Will my car Tow

35 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

I wasn't even born then!

you missed the best years then .. I was 15 .. 

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

13 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

Towing with 48BHP (1950) (overnight wild camping) en route to Belgium  .. slow but it got us there and back

Leason - Maidenhead.jpg

What is that extra thing on the roof?

Just now, halifaxdan said:

What is that extra thing on the roof?

If you mean the raised section , its is the roof .. known as a Lantern roof .. very popular (but expensive to build) in the 30s to early 50s .. gave extra headroom and light doen the centre of the van .., 

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

28 minutes ago, Disco Kid said:

If you mean the raised section , its is the roof .. known as a Lantern roof .. very popular (but expensive to build) in the 30s to early 50s .. gave extra headroom and light doen the centre of the van .., 

So it’s not “on” the roof it is the roof.  That car + caravan is very stylish though. 

Edited by halifaxdan
2 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

Also known as a clerestory  roof.

22 hours ago, halifaxdan said:

Did your wife pass her driving test before you? If she passed before 1997 she can be the passenger and all you need then are L plates. 

Not on the motorway though, unless you are accompanied by a driving instructor.

12 minutes ago, Dave87 said:

Not on the motorway though, unless you are accompanied by a driving instructor.

Dear [gspice1980]

Thank you for your email received on 19/9/16. Your email reference number is 3859731. 

I can confirm, providing a driver has held full B+E entitlement for a continuous period of three years or more; he/she would meet the description of a ‘qualified driver’ found in Regulation 17 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999; and could supervise a learner with provisional B+E entitlement. 

As you confirmed, you would need to display L plates at all times. 

In regards to motorways driving, legislation was passed to enable people holding a provisional B + E; to drive on the motorway, as they would have already passed a test in category B. 

The amending legislation was the Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 1996. (SI1996 No. 3053)

that’s from another thread on this site.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/99944-be-towing-test-and-supervising-rules/

Edited by halifaxdan
On 30/09/2020 at 16:06, halifaxdan said:

Dear [gspice1980]

Thank you for your email received on 19/9/16. Your email reference number is 3859731. 

I can confirm, providing a driver has held full B+E entitlement for a continuous period of three years or more; he/she would meet the description of a ‘qualified driver’ found in Regulation 17 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999; and could supervise a learner with provisional B+E entitlement. 

As you confirmed, you would need to display L plates at all times. 

In regards to motorways driving, legislation was passed to enable people holding a provisional B + E; to drive on the motorway, as they would have already passed a test in category B. 

The amending legislation was the Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 1996. (SI1996 No. 3053)

that’s from another thread on this site.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/99944-be-towing-test-and-supervising-rules/

My bad, i assumed all drivers, driving on a provisional for any category needed to be supervised by a proper instructor. I know some hgv drivers who can barely supervise themselves, wouldn't like to think they could take someone out on L-plates.

43 minutes ago, Dave87 said:

My bad, i assumed all drivers, driving on a provisional for any category needed to be supervised by a proper instructor. I know some hgv drivers who can barely supervise themselves, wouldn't like to think they could take someone out on L-plates.

I agree that rule is one of the more worrying loopholes.