I have a c3 picasso plated tow capacity 900 and a caravan with mtplm of 914.

I lightly load the van in fact only gas tyre and battery, can i be pulled over for the mtplm plated being greater than the max tow plated on my car if the van doesn't weight that much and does it affect my insurance has anybody asked dvla or police all the caravan dealers say I will be prosecuted

gary

It is not an offence for the MTPLM to be greater than the quoted towing limit of the car.

What does matter is that the actual weight of the van must be less tan the plated MTPLM and the combined actual weight of car and caravan must be less than the plated MTW on the car.

As to insurance, you need to read your policy.

• Like 1

Hi, a subject that attracts many, often conflicting views. The .Gov website says;

Towing weight and width limits

Most cars have a maximum weight they can tow. It’s usually listed in the handbook or specification sheet.

Alternatively the vehicle’s ‘gross train weight’ may be listed on the vehicle identification number (VIN) plate on the car. This is normally under the bonnet or inside the driver’s door.

The gross train weight is the weight of the fully-loaded car plus fully-loaded trailer and must not be exceeded.

If your VIN plate doesn’t list a train weight, you should not use your vehicle for towing.

All that said seems you are starting from a poor position choice wise.

1 minute ago, joanie said:

yes, yes and yes.

I'll have what she's having :D

• Haha 3

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

19 minutes ago, joanie said:

yes, yes and yes.

Which model is it? The picasso I see on parkers all seem to be 1100 or 1200kg braked tow weight. Except the 1.2 which they're not listing a tow weight for. 

If you make full use of the caravan's MTPLM of 914kg you would still be within the car's maximum allowable towload of 900kg if the noseweight is equal to or greater than 14kg (which I hope would be the case).

• Like 2

Surely the MTPLM is based on the total weight of the unhitched caravan ie. including any noseweight/jockey wheel weight? It's the weight on the axle/s that is minus any noseweight. Of course, measuring such a weight presents a bit of difficulty for regulatory authorities as to get a true actual MTPLM they'd have to unhitch the van at the roadside. Not having ever been weighed at a regulatory check I would expect the van to be weighed whilst hitched and if it was well below any limits then I'd be free to go, but if over the limit, then I'd be asked to remove weight. If I refused and a prosecution seemed likely, then the van would be unhitched and a full weight check undertaken to establish the actual MTPLM as formal evidence.

Also that government info about VIN plates is a bit limp wristed. The manufacturer's  towing limit is advisory, not a legal limit and all vehicles have to have a plate with the gross train weight shown, unless they are not allowed to tow, when the GTW will be blank. Admittedly the VIN plate regulations obviously came in at some time and earlier vehicles won't necessarily have one, but the government advice could specify that and not give the impression that some current cars won't have one.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.