Websites with MOT status.

During the lockdown I p/x my car for another it would have needed an MOT at the beginning of this month so I've looked to see if it passed or failed, yes just being a bit nosey.

It's states is it now has no MOT, have MOTs commence and is data base being updated?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

MOTs have restarted and the database should be updated online from the computer in the garage.

However, not all garages have re-opened fully because of Covid restrictions, either because of shielding or vulnerable staff, or difficulties with social distancing within the premises. 

I'm surprised this dealer would be in the not open for MOT as he is a main dealer.

I thought they MOT all cars as p/x straight away, this is the case of the one I bought.

So as you say system working I'm wondering what happened to the car I p/x to them.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

9 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I'm surprised this dealer would be in the not open for MOT as he is a main dealer.

I thought they MOT all cars as p/x straight away, this is the case of the one I bought.

So as you say system working I'm wondering what happened to the car I p/x to them.

They normally MOT a car only when a sale is agreed, then they can sell it with the good selling point of a 12 months MOT rather than one for 9 months say, because it's been unsold for 3 months.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, joanie said:

would the dealer have sold the car on  to another garage ?

Or depending on age and condition, to auction.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

They normally MOT a car only when a sale is agreed, then they can sell it with the good selling point of a 12 months MOT rather than one for 9 months say, because it's been unsold for 3 months.

Well from records on present car mot March prior to look down done 2 month before it was 3 years old.

The day I went in to look for a car it appeared at the back of cars set up for sale it had no price and data sheet on it I went in as soon as they able to deal again.

A previous car I bought from different make main dealer I took it back for a very minor fault and they took me and car into workshop to do a fix in a few minutes and the car I p/x the day before was up on the lift in the MOT bay being MOT.

Well could have been sold on to another dealer or put in auction it will be 5 years old so resaleable on a dealers site I would have thought.

In the old days if you went to a main dealers you would find the s/h ones would be that make and up to 3 years old but today they seem to sell s/h all makes and indeed older than 3 years.

Regards, David

As well as checking MOT history on -line you can check if a car is insured via askmid. This will give you another look to see if the car has been sold. Unless a car has a buyer I would not think a dealer will do any work or MOT it apart from a wash/valet since the cost of these things come out of the sales budget and if it does not sell then it is lost money.

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

As well as checking MOT history on -line you can check if a car is insured via askmid. 

Thanks, yes it is insured.

So know got insurance, not taxed and no MOT.

Regards, David

Currently there can be a delay in records being updated. A friend bought a used Mercedes 2 weeks ago and is in possession of the new MOT paperwork. It's still shown as MOT expired but taxed until August 2021. The dealer couldn't have taxed it without a current MOT!

Edited by Legal Eagle

My understanding is that the MOT is produced real time from the data input to the government website from the test centre. If the paperwork has been produced, the government website is up to date...

Not withstanding that is there not a situation where MOTs are currently extended for up to 6 months and this may not show on the website.

When my car was last MOTed I'd seen the details of it online about 10 minutes before the garage appeared with the paperwork!

Then my old car is in a funny situation.

Regards, David

Yes the MOT info updates straightaway.  

When I had ours tested the other week I'd been able to pop on and see it had passed before the chap came to tell me the result.

28 minutes ago, smith100s said:

I often use this site to check on the status of my family's previous cars.   In 2002 my youngest daughter bought a new Citroen Xsara.   When the warranty finished I took over its maintenance.   Because she used the car for the occasional business trip, in 2014  her employers told her she would loose her allowance unless she bought a new car.   She did and the Xsara was sold on ebay.   Her's is one whose progress I check on the MOT site.   It currently has 176500 miles on it.   My previous Citroen C5 which I part-ex'd seven years ago is due for MOT in November with 136K on it.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If your car benefitted fro m the lockdown six months it doesn't have to be mot d till six months after the date it was due. The now needs an mot only applies to when the rule was lifted, not retrospectively. My motorbike was a July mot no need for one till January, STILL but this has now ended. Still applies to those it did apply to!

Same website also allows you to check any recalls outstanding. Very useful prior to purchase. 

If a main dealer takes a car in part exchange which does not meet the specification for its own used vehicle scheme then it will "burn" the vehicle to the trade. Some dealers may have an agreement with one or more local dealers, others may just send it to an auction. Whichever way it can sometimes remain unsold in the system for several months, during which time it will remain without an MOT. 

Some dealers who take these cars will inspect them, complete the most basic of services then wait until the vehicle is sold and simply issue an MOT certificate when it is. 

• I agree completely 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

I use the App, "Vehicle Smart"  which gives current and past mot, tax, & mileage history, also basic vehicle spec.  For free you can store 5 vehicles data in "my Garage"  of for a very small fee (1.99 if I remember) lots of vehicles.  It will also give warnings of upcoming MOT and Tax.

If your nerdy, you can look up cars on the TV, like Vera's landy!

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017