Power for wireless reversing camera

Hi all, would anyone know if its possible to power off the top  side marker on my Bailey pegasus ancona 2012 for a wireless camera? I want the camera to be on when I put the side lights on. 

Edited by Jv 29

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up from the number plate light, assuming that you don`t want the camera mounted up high.

I did something similar but I took the power from mine from the number plate light. 

I bought a cheap WiFi reversing camera from Ebay is it very good.

I would like the camera high up, as I'm guessing this would give me the best view. The side mark is close for this location. There are 2 wires on for the marker light, 1 black and 1 grey.

54 minutes ago, Yes Dear said:

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up from the number plate light, assuming that you don`t want the camera mounted up high.

1 hour ago, Jv 29 said:

Hi all, would anyone know if its possible to power off the top  side marker on my Bailey pegasus ancona 2012 for a wireless camera? I want the camera to be on when I put the side lights on. 

A

faded brown and a white wire. 

DSC_0143.JPG

Edited by Jv 29

I am curious as to why you only want the camera live when the lights are on?  Am I missing something?

Surely you want it to be live when reverse is engaged! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Could be Jv 29 wants the camera on all the time and not just when reversing.

But the camera would only be on if the lights were on - turn 'em off and no camera?

It would be okay to use the high level marker light feed but much more logical to provide a dedicated fused supply from the car ignition circuit via the 12S or 13pin connector. With a little forethought, it really isn't that difficult to poke a wire up through the insulation behind a rear wall moulding using a sparky's draw tape, then route the wire (and earth return) to the a-frame junction. 

Before doing anything, I suggest running a temporary feed along the ground to the camera, to confirm it 'talks' to the monitor in the car from your chosen location, before making it a permanent feature.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

6 hours ago, Towtug said:

We've fitted trailer vehicles with cameras for monitoring and often use solar powered. 

Are these just for short term reversing. or can the solar panel support continuous use as a rear view camera when driving forwards?

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

A reversing camera is useless as a rear view camera, they have a very wide angle of view, far too wide once you get more than about 10 feet from the rear of the MH/camera. Been there, tried it, had to buy a rear view camera! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

20 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

A reversing camera is useless as a rear view camera, they have a very wide angle of view, far too wide once you get more than about 10 feet from the rear of the MH/camera. Been there, tried it, had to buy a rear view camera! 

You make a good point Andy. That said, our rear view camera is a great benefit when reversing with a trailer as it looks down on the trailer and you can see any slight deviation long before the narrow trailer becomes visible in either of the side mirrors. There is an option on our system to have it turn on only when reverse is selected, or have it on permanently. I normally choose the latter.

5 hours ago, Gordon said:

Are these just for short term reversing. or can the solar panel support continuous use as a rear view camera when driving forwards?

The cameras we use are more like Go Pros (I think they are Sony) either requiring 5V or 12 V , they have an internal battery and a solar panel . We dont tend to do much testing in the dark, but the combination of battery and solar allows for uninterrupted use.

I have taken the power from the top marker and all works fine. Thanks for all the input.