☃️☃️Christmas 🎄🎄

31 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

Never advise in advance that you will be away.

macafee2

It’s hardly an issue advertising it on a forum where your location isn’t mentioned anywhere.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We remove postcodes so members' locations are very general. 

• Like 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

45 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

It’s hardly an issue advertising it on a forum where your location isn’t mentioned anywhere.

I would go into an explanation but I really cant be bothered, feel free to announce when you are away.

Did a mod give similar advice a week or two ago?

macafee2

I think the caravan being missing from the drive or even just loading outside on the road is a bigger clue to being away than an oblique mention on here.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2
1 hour ago, macafee2 said:

I would go into an explanation but I really cant be bothered, feel free to announce when you are away.

Did a mod give similar advice a week or two ago?

macafee2

No idea, but if there is a way of finding out where members live I’d love to know. A genuine question as I assumed anonymity was pretty much cast iron on a forum

Christmas what? I'm working for 11 hours from 0800 on the 25th,  going on to nights on Boxing Day.

So a pretty standard year this year, just treat it as any other day.

Meh.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

No idea, but if there is a way of finding out where members live I’d love to know. A genuine question as I assumed anonymity was pretty much cast iron on a forum

Few weeks ago I offered to go to another members house to help, if accepted that would have given me their address. They then post when they are away. 

Offers to go to someones "house" to help seem rare on this forum but common on another forum I use.  

macafee2

13 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

on another forum about 10 years ago I worked out a woman's address from info that she gave, I did report it . She told us the town and the make of caravan, like many do on forums.   She also talked about the place she lived , on a corner so she could put the van beside the house and the hedge and the large garden.  Then she said that all the street names in her area were named after poets, so not too difficult to google , find the make of van parked up on a corner house as she described . So be careful what info you put out there. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

It is surprising how much information some people do give away without realising it. Not so much on here, but on other social media the detail can be frightening!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

Christmas what? I'm working for 11 hours from 0800 on the 25th,  going on to nights on Boxing Day.

So a pretty standard year this year, just treat it as any other day.

Meh.

Thank you for what you do and when you do it:Thankyou:

• I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

49 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It is surprising how much information some people do give away without realising it. Not so much on here, but on other social media the detail can be frightening!

Yes, there was an advert on TV not so long ago that showed this.

18 hours ago, Teddy Edwards said:

We wouldn't normally consider using the van over Christmas and New Year, but we might this New Year!

We have often stayed away in either a caravan or motorhome over the new year period BUT  for our safety and that of others, this time round we shall not be making that non-essential trip from home over Christmas/New Year.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

We should have been on a cruise round the Canaries this Christmas but was as expected cancelled. 

This morning we have just picked up a cancellation at Chatsworth CMC over Christmas :) :)

• Like 2

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Hope you can go as caravan club phoned and cancelled this weekend as they know we are in level 3  we can only go to sites  in our region 

First of all, unless Government says we can't leave the area, I'm against going out in the caravan.  With caravan sales up and way over the top, I'm assuming that there will be caravan backlogs on the roads, so Christmas Day dinner could end up being on a lane on the M6, M5, M4, M1, M25, etc, etc, looking like the biggest street party on record.  So I've booked myself a table, hopefully close to a log burning fire, as I'm on my own, at The Bells of Peover in Cheshire, and hope that doesn't get cancelled:D

2 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

… So I've booked myself a table, hopefully close to a log burning fire, as I'm on my own, at The Bells of Peover in Cheshire …

Babs, as recently mentioned elsewhere on this forum, it’s probably best not to advertise when you’ll be out of your house - especially as Christmas is a ‘popular’ working day for the ne’er-do-wells.

John

Let's not worry Babs too much as she's only going a short distance for Christmas Day Dinner. 

And the place she lives in has a population in excess of 30,000.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Yep, not even mentioned what time or where I live.  I'm not that far away actually, and my neighbours are the greatest.  In fact, the small estate I live on, the people are pretty nosy, so no one can enter without being noticed by someone:D.   But thanks anyway guys, much appreciated.  Just hope everyone can have a lovely Christmas this year

• 2 weeks later...

Our plans to go away this month have been scuppered so hopefully December will be possible. Maybe even Christmas/New Year. Any recommendations for non club sites would be welcomed. Dorset/Hampshire/West Sussex area.

Just heard today, that if you wish to defer Christmas/New Year until January, there may be a cruise or two starting back up.  There are talks about it at present re the Government.  Watch this space!!:D  Love saying that:lol::lol:

• Haha 1

Don’t think I would want to risk a cruise in January February, not until I have had the vaccine. At least I currently have a selection of cruise liners anchored off Weymouth to gaze wistfully at. 

We DO have two cruise booked for next year, but not until September (Fjords) And November (Singapore to Perth via Bali) Then theres the cancelled 10 day trip to Disney with son and family in between those cruises in October! We should have gone this October for sons 40th and Mrs P’s 65th ! 

Gonna be a busy Autumn (hopefully) 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

November (Singapore to Perth via Bali)

Best of luck with that, the government of WA isn’t even allowing Aussies from other states into WA at present!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

It is just over 12 months in the future ! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills