E Class and ML owners

So until recently we had a Grand Cherokee. It pulled the caravan lovely, and the wife was more than happy to use it during the week as her car.  For some reason in a moment of madness I decided to sell it, and replaced it with a Range Rover Sport.

We've been away with the caravan, and it tows it's without fault.  It even all works!

The problem is that I didn't ask my wife's opinion before buying it, and she hates it, so it's going.

She's come up with two replacement options, which I'm happy to go along with.  Either an E-Class estate, will be around a 2012 model, or a 2010ish M-Class.

Our caravan is a 2014 Sprite Quattro which weighs in at 1600kg, so either should be able to pull it without issue.

I'd be interested to hear any owner feedback.

Edited by craigderby

I've towed with an ML and an E Class Estate.  The ML tows fantastically well, stable, solid and as quick as you want to be.

The Estate, whilst having loads of power, never felt as stable.  It was twitchy in side winds and when being overtaken by HGVs.  Not dangerous, but I never felt as comfortable as with the ML.  Neither are particularly economical giving low 20s with enthusiastic acceleration and 60ish on motorways

I now have the later version of the ML - the GLE - it being my third in a row.  The reversing camera on later models is very useful when hitching up.  All in all, highly recommended

2 hours ago, mw3230 said:

I've towed with an ML and an E Class Estate.  The ML tows fantastically well, stable, solid and as quick as you want to be.

The Estate, whilst having loads of power, never felt as stable.  It was twitchy in side winds and when being overtaken by HGVs.  Not dangerous, but I never felt as comfortable as with the ML.  Neither are particularly economical giving low 20s with enthusiastic acceleration and 60ish on motorways

I now have the later version of the ML - the GLE - it being my third in a row.  The reversing camera on later models is very useful when hitching up.  All in all, highly recommended

Thanks for the feedback.  Looking through a few old posts you're not the first to question the stability of the E-Class, so I'm thinking that might not be the best choice.

Remember to take your wife this time....

Edited by gtepete
  • Like 1
Just now, gtepete said:

Remember to take your wife to see the new car next time....

I'll not make that mistake again!

I thought it would be a nice surprise, but her face when I rocked up with the RRS was a right picture :blush:

I’ve got a 2014 E220cdi which I’ve had since new. It’s now done 45k miles and has been totally fault free. It’s still on the original front tyres.

I tow a Sprite  Major at 1340 kgs. Contrary to what others have said it is a very stable tow but it’s important to set the tyre pressures to the maximum load setting. It has rear air suspension which is excellent.

We tow all over Europe including Spain and Croatia and am very happy with it.

Towing mpg averages around 28 but 30 is not unusual. I tend to set the cruise at an indicated 62 on motorways.

All in all I would highly recommend it. 

19 hours ago, craigderby said:

.......The problem is that I didn't ask my wife's opinion before buying it,.......

No question of man or mouse here then. ;)

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I would suggest that you look at the GLC,  great towcar better size for your wife and lots of power in the 250 and above. Best towcar i have had.

10 minutes ago, brilock1 said:

I would suggest that you look at the GLC,  great towcar better size for your wife and lots of power in the 250 and above. Best towcar i have had.

He said he was looking at 2010 to 2012 cars.

The GLC wasn’t launched until 2015.

9 minutes ago, Blackrat 51 said:

He said he was looking at 2010 to 2012 cars.

The GLC wasn’t launched until 2015.

The price between a 2012 Ml and a 2015 Glc would be similar all depending on miles. So worthy of consideration in my opinion for the op.  

2 minutes ago, brilock1 said:

The price between a 2012 Ml and a 2015 Glc would be similar all depending on miles. So worthy of consideration in my opinion for the op.  

Fair point.

The latest model GLC got a good review in this month’s caravan club magazine. We are considering one when we do change our E class.

6 minutes ago, Blackrat 51 said:

Fair point.

The latest model GLC got a good review in this month’s caravan club magazine. We are considering one when we do change our E class.

I am very pleased with mine, you will find it smaller inside to your e class and definitely consider the 250 over the 220. It has a nice but firm ride and amazing torque.

4 minutes ago, brilock1 said:

I am very pleased with mine, you will find it smaller inside to your e class and definitely consider the 250 over the 220. It has a nice but firm ride and amazing torque.

From around the middle of last year they revised the engine range.

