Hi guys , need some advise , I’ve got a Vw Tiguan 2015 2.0 tdi bluemotion match 2 wd , it’s kerbwieght is 1541 . 
Im looking at buying a swift sprite major 4sb  , it’s laden weight is 1442 . I hear people talking about the 85% and saying it’s only a guide , will my Tiguan pull this van ok ?   Thanks in advance 

We tow out 1451kg Sprite Major 4eb with our 2017 Tiguan 2.0L, but I don't know of its heavier than yours?

As long as your driving licence permits, and the car is heavier than the caravan (using 85% as a guide) and the car can legally tow 1442kg then you will be ok.

Totally agree with LeadFarmer and we towed for miles and years with no issues at 113% kerbweight! 

• Like 1

If you put your car on a weigh bridge I'm confident it will weigh more than  1541kg.

When I  had a Mazda cx-5 kerbweight was declared as 1650kg when a forum member actually weighed the same car  model and year as mine it weighed 1720kg with him in the car.

• Like 2

Thanks folks , I’m sure we’ll be fine , just don’t want to spend a big chunk of money on a caravan then find out our car isn’t fit for purpose 👍🏻

Keep the caravan lighter than the tow car, and when towing load the heavier items into the car. 

The wifes Tiguan is a company car and its the best car we've ever had, and the best tow car we've had, we love it. 

We have a Tiguan Match 177 ps DSG  , and apart from being 4wd is much the same as the OP , this is our second the previous being 140ps and manual

I can vouch for the excellent towing ability of the car , only once did I get a small occurrence of instability , this was in the end due to poor caravan loading .Easy to rectify .Otherwise even at French AutoRoute speeds the car/ caravan is rock solid

I believe the short overhang at the rear goes some way to making the car an excellent tow car .We have now covered in excess of 10k miles towing without problems

The DSG however sometimes struggles to be in the correct gear , and I have to resort to manual mode, especially N roads in France , and B roads in the UK , that said ,solo ,I love it .   

• Like 1

I have been suprised with the performance of our Tig which we bought December. The DSG seems to change up/down very smoothly and selects the appropriate ratio and change point very well. I occasionally use the paddles to change up if the DSG is a bit latent, but otherwise its excellent. I havent weighed it because we arent concerned about the weight of it. Very stable and capable tow car.

• Like 1

Ern