SEAT TERRACO XCELLENCE 190 DSG

I would be interested to hear from any one with experience using this vehicle for towing a caravan , not to bothered about fuel consumption but comfort, stability and power would be useful.

Found plenty of solo reviews but none towing, this model comes with DSG only for me that’s a plus.

To get an idea you could look at any Skoda Kodiaq or VW Tiguan Allspace reviews as they're fundamentally the same car.

Is the 190 petrol or diesel? Either way, I'm sure matched to the right caravan they will be very good. Stability might be slightly reduced if you are coming from a standard height car.

• Like 1

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

Petrol or Diesel 190 will make a good towcar and both will come with a 7 speed wetclutch DSG so no worries there.

What weight of caravan are you looking at? 

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

I tow 1700kg with a 190ps  diesel Tiguan which weight 1755kg, so you will have no problems on the power side.

DSG is also the best option for towing and solo.

Can't help with with the other questions.

Thanks for all the comments so far just exchanged from a 2017 150 tdi 4 motion manual gearbox.

Nothing wrong with the Tig never missed a beat only towing 1500 kg so no problems with weight my mistake not getting auto version .

Decided to go for similar car but slightly more room for Caravanning junk and third row of seats( that doesn’t include the grandchildren) so down to one of three VW. Skoda or Seat for me best drive out the three and best obtainable deal was Seat XCELLENCE 190 4DRIVE DIESEL this was just a personal choice after trying all three back to back others will differ.

Tow bar fitted in two weeks time I will return with comments after an outing, again thanks for replying all views most welcome.

17 minutes ago, weekender said:

Tow bar fitted in two weeks time I will return with comments after an outing, again thanks for replying all views most welcome.

Who's doing the towbar? Ensure they are using dedicated electrics

25 minutes ago, weekender said:

Thanks for all the comments so far just exchanged from a 2017 150 tdi 4 motion manual gearbox.

Nothing wrong with the Tig never missed a beat only towing 1500 kg so no problems with weight my mistake not getting auto version .

Decided to go for similar car but slightly more room for Caravanning junk and third row of seats( that doesn’t include the grandchildren) so down to one of three VW. Skoda or Seat for me best drive out the three and best obtainable deal was Seat XCELLENCE 190 4DRIVE DIESEL this was just a personal choice after trying all three back to back others will differ.

I would appreciate any comparison with your new car against the Tiguan assuming you had the Mk2, I won't be offended with any negative comments.

Just had a tow bar fitted today to my Seat Teracco Xcellence 150 diesel 4 wheel drive.

Built in Wolfsburg its a Spanish vehicle only in name😀.

I will be towing our Swift Conqueror 560 MTPL 1660K with it.

I expect its 7 speed transmission  auto/paddleshift box driving all 4 wheels will tow up Berriedale Braes no problem 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berriedale,_Highland

Its a lot of vehicle for the money.

In sport mode its relatively good fun.

I will be towing in sport mode same as our now gone Seat Alhambra.

I expect the same performance quality wise as our Wolfsburg built Alhambra nil faults in 3 years and 30000+ miles-60000 was our usual average in that time.

Its not a real offroader with its low ground clearance but it will cope with our Scottish winters better than the Alhambra-I hope.

29 minutes ago, ancell said:

Its not a real offroader with its low ground clearance but it will cope with our Scottish winters better than the Alhambra-I hope.

The latest electronics and Gen5 Haldex are excellent. But tyres are still king on snow and ice.

Especially if you have 20" 40 Series low profile summer rubber.

Don't be tempted to join these guys. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-JgTzeObs&t=1s

Edited by logiclee

Tow bar will be fitted by Phill Taylor Towbars at Horndean very reliable company they fitted my previous Tiguan detachable ball with dedicated electrics will be doing the same for the Terraco.

One slight minus against the Terraco is hitch weight being 80 kg where Tiguan is 100 kg  knowing this before doing the deal we had a few days away to make sure we could achieve the correct nose weight and would still give a stable tow , which it did I know this could change with the new car but I feel I have done as much as possible to avoid unwanted surpri

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The latest electronics and Gen5 Haldex are excellent. But tyres are still king on snow and ice.

33 minutes ago, weekender said:

Tow bar will be fitted by Phill Taylor Towbars at Horndean very reliable company they fitted my previous Tiguan detachable ball with dedicated electrics will be doing the same for the Terraco.

One slight minus against the Terraco is hitch weight being 80 kg where Tiguan is 100 kg  knowing this before doing the deal we had a few days away to make sure we could achieve the correct nose weight and would still give a stable tow , which it did I know this could change with the new car but I feel I have done as much as possible to avoid unwanted surpri

Terraco maximum hitch weight is 88K in my handbook.

City Towbars fitted mine third towbar in 9 years from them.

Detachable. £575 fitted.

Including dedicated harness-a must to avoid electronics issues.

Including extensive software input via hand held coding device-annual service charge £400 for upgrades.

D-I-Y forget it.

Well on my new Teracco anyway😀.

