Has 2020 been the UK year of staycation ?

I have been on the same static caravan park for 7 years now ....There has always Been a steady flow of coming and going over the years .....Some buy and stay a few years ...Sell up ...Move on ...Others  upgrade else where ...!..The park has always had spare pitches and caravans for sale....However since lock down was lifted in July 2020....I've never seen the park or the nearby villages and beaches so busy...

Speaking to the site manager .....She informed me for the first time ever !...The park has sold out of pitches and caravans !

I was just wondering in the current climate of covid 19....Has anyone else witnessed this change ?....In their area ?....

Is the UK British caravan holiday ....Now the way forward ?...

No,it will only last till this pandemic finally gone, IMO! I have spoken to quite a few people on our recent travels who normally go abroad,general comment has been,didn’t realise how lovely our country is,but can’t wait to go abroad again for the sun and low costs of everything.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

We got our first caravan a year ago....so glad. Whilst we obviously couldn’t use it (tourer) between March to July...we went to Buxton in July and, fingers crossed, heading  there again tomorrow.  Even if it pours with rain, I have no desire  to travel abroad! I say fingers crossed because we live in Durham....however, currently guidance is we can still travel, as long we with someone from same household.  :unsure:

• Thanks 1

I think for the moment Britain has been the only option at times and the safest one at others especially if you are working and two weeks quarantine is out. I cannot see a lot of people who have normally gone abroad staying here particularly after the recent bad  weather and assuming things are clear they will be away next year. Many have not been anywhere and so they should have a fair bit sitting in the bank and could really splash out next year. Time will tell but I cannot see the ones who normally go abroad and have not missing out again.

• Thanks 1

It could be that some, older, touring caravanners have decided that they would prefer to have a static as to them it seems safer than touring, they can form their own bubble?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

If people cannot, or are unwilling to take their caravans abroad their options become pretty limited. 

We shoukd have been in France/Spain now, inside we are on a site in Cornwall. I bet there are hundreds in the same position. Site owner reckons he has been 100% full since the 4th July when he opened up, and is still near to capacity for the next few weeks. Visiting caravan tech reckons he could work 25 hours a day at present due to the huge demand for his services. 

Until a vaccine comes along I don’t think it will change very much. A bit of a clue as well is the fact that the ferry companies are giving refund vouchers valid for two years not one. What do they know that we don’t?

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I don't go on holiday abroad anyway. Haven't had any kind of holiday this year. So literally a staycation. Though that's not entirely down to covid. 

• Thanks 1
On 19/09/2020 at 12:25, PeterR said:

Is the UK British caravan holiday ....Now the way forward ?...

Quite possibly given the number of recent new members of this forum asking basic questions.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

54 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Quite possibly given the number of recent new members of this forum asking basic questions.

Me and the Mrs been talking about it for the last couple of years.  Covid not the reason we've started looking seriously into it this year. 

Cost mostly is. From what I can see 7 nights on the best fully serviced pitch in Cornwall will be cheaper than 7 nights in a cottage in Cornwall. Especially as there is four of us and dog. So initial outlay aside it's a cheaper holiday. And we'll probably get away more often for weekend breaks. So I think it's very much the way forward. 

Shhhhh!

Or everyone will want a caravan ;)

• Haha 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

It wasn’t that long ago Everyone was bemoaning the decline of caravanning.  And wondering how to increase interest in this past time. 

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

We should have been in France/Spain now, inside we are on a site in Cornwall.

Same as us (France).  We are booked to go away on Wednesday - 3 days Dorset then 10 in Cornwall.  But having seen the weather forecast for the period combined with the knowledge of what  Covid related constraints will place on activities we are wondering if its worth it.

1 hour ago, Ironeddie said:

Me and the Mrs been talking about it for the last couple of years.  Covid not the reason we've started looking seriously into it this year. 

Cost mostly is. From what I can see 7 nights on the best fully serviced pitch in Cornwall will be cheaper than 7 nights in a cottage in Cornwall. Especially as there is four of us and dog. So initial outlay aside it's a cheaper holiday. And we'll probably get away more often for weekend breaks. So I think it's very much the way forward. 

Having just done exactly as you have outlined above for 8 nights in St Mawes it was cheaper than even 1 night in a holiday cottage in Cornwall during peak season. We stayed for 8 night for £170

50 minutes ago, Stockcroft said:

Same as us (France).  We are booked to go away on Wednesday - 3 days Dorset then 10 in Cornwall.  But having seen the weather forecast for the period combined with the knowledge of what  Covid related constraints will place on activities we are wondering if its worth it.

Plenty of good things to do, Eden project, seal sanctuary and national aquarium in Plymouth just to name a few!

1 hour ago, Ironeddie said:

From what I can see 7 nights on the best fully serviced pitch in Cornwall will be cheaper than 7 nights in a cottage in Cornwall. Especially as there is four of us and dog. So initial outlay aside it's a cheaper holiday. And we'll probably get away more often for weekend breaks. So I think it's very much the way forward. 

It was the cost factor that initially got us going on caravan rallies. Rock bottom prices, often on locations away from commercial sites, able to explore areas that were not normally open to caravanners etc etc., all played a part in our decision. Ultimately it was no cheaper as once we caught the 'caravanning bug' we actually started going away more than we probably would have previously. we've always camped or caravanned as we like to remain independent and neither of us like over-commercial holidays. the only reason we currently have an RV is that it offers a greater living area than our caravans did although we still treat it like a caravan in than we park up and then travel out each day from a central location, rather than stop in a different location each night. 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Well staycation year for us! First time I have not had my French or Spanish trip since 1970.

Have I missed it , Yes.

