What caravans have alde and is it better

Many apologies for yet another post :rolleyes:

we live in Scotland and intend to use the caravan, once its actually purchased, all year round , therefore chilly weather at times

Looking today at the Valencia it has Alde heating and I just wondered is it only certain manufactures or years that this heating system is in ? - Just to make searching for efficent

and the second question-  which may cause a few different opinions however if you remember its for Scotland in the winter . Is it warmer and more effective than the blown.

I have not been in either and although caravanned as a child have no recollection of heating

Do bear in mind that most caravans have 1 inch of wall and that they are not designed to live in permanently. It will be very cold in Scotland in the winter and you may use a lot of electricity to heat it if you have EHU. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

There are advocates of both wet and blown heating systems.

Wet systems are heavier and take longer to warm a cold van, but tend to make it feel more like a steady temperature after the temperature settles

They are also more expensive and are therefore, by some, automatically considered better.

• Like 1

Considering you two threads - 2 or 4 berth, and which heating. For a cold climate we think the layout is important too, as some layouts have a short front lounge with the door near close to one of the seats. Our last caravan was like that and we found the lounge area a bit cold and drafty. With the 2 berth layout we have now, the door is closer to the raer and the long bunks are at the front, well away from the door. We have Alde heating and use the caravan all year round. When it is time to warm up the caravan quickly, we put the heating on Gas and Electric and find the heating is more than adequate.  These choices are personal decisions, and you have to consider them in view of your budget etc and what is available at the time locally.

1 minute ago, Ern said:

Considering you two threads - 2 or 4 berth, and which heating. For a cold climate we think the layout is important too, as some layouts have a short front lounge with the door close to one of the seats. Our last caravan was like that and we found the lounge area a bit cold and drafty in sub zero temperatures. With the 2 berth layout we have now, the door is closer to the raer and the long bunks are at the front, well away from the door. We have Alde heating and use the caravan all year round. When it is time to warm up the caravan quickly, we put the heating on Gas and Electric and find the heating is more than adequate.  These choices are personal decisions, and you have to consider them in view of your budget etc and what is available at the time locally.

Ern

We have Alde heating in our caravan, and we absolutely love it.

From my experience, it does take longer to warm the van from cold but maintains a better and more even temperature.

If it is cold when we arrive (we only ever use unmetered EHU), we whack the 2KW electric fan heater on for an hour while the Alde heats up, heats up very quickly then.

• I agree completely 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

22 minutes ago, angie2020 said:

Thank you for your reply, maybe need to go south if going away for breaks in the winterB)

Apologies as I read it that you would live in the caravan full time, whereas I now think you wish to tour all year round. Very different so best of luck. 

• Haha 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

16 minutes ago, Ern said:

raer

hi 

what is RAER please , I have tried to google it and its about razors so obviously not that 

thanks for adding a different dimension to the heating that being the layout , we had not thought about the layout effecting heating which now you have highlighted that makes perfect sense

wish we could just go and have a look at all the different caravans which last year we could have. This will pass and we will soon be able to go out and review them all in person

thanks again

All Coachmans have Alde heating as standard from 2020.  We have had both types and prefer the Alde because it is more like heat from a home system where as blown air in my opinion dries the air.

Also every van we have had blown air struggles to heat the bathroom if it is at the rear of van where as with Alde you have a radiator in the bathroom. Alde gets the vote for us.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

We have Alde heating in our caravan, and we absolutely love it.

From my experience, it does take longer to warm the van from cold but maintains a better and more even temperature.

If it is cold when we arrive (we only ever use unmetered EHU), we whack the 2KW electric fan heater on for an hour while the Alde heats up, heats up very quickly then.

sorry to go off track however my pal told me when you attached your cable to the electrics on sites its part of your fee, however your "unmetered " indicates this is not always the case

2 minutes ago, angie2020 said:

sorry to go off track however my pal told me when you attached your cable to the electrics on sites its part of your fee, however your "unmetered " indicates this is not always the case

Many sites abroad meter and charge for electricity so its not included in your site fee as it tends to be in the UK

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

in the older vans, with the blown air some of the pipes would go outside of the van and then back in again (people would lag the pipes ) so to get around that I would just put the thermostat  up  a bit and also put the heating on about a half hour before the sun went down. I now have a new van and still with the blown air but the pipes are now all inside and the van gets toasty warm in no time.  The  thread below tells you about the insulation  in the caravans

