Will my car Tow

Hello

Hope anyone could help me, I currently have a Skoda 1.6TDI diesel and its a manual, And looking to Tow a caravan, The problem is I don't have a tow bar on yet and wondering I should invest in a 2.0Ltr automatic again diesel or stick with my current car, They both pull 1500 max weight I'm worried about hills etc.. I don't want to put a Tow bar on if I'm struggling. The caravan I've just bought is a abbey GTS. wondering what the difference would be between the 2 cars.

Any information would be most grateful.

Thanks again

More power, all other things being equal, always helps.

As a very rough rule of thumb, 40bhp/tonne (all in actual weight) is the divide between towing being hard work and it being comfortable.

Which model Skodas are they ?

Have a look at your  car VIN plate, and put the 2 weights on here for its gross car weight and gross train weight, then also put on here the caravan plated MTPLM. From your car V5C document add the car mass in service. All these weights will help determine if your car will be up to towing your caravan. You need to do the same for the car you are thinking of buying.

You also need to consider if you passed your driving test after 1997 the car gross weight on the VIN plus the caravan MTPLM must not exceed 3500 kg unless you have passed a towing test to give you B+E entitlement on your driving licence.

Edited by Paul1957

Just to give an example.

What is the mtplm of the caravan? I have a Skoda Octavia Estate 4x4 2.0TDi (manual) pulls my caravan with no problem at all. Mass in service is 1,495kg, caravan mtplm 1,318kg which give a tow ratio of 88%, the engine does have a good torque band and I get 35-37mpg depending on road type. Noseweight is 75kg and I get a very stable tow. Weights given in the car handbook spec. pages can be a bit confusing, mine states 'unloaded weight ready for work' !1,495kg, so I go by the V5C MIS which is1,495kg. Plated weights GVW 2,095kg, GTW 3,695kg.

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

:welcome:

The MTPLM of the Abbey would help. Should be on a plate by the door. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

What is the unladen weight of the car, 1855kg revenue weight I would expect it to be around 1300kg(ish) if so then its probably a bit light to tow a 1448kg caravan. What model Skoda is it?

Even though literature says it can tow 1500kg the caravan will be a bit big for it imo. Towing 1500kg on say a flat bed trailer is very different to towing the large sided caravan and wind etc can really affect it so you need the car weight to counteract that not just the physical mass of the trailer.

9 minutes ago, Andskin1980 said:

So the mtplm 1,448kg and the revenue weight of the vehicle is 1,855kg does state on the V5 that it would pull upto 1,500kg 

What Skoda? Model and Year?

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

15 minutes ago, Andskin1980 said:

Its a Skoda Octavia 1.6TDI 65 plate

I'm sorry, I've owned the same car and have a similar weight caravan and the car is not heavy enough.

The Octavia Mk3 is on the lightweight MQB platform and the kerbweight for a 1.6TDi Manual is around 1250kg. Skoda do quote on the low side and without driver but realistically the kerbweight is around 1325kg.

Some will argue otherwise but the recommendation is that new towers should limit their maximum caravan weight to 85% of the cars kerbside weight and experienced towers shouldn't tow a caravan more than 100% of the cars kerbside weight.

You are obviously new to this and are looking at 110 to 116% depending on the correct kerbweight.

On top of this the Octavia has a fairly large rear overhang so the caravan does move the car a fair bit. (I've towed with four Octavia's)

I strongly advise you look for a heavier towcar.

Edited by logiclee

This link suggests the kerb weight is 1252 kg which would indicate the V5C mass in service will give 1327 kg - please check this. If these weights are correct,  your car is not going to be heavy enough to tow the caravan safely. https://www.auto-data.net/en/skoda-octavia-iii-combi-1.6-tdi-110hp-25527

You could do with a car with a kerb weight about 1500 to 1600 kg but if you do not have B+E on your driving licence this means the car gross weight can not exceed 2052 kg.

Edited by Paul1957

If you are considering changing the car to get the bigger engine, it might be worth considering changing to the heavier skoda superb too?

• Like 1

I do like Skoda this is the problem only had car for a year so it s like new to me but the car wife was looking at is a 2.0ltr cmax that's automatic says can pull same but like mentioned sometimes doesn't work like that

i have a skoda yeti outdoor 4x4 manual 150bhp and its kerb weight is 1565kg this is heavier than the much larger skoda superb estate !!

and i used to to a caravan which was 1500kg fully laden no problem at all

well worth looking for 1  its a wolf in sheep's clothing

cannot recommend it highly enough

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Andskin1980 said:

I do like Skoda this is the problem only had car for a year so it s like new to me but the car wife was looking at is a 2.0ltr cmax that's automatic says can pull same but like mentioned sometimes doesn't work like that

You have to be careful with the Ford Diesel automatic "Powershift" gearboxes. There are known issues especially when towing.

If you like Skoda then you'd be looking at Yeti or Karoq in 2.0TDi 4x4 guise to get the weight or go bigger and look at Superb or Kodiaq.

Or sticking with VAG Passat ot Tiguan.

Edited by logiclee

I find this kind of topic so interesting. I have decided given that I plan on owning a caravan for many years to come and don't know what future car and van combination l will own its easier just to get the upgrade to my licence Nd have done with it. Sadly I passed in July 1997 so seven month out. I say sadly but at least I will recieve some coaching re towing which I guess is not a bad thing overall. 

Im in the odd position of owning a caravan and can't tow it! Been waiting to take the test but dates keep getting pushed back. 

My van is 1445 mile and car weighs over 2055kg so had little choice in the matter too. 

2 hours ago, Andskin1980 said:

Swap it for the heavier 2L Octavia like you said. My estate has a kerb weight of 1462kg and my van is 1420kg MTPLM. So far no issues and very stable whilst towing an Adria (longer A frame) with sensible loading and nose weight.

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

18 hours ago, smith100s said:

I find this kind of topic so interesting. I have decided given that I plan on owning a caravan for many years to come and don't know what future car and van combination l will own its easier just to get the upgrade to my licence Nd have done with it. Sadly I passed in July 1997 so seven month out. I say sadly but at least I will recieve some coaching re towing which I guess is not a bad thing overall. 

Im in the odd position of owning a caravan and can't tow it! Been waiting to take the test but dates keep getting pushed back. 

My van is 1445 mile and car weighs over 2055kg so had little choice in the matter too. 

I signed up with go!towing in August and had the training day + test in September. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Andskin1980 said:

So I've decided to trade my car in for a Volkswagen passet  2.0L automatic if its to heavy for me to tow then so be it, have to take the test if that doesn't pull I Give up haha

I've towed with a few 2.0 TDi Passat's, Good towcars and the DSG gearbox will fine. 

What version and year are you looking at? There are many different power outputs from 110PS to 240PS

Towing with 48BHP (1950) (overnight wild camping) en route to Belgium  .. slow but it got us there and back

Leason - Maidenhead.jpg

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .