Do you use your oven?

New to caravaning and having looked at a few the ovens and grills appear to never been used. We plan on using ours regularly so I wondered what the consensus was amongst the caravantalk community?

Are they useless or do people just prefer not to oven cook when caravaning? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the OP its been great reading through all the comments.  Well we have just got home from our 1st time away in the caravan. I'm pleased to report back to you all the hob oven and microwave were

Do you use your oven? Of course we do. Ever since we've had caravans and MHs with ovens they've always been used, otherwise it's just an expensive cupboard!  

Very much our take on caravanning in general, we don't view it as a "holiday" just something we do as part of "living" be that at home of away. So things like the oven, shower, loo, TV etc are used ju

Posted Images

We have had our caravan for over 2 years now.

We have never used the oven or grill. Think we used the electric hob once, not certain.

I don't even know if any of it works to be honest. The only time we have ever used gas from the bottle in the front locker was to use the BBQ, never changed the bottle.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

In the shoulder seasons when outside cooking is not ideal then we use ours a lot, more the oven than the grill that is integrated into ours.

It tends to be for pre prepared meals, not baking from scratch.

We have no microwave,, we specified that in our van's build as we rarely are on an EHU so avoiding lugging around a lump of useless metal and it taking up storage space.

We note many microwaves are located by the "stylists" as dangerously as possible, high up and over a hob!!!! 

Edited by JTQ

Our Thetford will cook literally anything,not quite as fast as our one  at home!but for two people,can’t fault it,use it several nights a week,especially when away for three months in one go?

• I agree completely 2

Yes more to heat things up, more than cooking.   Never use the electric hob life is too short.  

Depending on what you cook in your oven and how you cook it, will depend on how clean it is. Cook a roast in an open tin and see the mess inside.

We use our oven but am selective in what and how cook so it stays clean.

macafee2

We (thats the royal we) use the oven for warming stuff up and the grill for well grilling, mostly tea cakes, crumpets etc. Not as efficient as the one at home, but does the job.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Yes my wife uses the gas oven doesn't bake a cake sort of thing mainly for heating things up and it's grill for toast when we not on electric.  Otherwise microwave used as long as enough amps. and electric toaster.

• I agree completely 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Yes, we use the whole cooker, hob - including electric hotplate, grill, oven, the lot.  Hotplate to boil the kettle (space for a plug in kettle is limited), gas rings to cook stirfries etc. Grill for toast, oven for various meals, pizzas oven chips etc. Plus the microwave to do veg, heat tins of soup, those packs of micro rice, couscous etc. 

So, nothing particularly fancy, but we regularly use all cooking facilities in our van,  in fact, every time we stay in it.

• I agree completely 4

Don't plan on a roast or baking as such but would do a garlic bread, pasta bake etc we have air fryer which has proven to be really useful when camping so would favour this for certain things. Trouble with the air fryer is its quite small where the oven gives us a better range of portions and cooking multiple things for a family of four. 

6 minutes ago, Susan D said:

Yes, we use the whole cooker, hob - including electric hotplate, grill, oven, the lot.  Hotplate to boil the kettle (space for a plug in kettle is limited), gas rings to cook stirfries etc. Grill for toast, oven for various meals, pizzas oven chips etc. Plus the microwave to do veg, heat tins of soup, those packs of micro rice, couscous etc. 

So, nothing particularly fancy, but we regularly use all cooking facilities in our van,  in fact, every time we stay in it.

Good for you, its nice to hear these being used as they are designed for. 

no, I have never used the oven in any of our vans, I use the electric hob plus the gas on  occasion, micro wave, elec toaster,  elec kettle and george forman grill. I have salads or stir frys , eat out or take away. I don't even use the oven at home that often. I think that I've done enough cooking over the years when everything was made from scratch. 

Yep, use ours all the time, as well as the grill. Made some fantastic meals.

Same as Joanie, the microwave and electric hob are what we use 95% of the time.  We've never used the grill (we use a small electric toaster instead) and the oven's only used for oven chips.  We don't do BBQs, but we have a small electric burger grill which does us.

