two or four berth assistance spec assistance please

Good Afternoon

May I ask for some assistance and advice /information

We are two adults venturing into the caravan research and were initially looking at fixed bed so we could have the sofas in the living area and a bed which did not require made up every day

However if you look at these two caravans as an example , one a two and one a four

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/caravan-details/202007121160606?berth=2&berth=3&advertising-location=at_caravans&radius=1500&year-to=2015&sort=price-asc&year-from=2010&postcode=ky114bp&page=1          bailey unicorn sevile 2012  at £7k

and 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/caravan-details/202005019137927?year-to=2015&radius=1500&berth=4&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_caravans&year-from=2010&postcode=ky114bp&page=1&modal=photos

bailey g6 2011  four berth fixed bed £7k

so my question is - as they are roughly the same year and price, the main difference is no fixed bed.

So is the missing bed area used up else where in the two berth caravan such as bathroom and living area. Are you getting a better quality finish in the two berth as you are paying the sameish money as a four berth

how feasible is it to sleep on the two berth sofas without making the full bed up 

thanks very much

The main difference, apart from layout is that one is a metre longer than the other.

A secondary difference is that the Unicorn range are generally better equipped than the GT60 range.

Build quality is likely to be identical.

We are also an adult couple who recently got into caravanning, no kids (one medium / large dog though).  We have a Bailey Ranger S5 460/2 which is a 2008 vintage, so not too far removed from the age you are looking at.  It's a two berth and we have the option of using the sofas as two singles or making it up as a double.  After trying both out we settled on using it as two singles.

The benefits:

• As singles the beds run lengthwise along the caravan with the gap in the middle.  This makes it much, much easier to get in and out of bed - you don't end up having to climb over the other person to get out.
  • Movement of one party does not disturb the other overmuch
  • It is much quicker to setup and take down each day
  • Said dog is much less likely to join us in bed on the singles!  In fact it provides an ideal area where he can sleep close to us but not with us in the space between the beds

The drawbacks:

• The beds are quite narrow, more so than a standard single, and one side is hard up against the 'van wall so there is not much room to spread out
  • It's a snug fit length wise.  We are both about 5' 10" and we just about fit - it is closer than I'd like but liveable with for a holiday
  • If you sleep with your head at the front end of the 'van you end up in-between the wall and the centre chest, if there is one.  This can be a bit claustrophobic if you are that way inclined
  • You end up with all the cushions meant to make up the centre section of the bed needing somewhere to go for the night

For us the benefits outweighed the downsides and we no longer make up the double at all.  Your mileage may vary.

If I had the funds and the car to tow it with I think my ideal layout would be that of the Unicorn Cadiz - a four berth with two fixed singles amidships.  Bliss.

Edited by Xyleth

If we didn't have kids, I'd definitely go fixed bed 4 berth and never have to make a bed up again.

As it stands in our 4 berth non-fixed bed van, I have to make up the front double for us and the bunk for our daughter. It doesn't take long, but becomes a pain in the ass every day.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Thanks so much for all that information,  we would also like the fixed single beds however they appear to have only come in at a certain year and therefore we have more choice of vans in a fixed double  in our price range

I think it will end up fixed double as the first van and later on with enough funds maybe fixed singles

thanks again

We're an adult couple and on our third van and this is our experience - over quite a few years.