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Many sites abroad meter and charge for electricity so its not included in your site fee as it tends to be in the UK

ahh thank you for clearing that up, hes never been abroad with his caravan so would not know that 

59 minutes ago, angie2020 said:

hi 

what is RAER please , I have tried to google it and its about razors so obviously not that 

thanks for adding a different dimension to the heating that being the layout , we had not thought about the layout effecting heating which now you have highlighted that makes perfect sense

wish we could just go and have a look at all the different caravans which last year we could have. This will pass and we will soon be able to go out and review them all in person

thanks again

raer is opposite to fornt. 😊

• Haha 2

Ern

Feeling sheepish but it just shows that us newbies are so receptive to the more knowledgeablee members we are away googling raer 

hope I made folk laugh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Angie I live in Scotland  and use our caravan all year round in Scotland , I would say the alde heating is much better , once up to heat it stays cosy , get a little fan heater to use on a serviced pitch , we are doing East Lothian area next few weekends Dunbar and up , i was fife in beast from east and the alde saw us through it 

20 minutes ago, Buck5555 said:

Angie I live in Scotland  and use our caravan all year round in Scotland , I would say the alde heating is much better , once up to heat it stays cosy , get a little fan heater to use on a serviced pitch , we are doing East Lothian area next few weekends Dunbar and up , i was fife in beast from east and the alde saw us through it 

the beast from the East , ahh the good times - not

thanks for your information very helpful

We have blown air and whilst it does heat the van very quickly, including the rear washroom maintaining a constant gentle warmth through the night in winter is very difficult. 

Wet central heating will always be a little slower because it has to heat the water first, but once it has done that everyone I know that uses it says it is much more consistent. 

2 hours ago, ascsbe said:

blown air in my opinion dries the air.

something I have always seen as a benefit through late autumn and winter when there is so much moisture around. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

were in central belt scotland and have alde heat in our swift x challenger and tour up north all year and

have no problem keeping caravan warm 

were up in Inverness in end of october for a week then over to ullapool november

going south is for wimps

Our last 2 caravans have Alde wet heating. The last caravan we had with Blow Air heating. I modified it, after seeing that Lunar has done something similar?

This image is of a camper with the similar upgrade I did in the caravan. I purchased the parts via a local dealer from Truma and at the time there were 2 size outlet restrictors, that fitted inside and behind the butterfly outlets, to force warm air to colder parts caravans ducting layout. Manufacturers only install the basics in Blow Air heating. A heating system can be achieved to be as good as Alde, if not better.

I am not in favor of either, but only want to be in a warm comfortable environment, when away in our caravan, we caravan all year round?

The first image is of the  restrictor, the second is of the fittings to install around the dinette, so the hot air comes up behind the wall boards. The third image shows the type of layout.

Hope this helps. It dose make the rear bathroom as warm as you need it with correct balancing?

72188[1].jpg

768x591[1].jpg

combi-illustration-696x522[1].jpg

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 Automatic.

Hello. If you're shopping for used Alde-equipped Bailey Unicorns in particular, the Unicorn III-series performed extremely well in cold chamber testing.

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/video/makes/bailey/unicorn-series-iii/new-bailey-unicorn-tested-to-the-extreme-in-freezing-cold-test-chamber-$21384487.htm

having had both blown air and Alde heating and caravan all year in Scotland, I'd go with Alde every time. last weekend we were at Braemar where one night the temperature was minus something, nice and cosy in the van and only discovered how cold it was outside when we opened the blinds to see the cars windows all frozen. one thing i find though is the Alde thermostat reads high, but not a real issue, you just find what temp suits and set it to that and ignore what the thermostat is actually saying.

should of said, our caravan is a swift.

Edited by GMak7
  • I agree completely 1
18 hours ago, angie2020 said:

Think back to what you were probably sitting on whilst googling "Raer".

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

14 hours ago, telegan said:

were in central belt scotland and have alde heat in our swift x challenger and tour up north all year and

have no problem keeping caravan warm 

were up in Inverness in end of october for a week then over to ullapool november

going south is for wimps

hello

what swift do you have with the alde heating please.