One of my AL-KO side friction pads is very loose and is easily pushed out and has no resistance within the hole of the AL-KO hitch. The other one is fine and is held in firmly and requires a firm tap with a screwdriver and hammer as required. I believe I'm missing a rubber part which keeps the pad firm within the hitch and firm up against the towball when engaged. I bought a rubber O ring which im not sure how its fitted or is the part i actually need. Can someone help.

Anton

When changing my side pads, it was a case of tapping them out then popping them back in. 
Never took an o ring out or put one back in. 
Have you tried to hitch it onto the towball to make sure it's full popped back in?

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

18 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

When changing my side pads, it was a case of tapping them out then popping them back in. 
Never took an o ring out or put one back in. 
Have you tried to hitch it onto the towball to make sure it's full popped back in?

Indeed so and for most that's how it works but occasionally the 'O' ring gets dislodged from the groove and they are beggars to re-seat.  I really cannot help cos I got the tech locally to re-seat it.

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

1 minute ago, SamD said:

they are beggars to re-seat.  

And even more difficult to source if you lose one (guess how I know that :unsure: ) 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Yes, think that's what the issue is. If anyone has instructions on how to re-seat the O ring I'd be glad to hear.

Mr Plodd, how did you get it sorted?

Edited by antonb888

Never done this job but I have found washing up liquid on the rubber can help when putting grommets in place. It can then be wiped/washed off once the job is done.

17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

And even more difficult to source if you lose one (guess how I know that :unsure: ) 

Evening Mr.P.  how did you eventually acquire a new O ring  and the price ?

The reason I ask is that within many of my hobbies I have had to source many O rings of various sizes, i. d. , o.d , csa , thickness, shape round or flat,  material, shore hardness etc.

In many instances where the manufacturer of an item at best, wants to charge a silly price for one ring , at worst saying the O ring isn't available, rendering the item it's used on scrap, a little research finds the opposite, 10 rings for far less than the price of one.

Due to manufacturers, in most instances, designing their product around what's available, the cheapest option, seals, bearings, fixings etc. rather than ordering X number of unique items, there are many sources of supply of all shapes and sizes, as above, in metric and imperial sizes.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Anton, one of the posts in this thread from 6 years ago gives advice on how it’s done …

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Thanks John and to all the helpful advice.  I've got a couple of rings I got from here a few months ago, I'll give it a go at fitting them tomorrow. 

https://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/AL-KO-towing-spares/stabiliser-friction-pads/o-ring-suitable-for-aks-friction-pads/prod_1440.html

• Like 2

Be interested in hearing how you get on antonb888, I've just bought some from your link, as ours have been missing for a few years!

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

It’s a bit of a fiddle but not a difficult operation, you do need to get “down and personal” to see what you are doing. I always work on the theory that it got put together somehow so its just a case of working out how. I think it requires partial dismantling of the hitch so you can see what you are doing but it was a while ago I did mine.

I got a spare (single!) “O” ring from AL-KO  FOC as when I stripped the pads out to clean them one of the rings came out and it was clear it had been cut through on initial assembly. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

8 minutes ago, JTQ said:

I have never needed to change these friction gripping "O" rings, but having removed the whole coupling I would start that ring replacement task by doing the same so I could work on it on the bench.

This also allows you to give the whole a good clean up, check over and lubricate the two cams that apply the side loading and also the locking shoe mechanism.

Just make sure you have a "keeper" a cut off bolt or hard wood dowel the length of the draw tube's diameter and its diameter as the securing bolt to tap in behind the rear securing bolt, to retain the damper in place. The front bolt allows you to check the diameter required.

Edited by JTQ
9 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Never done this job but I have found washing up liquid on the rubber can help when putting grommets in place. It can then be wiped/washed off once the job is done.

Better to use liquid soap as washing up liquid usually contains salt.

• I agree completely 1

2017 Lunar Solaris 462, Mercedes B200 Exec CDI Auto

That's the O ring fitted. Took me about 10 seconds! Think I was lucky it seated in the grove first time. I used a small screwdriver to ease it in from the outside and it just popped right in the grove. I used a head torch to light up the hole. Didn't use any lubricant either. Simple really. 

Anton

• Like 1

:( I must've been doing something wrong, took a minute to fit two! :) 

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

If I had any hair left then I would have pulled it out reseating the o ring.In the end it eventually seated by using the shaft end of a drill that just fitted the hole and pushed it into place. 

John.