1. 2nd hand single axle 2-berth van bought to dip our toe into caravanning after having rented RV's in the US and Canada and getting a liking for the holiday style. Soon got tired of making up the twin sofa lounge double bed each night and found it cramped compared to the RV's we had enjoyed. But we still loved the holiday style and promised ourselves our next van would have a fixed bed and be bigger.
  2. 2nd hand twin axle with fixed mid ships side located double bed, rear bathroom and 'L' shaped lounge (makeup double bed). Much better not having to make up the bed at night, but downside of the bed was having to crawl over another to get in/out. Not convinced about 'L' shaped lounge. Not ideal for 2 people to laze about in and no easy pull-out mini table for 2 people to eat at; preferred the twin sofa layout we had previously. Extra room afforded by bigger van very welcome and much more comfortable generally but you obviously pay in towing terms.
  3. Retired and expecting to indulge in much longer trips than our previously work limited holidays provided (damn Covid allowing!) Invested in our first new van. Large 8m twin axle, twin sofa lounge with centre chest, midships single beds (unused lounge makeup double)  rear bathroom. Bliss. The layout really works for us. The single beds afford a much better nights sleep. One seems to have more room sleeping and getting in/out does not disturb the other half. Returning to the lounge twin sofa layout is also better for us. It gives each of us a sofa to relax on when reading or watching tv indoors and provides the pull out table we previously missed.

Yes our current van is an indulgence but we've decided it's worth the investment and we deserve some luxury at our stage of life!!

But some comments relevant to your decision making:

1. Fixed bed(s) definitely recommended.
  2. A double fixed is better than a makeup lounge bed but if you really want good sleep twin singles are the best.
  3. Consider carefully your lounge layout and what will work best for you.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

friends of our's used sleeping bags with the single beds in a 2 berth, so all they had to do at night was to climb into bed :). I have only ever had a fixed bed, when we were a bit younger it was never a bother climbing over , but over the years we now find the island bed is better for us.  Have you had a look around a caravan dealer and tried out the beds also just sit for a while in the vans and imagine living in it.  As for the dog, you could try telling it where it will sleep, you will find that caravanning with a dog needs some ground rules. There are so many new things and smells for a dog to discover that sometimes they do get a bit over excited. happy days

Fixed bed for us, I tend to retire earlier than OH and of course get up earlier so if we shared the lounge area as a bed then we would have to adhere to t'other ones wishes (and OH always wins!!) so now we can close of the bedroom and the other does not effect the other, perfect...

Ours also has the centre loo and shower arrangement which also means you can do your stuff without offending, annoying or disturbing the other one.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Do people REALLY make up beds, with sheets and covers and duvets etc?

I use a sleeping bag and one of the cushions in a pillow case, much quicker to put down and pack away.

We have a small(ish) single axle 2 berth with a large end washroom and mid kitchen.

We make up the front double and sleep heads either side of front drawer unit in a V formation with feet sometimes touching. This gives bags of room and makes access/egress easy. We consider the 5 minutes putting the bed up a small price to pay for not having to use a much bigger van and a bigger car as we would personally never consider a fixed bed.

We also use duvets, proper pillows and large fleece sheets. The only problem we have is getting out of bed in the mornings

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

Do people REALLY make up beds, with sheets and covers and duvets etc?

I use a sleeping bag and one of the cushions in a pillow case, much quicker to put down and pack away.

we use Duvalays. All the comfort of a duvet with the ease of a sleeping bag, plus a built in mattress topper to boot.

19 minutes ago, robertB said:

We have a small(ish) single axle 2 berth with a large end washroom and mid kitchen.

We make up the front double and sleep heads either side of front drawer unit in a V formation with feet sometimes touching. This gives bags of room and makes access/egress easy. We consider the 5 minutes putting the bed up a small price to pay for not having to use a much bigger van and a bigger car as we would personally never consider a fixed bed.

We also use duvets, proper pillows and large fleece sheets. The only problem we have is getting out of bed in the mornings

ooooo, that’s a great idea.  Shall have to try that, although is still suspect it’ll end with my waking up to a wet nose in my face!

1 hour ago, robertB said:

We have a 480 with the optional wrap round seating (no chest of draws. kept in the loft) We sleep front to back on a matrass topper and 2 super king size sleeping bags zipped together. Works for us? 

Edited by David P

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 Automatic.

We all have to work at what is best for us, some go for speed and convenience and some go for space and comfort.

