I’m looking at the series 4 Unicorn and was wondering if the axle problems with the series 3 have continued over to the 4 series. 

Yes, there is a facebook group discussing the axle issues and there are quite a few U4 owners on there with the same problem.  I don’t think it was finally corrected until the 2020 model year.

• I agree completely 1

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Was there a satisfactory conclusion to the problem? Under specced  axle or insufficient clearance? 

Nobody really knows for sure as Bailey have not been fully transparent about the issue, they are never going to admit they made a mistake with the 2014-2019 models.  However the 2020 models have around 90mm clearance unloaded.  This seems to be in line with al-ko’s recommendations with a 30mm movement in the swing arm for loading and then another 60mm to full bump stop.  In that setup the wheel cannot protrude through the wheel arch.  I don’t think the spec of the axle has changed, it’s just the way in which it is fitted/located in order to create the required clearance.

To be honest I am certainly not an expert in it and am just repeating here what has been explained in the facebook group.  I would recommend anyone concerned about the issue joins that group (Bailey Axle Problems Family) as there is a lot of help and information there.  I joined the group when I discovered my U3 Madrid axle was failing.  In the end Bailey replaced ours “as a gesture of goodwill” and we part exchanged it for a twin axle U3 Barcelona soon after it was fixed.

Edited by Markt1891
  • I agree completely 1

Thanks for that. Don’t have the problem with my Seville but was thinking of  going to a bigger one. Will have to think about it a bit more me thinks. 

I had mine refurbished by Frazer Brown.  Lovely chap, very speedy service.

I did a deal with my mobile service chap that he removed and refitted the axle around his other jobs.  Win:win.

The new axle has been in place for a year now, and all is well.  As for Bailey and my supplying dealer?  May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits for now and for the next three generations.

• Haha 4

Haha. Sounds like a man after my own heart there Willdebeast. Does anyone know if it was a specific layout that was most effected, Madrid,Cadiz. Etc. or was it just spread out across the whole range. 

Seems to be mostly the Unicorn single axle 4 berth models, but there were a few Pegasus owners also reporting failures.   Whilst there were a lot of reports of failures with the Vigo and Valencia that might just be because they are the more popular layouts - I am not sure any particular model is more affected than another.  My Madrid failed on the offside which is not too surprising with that layout as that is also where the bulk of the weight is (hot water storage, boiler, oven, microwave and fridge/freezer).