Dash needs dismantled to install tow bar loom power supply.

Back bumper and rear cross member need removed.

Time taken-non stop no tea breaks 31/2 hours.

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

1 hour ago, weekender said:

Detachable. £575 fitted.

Including extensive software input via hand held coding device.

D-I-Y forget it.

Great video I will not be going off road-well perhaps on grass😀.

Terraco is shod with Pirelli 19x50 Scorpions they give a more comfortable ride over road bumps than the Alhambra did

15 hours ago, logiclee said:

Petrol or Diesel 190 will make a good towcar and both will come with a 7 speed wet clutch DSG so no worries there.

Did you mean 6 speed wet clutch DSG ?    the 7 speed DSG is a dry clutch that's not as reliable as the wet clutch, also only fitted AFAIK to smaller diesels i.e.  1.6 .

8 hours ago, daftbugga said:

Did you mean 6 speed wet clutch DSG ?    the 7 speed DSG is a dry clutch that's not as reliable as the wet clutch, also only fitted AFAIK to smaller diesels i.e.  1.6 .

No,

The old 6 speed Wetclutch DQ250 is now discontinued.

VAG have several 7 speed wetclutch boxes.

For transverse engines the DQ380, DQ381, DQ500

For Longitudinal engines DL382, DL501, DL800

The 7 speed dry clutch DQ200 continues and is now joined by the DQ200e 

Some personal comparisons between my previous Tiguan 150 4motion manuel and my now Seat Xcellence lux 4 Drive so far.

Solo Tiguan gives a slightly more supple ride 18” wheels but on certain road conditions it can feel a bit jiggly .

Seat slightly stiffer and has 20” wheels, but with a longer wheelbase it smooths out road conditions which can give a jiggly ride better than Tig.

Tiguan fine with four people solo but can be a bit cramped when Caravanning, this of course depends how much equipment needs to be carried in the car.

Seat will have more storage space with third row of seats folded down and boot cover is stored under floor when not used also room for space saver spare wheel.

Seat has self seal tyres but also supplied with gunge and compressor seems pointless? Also no jack, I will purchase space saver later which comes with new insert to fit space saver and jack with tools to change wheel.

Tiguan was supplied with self seal tyres and space saver and tools to change wheel.

SEAT although seven seats it not as spacious as the Sharan I towed with, also it has a small transmission tunnel in second seat row.

Rear seats very low to floor and middle row needs to sacrifice some leg room to sit in back my thoughts based on 1.75 mtr 80 kg adult.

Drive is not like for like as Tig is manuel Seat is DSG but for me auto is tops as said is previous post my mistake.

Seat VAG DSG silky smooth good low speed manoeuvring Eco Normal and Sport settings Slightly alter driving settings, auto with ACC makes for very relaxing driving.

Some things will probably never be used heated seats boss thinks it’s good I would have preferred cooled, launch control which lets you take off when revs hit around 3500 ? really on a SUV wasted.

Above are only my personal thoughts others will be different

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ancell said:

Detachable. £575 fitted.

Including extensive software input via hand held coding device-annual service charge £400 for upgrades.

D-I-Y forget it.

Don't seat offer a factory towbar?

54 minutes ago, weekender said:

Some personal comparisons between my previous Tiguan 150 4motion manuel and my now Seat Xcellence lux 4 Drive so far.

Solo Tiguan gives a slightly more supple ride 18” wheels but on certain road conditions it can feel a bit jiggly .

Seat slightly stiffer and has 20” wheels, but with a longer wheelbase it smooths out road conditions which can give a jiggly ride better than Tig.

Tiguan fine with four people solo but can be a bit cramped when Caravanning, this of course depends how much equipment needs to be carried in the car.

Seat will have more storage space with third row of seats folded down and boot cover is stored under floor when not used also room for space saver spare wheel.

Seat has self seal tyres but also supplied with gunge and compressor seems pointless? Also no jack, I will purchase space saver later which comes with new insert to fit space saver and jack with tools to change wheel.

Tiguan was supplied with self seal tyres and space saver and tools to change wheel.

SEAT although seven seats it not as spacious as the Sharan I towed with, also it has a small transmission tunnel in second seat row.

Rear seats very low to floor and middle row needs to sacrifice some leg room to sit in back my thoughts based on 1.75 mtr 80 kg adult.

Drive is not like for like as Tig is manuel Seat is DSG but for me auto is tops as said is previous post my mistake.

Seat VAG DSG silky smooth good low speed manoeuvring Eco Normal and Sport settings Slightly alter driving settings, auto with ACC makes for very relaxing driving.

Some things will probably never be used heated seats boss thinks it’s good I would have preferred cooled, launch control which lets you take off when revs hit around 3500 ? really on a SUV wasted.

Above are only my personal thoughts others will be different

Thanks for the comparison.

Tiguan also has launch control but I've never used it.

Although not directed at myself I can answer that they do, same VW and Skoda.
 I went for a pre reg model but they hadn’t got one in the colour I wanted with factory fit tow ball so I’m having after market detachable fitted

• Thanks 1