Tried to download the new NHS app  on my IPhone 6 and been told that phone is out of date, brilliant start, it appears you have  to have upto date software installed only available on newer phones. Being elderly I thought it would be a comfort to know I had been in proximity to a carrier but it's not to be, can't afford a new phone, he ho.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Don’t use the data on my phone so that counts me out as well! 

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Not sure I want to use it as heard only 10% of people will.

• I disagree 2
  • I agree completely 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Works ok on the wifes iPhone 6 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

21 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

Works ok on the wifes iPhone 6 

There must be different versions of IPhone 6, what version software is installed

10 minutes ago, Halohodge said:

There must be different versions of IPhone 6, what version software is installed

She's running ios 13.7

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

1 minute ago, JanandJay said:

She's running ios 13.7

Obviously a newer phone 6  than mine

Fine on our Motorola G5s. Android but not latest models.

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

28 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

She's running ios 13.7

It must be a 6S. Support for the 6 was dropped with iOS13.

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

Wondering why 90% won't.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

42 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

No good on my Nokia Windows Phone either ☹️

John

that must be a canny age too, they haven't been on the market for quite awhile.

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

22 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Wondering why 90% won't.

wont or cant?

Posts above already mentioned it does not work on their phone

The 10 % of people that will really does not give an insight but makes great headlines. What about those without mobile phones, are they part of the 90%, same for those that cannot use it on their phones, the infirm, the OAP's in a nursing home, those in hospital, in prison?  Statistics may be factually correct but also misleading, bordering on untrue

macafee2

First off when you go to download the app there are just two choices. IPhone Or Android phone. So if you have a Windows phone your out of luck. 

Apple are past masters at ensuring their products have a limited usable life but I would have thought  the developers of the app would have ensured it’s backwards compatible (but I don’t know that of course) 

I have downloaded the app onto a  Huawei Android phone with no problems at all. 

To all the naysayers,  this App clearly isn’t perfect, but it is an awful lot better than nothing at all. If it saves just a few from this virus that can only be good so rather than knocking it try being a bit positive, who knows, it might even save YOU from contracting Covid!! 

Oh silly me, I forgot, that well known expert on Covid, one David Icke knows that it’s all a conspiracy, doesn’t actually exist, and the symptoms are caused by 5G masts.

I wonder what life is like in Icke-Land? 

• I agree completely 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Just downloaded to my Moto G5 without any problems. It will only work if lots more download it, lets hope they do.

VW Tiguan R Line Tech and Eccles Topaz SE

11 hours ago, David 38 said:

Wondering why 90% won't.

Sounds like a fact circulated by expert practitioners on Facebook.

Over 1 million downloads in the first hours the app was released in England & Wales. Scotland have had their version available for 2 weeks, 600,000 downloads on the first day. According to news  reports, research has shown that it only needs 15% of the population participating to be effective but it only needs 2 people with the app to make the system work.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

.......Apple are past masters at ensuring their products have a limited usable life but I would have thought  the developers of the app would have ensured it’s backwards compatible (but I don’t know that .....

It was explained by a tech expert in a news report yesterday. Apple and Google place restrictions on backwards compatability for all apps so the developers' hands for all app developments are tied. It's to do with the technological advancements of newer phones having to be catered for in app development which older phones cannot cope with.

Windows phones are no longer produced or supported on any platform. Something to do with the clockwork winder mechanism!

• Haha 3

Apple are actually better at supporting older phone models than pretty much every other manufacturer.  iOS 14 is supported on everything from the iPhone 6s onwards, which means any Apple phone released in the last five years can run it.

While the situation has improved recently most Android phones released a year ago struggle to run this years Android release.  Either due to hardware issues or, more commonly, because the phone manufacturer won't release updates for older phones in order to drive sales of new models.

That is also why Apple have a much higher proportion of users on the latest iOS versions than Android.

I'm not at all good with Apps on my phone so can you help me install this one please.

I got to Play store and searched NHS got several results and was to me not clear which, if there, is the one.  Picked one NHS 24 Corvid 19  wanted me to give means of payment but I skipped that and clicked Install , started and waited and waited arrow going round came back an hour later and nothing.

Regards, David

6 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I'm not at all good with Apps on my phone so can you help me install this one please.

I got to Play store and searched NHS got several results and was to me not clear which, if there, is the one.  Picked one NHS 24 Corvid 19  wanted me to give means of payment but I skipped that and clicked Install , started and waited and waited arrow going round came back an hour later and nothing.

Go to this NHS website, click on the Google Play option and it will take you straight to it. Click on install.

https://www.covid19.nhs.uk/

Search only for NHS Covid 19 and it should be obvious. Free to download and only takes a minute or so. You only get asked two things. The first part of your postcode and permission to allow scanning via Bluetooth. 

Once up and running, leave the app running all the time. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

14 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Just gave a blank white screen

Regards, David