Go me! I booked a 1 day B+E trailer lesson and test and passed. It’s pretty straight forward after revising the DVLA show me tell me questions and watching all the YouTube videos about the test. The trailer is tiny compared to a caravan. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3F072F67-C8A9-4E0A-9020-F63203ADC909.jpeg

Just a note to others taking the test. Don’t worry too much about minor mistakes, I made loads Of mistakes  and still passed. 

Edited by halifaxdan
  • Like 1

Well done Dan. Once you’ve mastered reversing a small trailer a caravan is a cinch. The bigger, the easier. When I did my HGV class one in 1987 the first school I went to had a Ford Cargo with a dumpy little flatbed trailer that was a real handful to reverse. A few days into the course the instructor was taken ill  and his students were taken on by another school who used a Ford Transcontinental (three steps up into the cab) and a tri axle box trailer. Very daunting at first but his reasoning was that rather than just teaching to pass the test he was teaching to drive a truck competently. 

I should imagine now you’ve passed the B+E you feel more confident out there.

well done again. 

It really felt like cheating. I have been dragging a 7 meter caravan behind a Citroen Spacetourer (not the C4 version, the dispatch version). Doing the lessons and test in a LR freelander 2 and a trailer that was narrower than the car itself it was like there was no trailer. Felt like I was just driving normally but at a reduced speed on dual carriageways etc. I have a motor mover so I have never had reason to reverse the caravan. I definitely feel confident I could now reverse if I took a wrong turn down a cul de sac or something. 

4 minutes ago, halifaxdan said:

It really felt like cheating. I have been dragging a 7 meter caravan behind a Citroen Spacetourer (not the C4 version, the dispatch version). Doing the lessons and test in a LR freelander 2 and a trailer that was narrower than the car itself it was like there was no trailer. Felt like I was just driving normally but at a reduced speed on dual carriageways etc. I have a motor mover so I have never had reason to reverse the caravan. I definitely feel confident I could now reverse if I took a wrong turn down a cul de sac or something. 

A caravan is much easier to reverse than a smaller trailer. I can easily reverse my van around the HGVs in a motorway service area if I need to, but I dread having to reverse my small camping trailer, it is just so sensitive and I cannot see it at all through either windows or mirrors until it is well out of line.

• I agree completely 1

Yeh I found that. You can’t tell that the small trailer is not going back in a straight line until it has already gone out quite far. 

Edited by halifaxdan

I tow regularly with a household trailer and I learnt what to do on this forum.

Face forward with both hands on the wheel and look at your door mirrors. If trailer appears in a mirror then turn the wheel towards that mirror. I regularly practice reversing the 200 yards up my road.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Well done in passing. The examiners do seem to vary a bit as to how strict they are so others might find it is harder or even easier though.

If you can reverse the smaller trailer used in the test, then a caravan should be a doddle.

I was lucky enough to be brought up on a farm and was driving tractors and reversing trailers from an early age so reversing my caravan holds no fear for me. Well done to those who are new to the experience when they first get a van.

If you really want a challenge try reversing a 4 wheel trailer (or rully as we knew them) with an articulating front axle.

image.png.480d1116c1c7cec6860439fb978e6672.png

• Haha 2

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I assume with your name, you are based in halifax which is not very far from me in rochdale. Where did you do the BE training? My friend wants to do his but a place in rochdale, now wants you to use your own tow vehicle and their trailer, his current car cannot tow so leaves him a bit stumped.

Well done by the way 👍

Thanks. I did it with go!towing in steeton/keighley. I got a discount with my CMHC membership too. Still it was £500 😭 but I had some money from a refunded flight which paid for it. 

Thanks mate, i'll mention them to him.

I passed a couple of weeks ago, harder than I thought it would be.

Those little trailers are harder to reverse than the caravan by far!

Passed first time with only 2 minors so was well chuffed and happy I did it in the end.

Which part did you find hard? Coupling and uncoupling was just a memory test.  As were the show tell questions. Driving around was just driving around, the trailer component Of driving around was pretty insignificant compared to the house on wheels that normally follows me.  Reversing during the training, for me, was fine. Reversing during the test though, I used both my forward shunts as I kept messing it up for some reason. Also the little mirror on the trailer to view the towbar had moved so I couldnt see the ball, I had to get out of the car several times to check. That was a horrible moment when I was coupling back up. 

17 hours ago, halifaxdan said:

Which part did you find hard? Coupling and uncoupling was just a memory test.  As were the show tell questions. Driving around was just driving around, the trailer component Of driving around was pretty insignificant compared to the house on wheels that normally follows me.  Reversing during the training, for me, was fine. Reversing during the test though, I used both my forward shunts as I kept messing it up for some reason. Also the little mirror on the trailer to view the towbar had moved so I couldnt see the ball, I had to get out of the car several times to check. That was a horrible moment when I was coupling back up. 

Coupling and uncoupling/show me, tell me, was fine.

Reverse part was harder than I thought it would be, took me probably 10 times before I could do it properly. Still ended up doing 1 shunt forward on my actual test!

Just found the actual driving part hard, as I was taught to use engine braking, which is apparently wrong now, stopping to close to the car in front. Roundabouts a whole another story, using the inside mirror for turning left, outside mirror going right, blind spot checks etc

As I said, only ended up with 2 minors and passed 1st time so can't complain - just didn't enjoy the experience at all.

I must have looked like a nodding dog, i was constantly looking in the mirrors all the time l, back to the speedo, then back to the front window then back to the mirrors. I got 3 minor faults for mirrors so looks like it wasn’t enough or at the wrong time, but like you I passed so.... all good.