Hi.

Just wondering if any members use the awning pulley to assist with a heavy awning through the awning rail.

Ive watched a few videos on You Tube and they do seem to be a help for the "not so able"caravanner.

Any usefull reviews from users?

Thanks

David38....does your suggestion mean your pulling slightly down on awning rail as you pull awning along?

Dave Capiro.....do you stand at the opposite end of the rail to pull it through?

2 good suggestions👍

2 minutes ago, George&Ade said:

Thanks

David38....does your suggestion mean your pulling slightly down on awning rail as you pull awning along?

Dave Capiro.....do you stand at the opposite end of the rail to pull it through?

2 good suggestions👍

yes George,  Create a nice angle , nice and easy pull.

Ah right.

Lovely thanks.

Ive actually got one of those from when we had our Springer.

Looks like it may come in usefull again😊

Edited by George&Ade
Missed words

We also use a retractable dog lead but find one of us has to also feed the awning cord into the rail slot at the same time.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I've seen one being used in the flesh, and it didn't go quite as smoothly as the You tube video, though the user did admit it was his first time and he expected to get better as he got more used to it. 

The idea of a pulley as opposed to just a cable is that it enables you to pull through and feed at the same time,. If I didn't have someone available to feed the awning I might think about one, but wifey normally stands in for that task, and bratticus primera is now 10 and starting to help out with pitching tasks so I don't see the point. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

An advantage of the pulley (for those who find it hard) compared to just a straight leash approach is that the pulley I've seen introduces a 2-1 lever effect so the effort required is halved, though of course you have to pull twice the length.

• Like 1

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

56 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

An advantage of the pulley (for those who find it hard) compared to just a straight leash approach is that the pulley I've seen introduces a 2-1 lever effect so the effort required is halved, though of course you have to pull twice the length.

Agree. We use a Kampa awning pulley with our heavy Kampa 390 grande air awning (no leaks__________________YET ;)) My wife feeds the awning into the rail while I pull the pulley. It needs very little effort even with the heavy awning. You can do it single handed, but it's easier with two.

John

Edited by johntog

We also use a Kampa awning pulley for our Kampa 400 and find it without doubt a lot easier.   I think it is easier with two people one feeding it in the rail and one pulling but it would work with one person.  We used to remove all the window to help with the weight but now leave them in while we pulley it up and into the rail.   A good bit of kit.

meone

Elddis Advante 540 2010 Coachman Pastiche 575 2016 and Ford Kuga 4x4 Mazda CX5 2016

Hi All 

Would this kampa pully work with another brand as long as it has a loop to connect to?

Asking as I have a Vango Montelina that's very heavy to pull through. Generally causes a lot of swearing!

Regards
Robert
Ford Kuga 150 TDCI Titanium. Bailey Pegasus II Verona

1 hour ago, robertm said:

Hi All 

Would this kampa pully work with another brand as long as it has a loop to connect to?

Asking as I have a Vango Montelina that's very heavy to pull through. Generally causes a lot of swearing!

As long as the loop is strong enough and close to the awning bead I see no reason why it wouldn't Robert. Of course make sure the awning rail is clean and lubed with silicone spray.

John

Piece of cord looped through a wooden batten - job done and it cost nowt! Come on lads just use a bit of common sense?

And don’t use silicone spray - it gets every where. Piece of rag small enough to pull through rail, tie to a length of cord, spray rag with polish,  and pull through the rail. Not only lubricates but also cleans out bugs etc.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

I use the cheap polish on a rag like you The road toad.

Get mine from Aldi but use silicon spray on the window/locker rubbers.

Had our 390 Kampa Rally 390 pro delivered today.

Couldnt believe the weight of the bag🥴

Cant wait for us to put it up on the van but think it will probably be next year now......fingers crossed🤔

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by George&Ade
Missed words
12 hours ago, The road toad said:

Piece of cord looped through a wooden batten - job done and it cost nowt! Come on lads just use a bit of common sense?

And don’t use silicone spray - it gets every where. Piece of rag small enough to pull through rail, tie to a length of cord, spray rag with polish,  and pull through the rail. Not only lubricates but also cleans out bugs etc.

Yes, i'd thought of this. Or even the 'dog lead' solution. But with the Kampa pulley surely you would be halving the force required to pull the awning through? Which when the awning is very heavy has to be a good thing.

Regards
Robert
Ford Kuga 150 TDCI Titanium. Bailey Pegasus II Verona

24 minutes ago, robertm said:

Yes, i'd thought of this. Or even the 'dog lead' solution. But with the Kampa pulley surely you would be halving the force required to pull the awning through? Which when the awning is very heavy has to be a good thing.

Yes. If you tried both methods you'd easily see the difference with a heavy awning. For the sake of about twenty quid I find the pulley a worthwhile purchase for a short, aged weakling like myself ;) I'm not saying it's quicker, but it is considerably easier. But whatever floats your boat is fine. If you use the fine tube supplied with silicone spray it doesn't go everywhere :rolleyes:

John

• I agree completely 1

Certainly if you have a heavy air awning then it might make a difference - air awnings are heavier than a poled awning.

But with our huge Isabella Capri on our Clubman si it is so easy to pull through with a simple cord!

As for the cleaning/lubricating rag I use a cheap furniture polish - does the same job.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

18 minutes ago, The road toad said:

Certainly if you have a heavy air awning then it might make a difference - air awnings are heavier than a poled awning.

But with our huge Isabella Capri on our Clubman si it is so easy to pull through with a simple cord!

As for the cleaning/lubricating rag I use a cheap furniture polish - does the same job.

I sometimes wish I'd bought a second hand Isabella full size instead of a new air awning if I'm honest, although I do like my 390 grande. My Sister gave me a small air porch awning that would be fine for weekends, but a full size Isabella would have been nice for longer stays.

John

• Like 1