I purchased a new 2020 swift challenger 645 a few months a go which had a plated MTPLM as 1680kg. With one gas bottle and putting the awning in the car I just about managed to stay within the limit given the weight of the motor mover, battery etc. There is only two of us and we dont take a large amount of extras so it surprised me how quickly you can reach the max payload.

when I purchased the van I requested a plate upgrade which I have just received today for no extra charge and it has increased the MTPLM from 1680kg to 2000kg which is a significant increase and maked me wonder why manufacturers cant just Display the max MTPLM in the first place.

I was really surprised at the difference it has given us almost 300kg which we will be no where near even though the new disco sport 2020 handles it lovely

• Like 1

A 380kg upgrade?? Are you sure as it seems much higher that is normally available? Most caravan upgrades are about half that at the most! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Yep double checked. Current mtplm plate says 1681kg. The new plate and documentation says mtplm 2000kg

The maximum uprate should be shown together with the original  MTPLMof 1681KG  on a seperate plate that is inside the gas locker in your case should read 2000KG .You can therefore check that they have forwarded you the correct uprated plate.

47 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

A 380kg upgrade??

When I was at school 1680 to 2000 as 320, not 380. 

52 minutes ago, Marcusp said:

maked me wonder why manufacturers cant just Display the max MTPLM in the first place.

because not all tow cars can handle that weight, and so the caravan would be excluded from those potential customers. UK caravans tend to have very modest user payloads in order to moderate the MTPLM. Many are technically capable of carrying greater loads than their MTPLM suggests and can be up rated at time of purchase. My Lunar has a MIRO of 1283, MTPLM of 1600 but could be up rated as far as 2000. Mine was plated at 1700 which would suggest that was the limit of the tow car for the first owner.

Edited by PMW
  • Like 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

I belive Swift and Bailey have finally set up optional upgrades which are more appropriate. For a large caravan. such as this one 2000Kg is quite sensible.  As these upgrades are achieved with simply a paperwork excersize and a sticky label, the axles and running gear must be rated higher than in previous years when the axles were rated only slightly higher than the MPLM.  It all sounds too good to be true!

Edited by Ern
  • I agree completely 1

Ern

7 minutes ago, PMW said:

When I was at school 1680 to 2000 as 320, not 380. 

Typo :blink:

• Haha 2
  • I disagree 1

That’s a decent upgrade! I had ours (2018 Swift) raised from 1624 to 1800kgs. I have no intention of loading up to it, but “just in case”!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Our 845 is plated as 2000kg as standard, gives us a payload of 265kg, well theoretically of course. 

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

Recently, some UK manufacturers have started an attempt at entering the Continental market, but there they have absolutely no chance of gaining customers by offering caravans with puny payloads. In order to make their products saleable for export they are having to fit heavier duty chassis. With such chassis available for export there's no reason why they shouldn't be fitted for the UK market as well, either as standard or as a regular production option.

Edited by Lutz

My 2017 challenger 635 was plated at 1680  re plated to 2000kg 

MIRO is 1550  so 450kg payload now

Danny 

450kg payload?? 

To quote the Monty Python crew.......

Eeeee,  we good only dreeeeam of such luxury ! 

The MTPLM is deliberately set low to increase sales. The higher it is the less cars can tow it and so the sales potential is restricted. The current idea of giving upgrades is the best for sales, so there is little chance of it being changed. The upgrade here does seem high but only Swift and AL-KO know what the limit is for that chassis.

8 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

The MTPLM is deliberately set low to increase sales. The higher it is the less cars can tow it and so the sales potential is restricted. The current idea of giving upgrades is the best for sales, so there is little chance of it being changed. The upgrade here does seem high but only Swift and AL-KO know what the limit is for that chassis.

There is actually a plate on the axle showing its limit.

• Like 1

I would be interesting to know what the maximum axle loads are.  There should be a plate on axle giving the information.  

51 minutes ago, fred said:

I would be interesting to know what the maximum axle loads are.  There should be a plate on axle giving the information.  

If the caravan was built after whole vehicle type approval came into effect in 2014, the maximum permissible axle load is displayed on the statutory plate, together with the MTPLM. Any plate on the axle itself is irrelevant to the end user. It only has any relevance to the caravan manufacturer, who can, if he thinks fit, reduce the maximum permissible axle load to a lower value than what a plate on the axle shows.

51 minutes ago, fred said:

As I stated above, a plate on the axle is irrelevant. What counts is the permissible axle load (and, for that matter, the MTPLM) displayed on the statutory plate applied by the caravan manufacturer.

Edited by Lutz

Swift are definitely missing a trick on their website then because I can't see anywhere where they list these MLTPM upgrades. I had discounted them due to this

11 minutes ago, Lutz said:

As I stated above, a plate on the axle is irrelevant. What counts is the permissible axle load displayed on the statutory plate applied by the caravan manufacturer.

What about if the individual axles are 1000kg each?  In that circumstance it becomes difficult to ensure that one axle isn’t over loaded.  

57 minutes ago, fred said:

1100kg per axle, i had to get under to take a pic for me dealer to order new brakes recently 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dannyp said:

1100kg per axle, i had to get under to take a pic for me dealer to order new brakes recently 

So you have a safety margin.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BucksDad said:

Swift are definitely missing a trick on their website then because I can't see anywhere where they list these MLTPM upgrades. I had discounted them due to this

They mention it in the options bit by saying "refer to your dealer" - poor really. I was looking this morning trying to compare Swift to Bailey. Bailey clearly describe the additional payload options.

Ern

32 minutes ago, Dannyp said:

Here is the info. 

Screenshot_20200924-125950_Gallery.jpg

That is an AL-KO plate. It doesn't count. What counts is the maximum permissible axle load displayed on the statutory plate.

Edited by Lutz