We tend to take a few frozen meals with us as stand-bys (all home made),  frozen sausages, burgers and all the fresh veg from the fridge at home.

2017 Lunar Solaris 462, Mercedes B200 Exec CDI Auto

German caravan so designed without an oven .  We bought a feeble mini one the size of a biscuit tin from Argos . It might still be somewhere in the shed. 

We use our oven for pre prepared meals, oven chips and the like, OH uses it for her garlic bread (yeeuck)

It is a neat little oven and grill with a separate hobb  (all gas)

The van was 7 years old when we got it and the oven had never been used and the grill pan was still in the grill sealed in it's cardboard box.

However the microwave had been replaced so that must have seen some action

Never.  Use electric oven and induction hob unit in awning.  Use microwave and hob (one pot meals)  in caravan for overnighters when travelling.

2 hours ago, Susan D said:

We do exactly the same Susan, apart from the kettle on the hob.

I can’t understand the thinking behind the whole business of setting up a large awning and filling it with tables on which are electric grills, fryers, mini-fridges, microwaves and various other kitchenalia  … and that’s just for the weekend!

So to answer the OP’s question - yes we do use our caravan’s cooker.  And, because they’re not used for actual ‘cooking’ most of the time, I think you’ll find that’s why they look unused when you’re viewing a second-hand van.

John

3 hours ago, Pheasant said:

Our Thetford will cook literally anything,not quite as fast as our one  at home!but for two people,can’t fault it,use it several nights a week,especially when away for three months in one go?

I’d second that. We use (used tonight) ours regularly.

It’s obviously smaller than the one in the house but works perfectly.

Wife checked the temperature with an oven thermometer and it’s spot on.

Edited by BM Bairn
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Yes we use our oven all the time not a problem when we have finished cooking i clean it like i clean my cooker  at home, our van is 3 years old and the cooker looks like new as does the van, you have to look after things you own.

• I agree completely 1

We got our present 'van when it was 2 years old. One of the reasons we picked it was that the oven and hob had not been used, all the racks, trays and other accessories were still wrapped in plastic and/or cardboard. Since then however the oven has had a hard life, baking cakes, buns and scones, roasting meat (in bags to reduce cleaning time, we are on holiday) jacket spuds and pies. We do use oven chips but only because Mrs 'at won't let me take the chip pan (:(). The hob also has to earn it's keep, we find cooking from scratch using fresh, local produce very therapeutic.

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

Not used our grill other than a plate warmer but our caravan  Dometic oven produces the goods marginally faster than our fan assist Neff at home.

Not used it for the likes of chickens etc, more for steak and kidney pies and cauliflower cheeses so it has stayed clean to date.

• I agree completely 1

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

Cook full roasts in ours! Use the grill and hob as well!

Edited by PR1
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Do you use your oven?

Of course we do. Ever since we've had caravans and MHs with ovens they've always been used, otherwise it's just an expensive cupboard!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 4

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

17 hours ago, macafee2 said:

Depending on what you cook in your oven and how you cook it, will depend on how clean it is. Cook a roast in an open tin and see the mess inside.

We use our oven but am selective in what and how cook so it stays clean.

macafee2

We mostly use ours for heating up, but I’ve discovered roasting bags. They keep the splashes in the bag. Have even cooked burgers & sausages in them when the weather has prevented outdoor cooking. Ok, they don’t brown as well, as they are contained in their juices, but they taste the same. My favourite is a couple of chicken portions, tossed in mixed herbs or other seasoning,  and thrown in the bag for 45mins - and no mess. I do put a few slits in the top of the bag to allow steam to escape.

Edited by Glen and Les
  • Like 1

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Definitely use ours though for fatty spitty bacon we prefer to be outside-not sure why so many van ovens aren't used as ours works a treat and has choice of gas or electric hob; I can only think that they are fair weather campers and use a bbq type outdoors OR eat out a lot-more likely the case I think?