have just got home from our 1st time away in the caravan. I'm pleased to report back to you all the hob oven and microwave were

Do you use your oven? Of course we do. Ever since we've had caravans and MHs with ovens they've always been used, otherwise it's just an expensive cupboard!  

Very much our take on caravanning in general, we don't view it as a "holiday" just something we do as part of "living" be that at home of away. So things like the oven, shower, loo, TV etc are used ju

Posted Images

We will be using ours this weekend, two M&S meals for dinner tonight when we get to site, but this will be the first time in this van. We usually use the Cadac or hot plate.

We used the oven and grill a lot in our previous van, it was a Stoves oven, and a smashing bit of kit.

2 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

We eat the same in the caravan as we do at home, lets face it, in the caravan we are at home :D. So all cooking equipment is used. The hot plate is great for simmering, makes a great chilly con carne, and we always have a Sunday roast.

Very much our take on caravanning in general, we don't view it as a "holiday" just something we do as part of "living" be that at home of away. So things like the oven, shower, loo, TV etc are used just as we do at home, even the Cadac gets used at home as well as whilst away as do the recliners. Seems odd to buy these not cheap items and then  avoid using them.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 4
2 hours ago, JTQ said:

Seems odd to buy these not cheap items and then  avoid using them.

Absolutely! :goodpost:

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

6 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

We mostly use ours for heating up, but I’ve discovered roasting bags. They keep the splashes in the bag.  My favourite is a couple of chicken portions, tossed in mixed herbs or other seasoning,  and thrown in the bag for 45mins - and no mess. I do put a few slits in the top of the bag to allow steam to escape.

I have used them for a few years now for Sunday lunch at home and in the van, brilliant idea and as you say cleaner.

Answer to OP Yes indeed.

Edited by kiaboy
  • Like 1

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

My wife is the cook, she does use all the cooker the only thing is only having the one shelf was limiting so we bought an extra shelf.

It all works well except the noise from the fans that run on for ever! Why does the hob need a fan anyway???

1 minute ago, PaulR said:

My wife is the cook, she does use all the cooker the only thing is only having the one shelf was limiting so we bought an extra shelf.

It all works well except the noise from the fans that run on for ever! Why does the hob need a fan anyway???

To circulate the heat, at a guess. Our caravan oven doesn't have one though.

Your lucky, its not the oven fan, its the fan that goes into hyper speed as soon as the lid is lifted on the Thetford hob and runs on even after you can feel its cool!!

3 hours ago, PaulR said:

Your lucky, its not the oven fan, its the fan that goes into hyper speed as soon as the lid is lifted on the Thetford hob and runs on even after you can feel its cool!!

The fan on our cooker comes on after about 20 or 30 minutes … and probably runs for about the same time afterwards.

John

• Like 1

The oven fan I guess is about the same, I think the hob is the more annoying.

We also use everything in the van - just as if we are at home.  Boris permitting, we will be cooking a full Christmas lunch, this year whilst we are at the Sandringham site. We tend to cook 'smelly' things - like our weekly cooked breakfast and the occasional trout on the electric griddle in the awning and use a Weber BBQ whenever the weather permits. The microwave is used a lot for vegetables etc. I really can't see the point of spending all this money on a caravan with all the facilities and not using them just to get the satisfaction of being able to sell it later and say that 'the oven/microwave/shower/toilet have never been used'.

• I agree completely 3

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

3 hours ago, richardandros said:

Boris permitting, we will be cooking a full Christmas lunch, this year whilst we are at the Sandringham site.

As you say - Boris permitting.

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I use my oven

Edited by Discool
Did not like what was written

The oven can cope with most normal oven cooking and we prefer it to the microwave also fitted. Basically it depends on how you caravan, but if you have the time and the inclination then it works well.

As the OP its been great reading through all the comments. 

Well we have just got home from our 1st time away in the caravan. I'm pleased to report back to you all the hob oven and microwave were all used this weekend. It was great, everything was done nicely. Oven was slightly less responsive to the one at home however it was more than adequate. 

I really like how versatile the caravan is. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We stopped eating out during Covid so used oven for first time earlier on , what a revelation and now enjoy cooing anything , even done roasts ,  can’t fault it , I am a firm believer in the oven now 

1 hour ago, smith100s said:

. Oven was slightly less responsive to the one at home however it was more than adequate. 

Our experience as well. Probably because it’s not a fan oven, we find it beneficial to move things around in the oven to “even up” the heating. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

We use ours to warm the odd pizza, but don't really do much else with it cooking wise. We do use it to store our bread though. It's the same as showers in caravans, some use them others don't.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Joboggis said:

Hi I use my oven, last time out I even made cakes!

In using the oven you are far from alone.

• I agree completely 1

I used our oven every day this week. Mainly for heating up pasta bakes etc. Use hob most for kettle and making the sauces of dinners. 

Tend to make sure everything is covered so not slashing to keep oven clean 

The misses says caravanning is same as bbq so I should do all the cooking 

Yes! Cooking pies with some fresh veg on the hob, did two lamb shanks and veg last month (one of those supermarket mains, veg side, dessert and wine for a tenner deals) and warming up take aways.

Not used the grill yet as it doesn't work and is in a shocking state!

Our old abbey had a whatever the factory fitted gas oven was, 2 hours and 40 minutes after putting some fish fingers in to cook for our then three year old, they still weren't cooked, the oven was removed when we got home and replaced with microwave, which has since been replaced again with a microwave which also doubles as an oven, although we retained the original gas grill and the hob, as those still work fine.

My parents had an early 80's eccles when i was about 14 and our home oven heating element broke.... on christmas day, after some jiggery pokery breaking the bone of it so it was low enough to fit in, we cooked the christmas turkey in that caravan gas oven that year. 

• Like 1