Its now either the 220 at around 190 bhp or the 300 at around 240 bhp. At around 6k difference in price on a nearly new one I’d probably settle for the 220.

Yes the GLC is more money than we're planning to spend.  A GL would be a possible, but it's really down to an E-Class or ML.

2010 ML is pre ad-blue so pricey on road tax. I've been using a 2011 ML Grand Edition 350 cdi for 2 .5 years to haul a 2000kg Buccaneer. It was the run out model before a face lift in 2012, has a lovely spec and pulls like a train if your budget will stretch to it.

This one has 20" wheels which I think may contribute to a slightly harsher ride when solo than I would like so perhaps settle for smaller rims. Also check service history for evidence of transmission fluid change (60k miles).

Wife likes it too:-)

Jim

We have the 2015 Ml 250 and I have to say the car is a dream to both drive and tow with. Average 35 MPG driving to work and back, 11 miles EW, around 45 MPG on a run solo and around 23 towing 1700kg.

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, five Grandkids.

11 hours ago, Blackrat 51 said:

I’ve got a 2014 E220cdi which I’ve had since new. It’s now done 45k miles and has been totally fault free. It’s still on the original front tyres.

I tow a Sprite  Major at 1340 kgs. Contrary to what others have said it is a very stable tow but it’s important to set the tyre pressures to the maximum load setting. It has rear air suspension which is excellent.

We tow all over Europe including Spain and Croatia and am very happy with it.

Towing mpg averages around 28 but 30 is not unusual. I tend to set the cruise at an indicated 62 on motorways.

All in all I would highly recommend it. 

C-Class estate C250 here but same platform as the E and toes a 1460kg perfectly even in side winds. As above it would tow awful unless the rear tyres in particular are set from 36psi to 48psi and with the XL load tyres. M - Class of that era means big bills and below average reliability in contrast to the 2012 era E-Class which is widely regarded as one of the best made cars of recent years. 

Edited by Pembssurfer

If it pulled your 'van well and the wife liked driving it why don't you just get another Grand Cherokee?

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Educate the wife before you get rid of the RRS!

Upon the inevitable failure of that, my vote (based on no experience whatsoever) is for the E Class estate. Like I said in your previous thread, go for a Sport so the suspension is slightly firmer. The 2012 shape is a stunning looking thing.

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

My main reservation with an E class is the noweweight limit of 84kgs. I would need to be run dead on it, as our caravan isn't happy under 85kgs, and normally I have it at 95

1 minute ago, craigderby said:

My main reservation with an E class is the noweweight limit of 84kgs. I would need to be run dead on it, as our caravan isn't happy under 85kgs, and normally I have it at 95

There are a lot of variables that determine towing stability one of them being towball height, with a car such as the E Class etc (saloon/estate) you can achieve a nose down attitude whilst maintaining an 84kg nose weight, where as something like your Jeep could have a level hitch and require a higher downforce of 95kg to achieve the same stability.

Also as I recall the hitch on the Jeep is quite long so again can affect the required nose weight to achieve a stable tow.

• Like 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

15 minutes ago, craigderby said:

Plus it has a very long overhang, ball to rear axle, a feature not working in favour of towing stability.

3 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Plus it has a very long overhang, ball to rear axle, a feature not working in favour of towing stability.

The self levelling rear suspension and AMG trim / firmer suspension works wonders at stopping the caravan from bouncing on the rear. My c-Class ball limit is 75kg but managed to get it fairly close without too much bother. I put the leisure battery in the rear footwell of the car or just don’t take it at all. Spare wheel sits just past rearward side of the axle inside and a few inches either side brings about a 5-10kg difference in nose weight. Unless you REALLY like high maintenance bills for the ML I’d stay clear of it at that age. I speak as someone who was prepared to drop some serious money on one a couple of years ago.

I run a 2013 e class estate towing a swift 555, with the self levelling suspension I find its perfect. average about 26 mpg when towing mid 40s solo around town and about 52 solo at 76 (120kph) on motorways

Well we did a bit of shopping last night, and ended up with neither!  Instead we've bought a Freelander 2, so slightly different to the plan, but the good lady is happy enough and it should tow the caravan without too much issue.

I suppose I should sell the Range Rover Sport now, but I might see how long I can get away with keeping it as a weekend runabout lol