However seen some wonderful places in Britain. Will carry on touring at home until mid December.

Only going home on Friday for the caravan to be serviced!

let’s see what next year brings!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We have never seen North Wales as busy. Just back from our weekend away and everywhere resembled the August weeks. 

Hymer Eriba Nova 541 2014

At present we don't own a caravan but we go camping often, rarely in the UK since 2015 though. When we make the upgrade to a touring caravan, apart from the odd trip to skegness for some fishing, it will probably be france and spain.  My parents live in spain.

My favorite place for none camping holidays is turkey, i first went in 2001 when i was 14. We were there when 9/11 happened. We got back from turkey just under two weeks ago, we took a risk and booked flights at the height of lockdown. The total cost was £1375 for 5 of us ( 2 adults, 3 kids) for 10 nights. Flights, hotel, transfers & airport parking.  Bargain. That was my 26th visit to turkey.

I love the UK but to many times have our trips ended up been a wash out due to the weather. Although cornwall will be on the cards when we have a caravan.

15 hours ago, PR1 said:

Well staycation year for us!

let’s see what next year brings!

My last trip away was for an exciting week attending the NEC Caravan show. Otherwise it's been all "Stay" and no "cation" as I predicted earlier in the year.

On 11/03/2020 at 08:50, Gordon said:

As one who always uses the "onboard facilities" closing of an ablutions block would have little affect on me personally. The only Issue I can see for some is the regular visits to with fill fresh water from a common tap and dumping the waste at a common disposal point. I am fortunate in that we can operate for almost two weeks using just the onboard water, and not needing to dispose of any waste. During my recent trip to the NEC only one connection was made to the site services where I stayed, and that was the EHU. I brought my own water for the week and emptied grey, black and dry waste when I returned home.

Remember that being self contained is not the same as being antisocial. You can still talk to people in the open, just don't "snuggle up to them" in restaurants or bars ;) 

My fear at the moment is that we're only just seeing the beginning of this worldwide crisis and it's not going to go away overnight. I firmly believe that we shall have all sorts of restrictions imposed upon us this summer and possibly even beyond, so like it or not, we are going to have to adjust to a new way of life for the foreseeable future, or at least until an effective treatment is found for this virus. I note that it is being referred to as covid-19 (not covid-20) so it is my belief that it's been around longer than is currently being admitted to.

We will all just have to do what we feel safe doing (if permitted) and see how things pan out.

I was hoping to replace a car this week but I received a call this morning to say the dealership I was hoping to buy from has now closed and the premises sold, as a direct result of the coronavirus pandemic.

looks like the staycation is coming to an end in some parts of the country. Wales have just put 4 places in lock down , no one in or out  so those who have booked holidays will have to check again, Newport , being one of them with CMC Tredegar House site. Bridgend with Porthcawl caravan sites.  The four nation leaders are having a meeting this afternoon so we expect some stricter rules coming out of number 10 soon. 

I'm away this Friday and oor wee Nicola is fuming with Boris the Bold. Certainly expecting more restrictions due to the Selfish......😒

GAS......

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Me and OH toured Europe over the years until 4 years ago, when OH had to go on dialysis.  The good thing is that you can choose how you do it.  So he plumped for DIY (bags of fluid and flushing his kidneys four times a day), instead of attending hospital 3 days a week.  So he could take his stuff with him.  Doing this we took the decision to holiday in this country, even though we could have still toured abroad, but was too much hassle to have his equipment delivered to the relevant sites, so had to make sure we would book the site in whatever country we would be in at the time.  Sadly, he died last year, but I decided to keep caravanning, but staying in this country.  Have only been out once this year, and that was a first time of me towing.  Have since given up the allotment, and been organising my garden so that I can keep up my gardening and have ordered a greenhouse as well.  Next year, my first trip away is in May (should have been April, but the site was booked for a CMC rally), so its May, then at end of June, off to Exmoor:).  I do love the countryside of our lovely country.  Its so diverse.  You can choose to have either a seaside, countryside, city sites, etc, etc

• Thanks 5

We have been away the last couple of weeks on CMC sites, all busy. We would normally be in France now. Luckily weather has been good and we enjoyed ourselves.

We have stayed on a site with no shower block and some with. The wristband system works well and facilities have been very clean.

Thanks to CMC staff for their hard work.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

7 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Me and OH toured Europe over the years until 4 years ago, when OH had to go on dialysis.  The good thing is that you can choose how you do it.  So he plumped for DIY (bags of fluid and flushing his kidneys four times a day), instead of attending hospital 3 days a week.  So he could take his stuff with him.  Doing this we took the decision to holiday in this country, even though we could have still toured abroad, but was too much hassle to have his equipment delivered to the relevant sites, so had to make sure we would book the site in whatever country we would be in at the time.  Sadly, he died last year, but I decided to keep caravanning, but staying in this country.  Have only been out once this year, and that was a first time of me towing.  Have since given up the allotment, and been organising my garden so that I can keep up my gardening and have ordered a greenhouse as well.  Next year, my first trip away is in May (should have been April, but the site was booked for a CMC rally), so its May, then at end of June, off to Exmoor:).  I do love the countryside of our lovely country.  Its so diverse.  You can choose to have either a seaside, countryside, city sites, etc, etc

Good on yi Babs..... Stay Safe.....😊😇

• I agree completely 1

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

On 21/09/2020 at 16:20, Babstreefern said:

Good on you Babs,keep going,it’s so important after bereavement, I struggled but succeeded or I don’t know where would have ended up.

The new Companions club or Phoenix,or the Loners club could help a lot.keep going,get a life Babs, it’s so important,good luck.well done.