It's great when you have it just right

Never heard of Duvalays!   will have to look into that

Different sellers will have different prices for what looks to be the same caravan often depending on local differences, extras and condition. The difference here though is that the Unicorn is the next range up in the bailey range. Caravan ranges are the level of luxury fitted and that range then comes in various sizes. 

Within the range the larger models will carry a higher price to some extent, reflecting the original price difference.

In general two berth models without a fixed bed are smaller although there is some variation and four or more berth models are bigger so the room inside can still be similar when using them. In the end the choice is between if you are happy  to  make up the bed from the front lounge every night or not. Four berths also help if you might need an extra bed sometimes for say a visitor children or whatever. Possibly your best bet would be to look round a dealers showroom and see what is available and what you think would sit you.

If you decide to go for a private sale post on here first and you will be told what to look out for.

As we do long  term trips ( 5/6 months ) we want space in the van and have gone away from fixed beds. We prefer a lay out with the side table for eating and food preparation, leaving the front settees free to lounge on, have enough room to sit 4/6 people there and also to sleep on. Like others we use Duvalays so bed making time is minimal.
Our van is a 4 berth length - have always said that a 4 berth makes an ideal 2 berth😀😀.  

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

33 minutes ago, robertB said:

some go for speed and convenience and some go for space and comfort.

Well said!   Choosing a caravan is a matter of compromise.   To me, an end bathroom with it's own shower cubicle and a space to dry off, with a reasonable sized wardrobe in there as well is more important that saving five minutes through not making up a bed.   Without the fixed bed I have two 6ft settees at the front of the van on which to lounge with feet up in the evenings. My maximum caravan length is dictated by its maneuverability to get through gates to its parking alongside the house.   Also on ferries it gets priced within the 6 to 7metre bracket.

For the benefit of someone who asked - a Duvalay is a combination of mattress topper and duvet, each in its own zipped envelope, but also joined together into a single unit.   I bought one when they first came to the market several years ago.   It was ok - but I've never been a fan of duvets -  I like to be able to add or remove an additional layer.   However, after laundry day when it was time to replace the mattress and duvet within the cover, was when the nightmare started.    The Duvalay soon went.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We have single beds in our Coachman VIP 565 and after years' of caravanning with no fixed beds it is bliss.  We uses duvets and sheets.  We bought the bed linen from Musbury Fabrics with the fitted sheets made to measure.  Excellent quality.  Having single beds means there is no disturbing the other sleeper when visiting the loo and the single beds are wide enough for a comfy sleep.

The dogs have the best of both worlds sleeping either on the sofas or one of the beds!

There are compromises though, shorter sofas and a smaller washroom but still perfectly adequate.  Obviously a longer length caravan which luckily still fits on our L shaped drive.

22 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Well said!   Choosing a caravan is a matter of compromise.   To me, an end bathroom with it's own shower cubicle and a space to dry off, with a reasonable sized wardrobe in there as well is more important that saving five minutes through not making up a bed.   Without the fixed bed I have two 6ft settees at the front of the van on which to lounge with feet up in the evenings. My maximum caravan length is dictated by its maneuverability to get through gates to its parking alongside the house.   Also on ferries it gets priced within the 6 to 7metre bracket.

For the benefit of someone who asked - a Duvalay is a combination of mattress topper and duvet, each in its own zipped envelope, but also joined together into a single unit.   I bought one when they first came to the market several years ago.   It was ok - but I've never been a fan of duvets -  I like to be able to add or remove an additional layer.   However, after laundry day when it was time to replace the mattress and duvet within the cover, was when the nightmare started.    The Duvalay soon went.

thanks so much for highlighting taking the size into account for ferries. We plan once I retire , at present I am going part time thus the caravan , to go abroad for a few months at a time. Well that is the dream and we all have to dream

58 minutes ago, angie2020 said:

thanks so much for highlighting taking the size into account for ferries.

Of course!   For the ferry fare, it's the overall length of the chassis that's used.   Not the body length.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com