Well I'm finally here at one of my top 3 sites being sunny Machrihanish and its busy . Was a late arrival tonight being 1030pm after being stuck up in Dundee in the lorry at 0400pm.

Latest I have ever been but had phoned ahead  and was told to go on the late arrival pitch but as usual the Warden / Owner looked after auld GAS on arrival and had a pitch for me so let me quietly set nr the entrance so as  not to disturb a peaceful site.

Was going to give it a miss after a stressful day delivering to building sites but that extra mile was worth it and the road was so quiet especially seeing the moon glistening of the sea .....  Getting windy out there....😧......

• Like 3

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

46 years ago on Tuesday we stayed on the site in  Machrihanish on the second night of our honeymoon. Not sure if it is the same site but suspect it is.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Absolutely love that place, we have been going there for the last 10 years, I actually lived on the RAF camp when my father was stationed there in the 70's, I went to the grammar school there.
Unfortunately this year will be the first time we've not been up there and it's depressing  :( 

On 27/09/2020 at 01:41, Odds said:

Absolutely love that place, we have been going there for the last 10 years, I actually lived on the RAF camp when my father was stationed there in the 70's, I went to the grammar school there.
Unfortunately this year will be the first time we've not been up there and it's depressing  :( 

When in the 70's Odds ? I was Posted there in 1978.... May know your Dad...

GAS ...

On 27/09/2020 at 01:41, Odds said:

....and so do I .... Did two Tours at Mach and consider myself kind a hawf local... Even rented a flat in Burnside St right across from the Burnside Bar and was nice to see the building has had a face lift.

It's just such a shame to see the demise of the Wee Toon with a lot of industry and manufacturing either pulling out or simply closing down.

When the Air Base Closed for ever that was the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned as it fed and watered a lot of smaller companies associated with camp. Was in the Ugadale Saturday and Sunday for the footy then a lovely walk to the van  on the beach hawf scooshed watching another fantastic sunset...  I actually brought back a very large piece of drift wood. More of a tree branch just under the full length of the van. :D Had to put it through the back kitchen window in the van to transport it home. Bleached white with fantastic wood grain . God only knows how long it had been floating about. Going in my cave as part of my fire place...

GAS ...

On 30/09/2020 at 18:12, GAS said:

When in the 70's Odds ? I was Posted there in 1978.... May know your Dad...

GAS ...

We were there about 72/3 until my father was posted to Bawtry, Doncaster in 1976
I can still remember him coming home telling us he had been posted to Machrihanish, at the time we were in Bingham, Nottingham having returned from Singapore and we thought we were off abroad to some exotic location  :)
We lived at the very first house on the left as you went past what is now a diner on the left.  15 Cnoc Moy Gardens as it was then known as.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.4485803,-5.6909264,3a,75y,208.55h,67.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCvzuhRi9a6wGW8u_tglq4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by Odds
1 hour ago, Odds said:

We were there about 72/3 until my father was posted to Bawtry, Doncaster in 1976
I can still remember him coming home telling us he had been posted to Machrihanish, at the time we were in Bingham, Nottingham having returned from Singapore and we thought we were off abroad to some exotic location  :)
We lived at the very first house on the left as you went past what is now a diner on the left.  15 Cnoc Moy Gardens as it was then known as.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.4485803,-5.6909264,3a,75y,208.55h,67.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCvzuhRi9a6wGW8u_tglq4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Brilliant.... Aye just past what used to be the auld Families Club. Great Bar and mixed ranks.... 

You know when the Camp shut down the married quarters went on the market and you could have bought a 2 bedroom semi detached or terraced for as cheap as a new caravan today even cheaper . 😄 Also it may have been a RAF camp but the difference due to it being relatively small manning wise it held a kind a family atmosphere every one knowing every one. Even the CO would pick you up in his staff car for a lift ... Never ever have that in the bigger camps... Aye great memories...

Gas....

You mean The Tin Roof Diner.

Bought 3 ammunition lockers there last year highly unusual christmas presents for my young male relatives😀.

We have missed our annual three weeks on Kintyre especially our haunts like the Tin Roof and Glenbarr cafe.

Up here in The Broch(Fraserburgh esplanade) for 12 days.

Weather windy and heavy rain flooded roads etc wind building really big sea running we expect a big front to go over tonight.

Went to Banff today extensive road flooding but a warm welcome at the Spotty Bag Shop cafe great views of the waves roaring in.

Enjoy Kintyre GAS.

• Thanks 1

Can we stop saying how beautiful it is up at Machrihanish please, you're only going to encourage more people to visit there  :P 

• I agree completely 1

Believe it or not GAS, my late Dad never had a license so travelling was on buses and trains.  It actually took us just as long to get to Machrihanish as it did to get to Singapore.
Even now, from here in Manchester it's a 6 and half hour trip, and that's without stopping.  God knows how long it would take towing a caravan. 

Edited by Odds
14 hours ago, Odds said:

Can we stop saying how beautiful it is up at Machrihanish please, you're only going to encourage more people to visit there  :P 

Its a long long way from anywhere😂.

From Livingston its only 160 miles but its a hard tow after the end of the M8.

We stop at the log truck park at Inveraray for lunch then on down the notorious A83 keeping an eye open for head on log lorries.

9 hours ago, ancell said:

Its a long long way from anywhere😂.

From Livingston its only 160 miles but its a hard tow after the end of the M8.

We stop at the log truck park at Inveraray for lunch then on down the notorious A83 keeping an eye open for head on log lorries.

Was sharing a pint with Billy Mc Fadyen last Saturday  night. Now a Millionaire... Aye there's money in widd Ancell....🙄

My neighbour on the esplanade had the offside lower  plastics

removed from his camper.

Head on on one of the many stone wall lined road sections up here on a single carriage road.

The elderly driver of the oncoming car/caravan combo failed to move over.

Both failed to stop in time.

The neighbour knew he had moved as his motorhome is left hand drive.

Not a mistake I have made with log trucks-yet.