Water Temperature

Water temperature in my caravan is really hot.  The caravan is a 2011 Swift Challenger 570 but I’d imagine that the water heater is common to many caravans.  Is there any way to turn down the thermostat?

330d with a Challenger following!

It’s not often you find an adjustable thermostat, there are usually a couple of settings, such as reasonable hit and very hot. 

Some information as to exactly what water heater you have (make and model) would assist a lot. Heaters are fairly universal but there are a good few makes and models, most of them have different operating systems. A bit like PC and Apple, they do the same thing in different ways.

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Every van we have had produces very hot water but they have all had mixer taps and showers even our lovely Avondale Argente we started with. Just use the mixer to add cold.

It’s a truma ultrastore rapid and yes the caravan does have mixer taps.

Still no need for it to be as hot as it is - could cause burns.

Sorry, I now have the Truma combi and cannot for the life of me remember how to alter the water temp setting on the ultra store.

Have you tried a Google search for the instruction manual? 

It'll be  a Truma Ultrastore in that caravan probably.  It's all explained in the manuals if the new caravan owners can be bothered to read them.

On electric the thermostat is preset and fixed to 70C. 

That's hot but 10l of that mixed with cold gives a comfortable shower time of a certain of length (as shown and explained in the manual).

On gas the temperature can be set to either a variable dial temperature or a 2-position switch (50 & 70 C iirc), depending on exact installation era/model.  The manual should cover it.

Other water heaters can and do differ.

Install thermostatic mixers if concerned.  It's been like this for over 25 years of caravanning for me and many others. 

Edited by Rodders53
  • Like 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

If you are worried about small children getting scalded then a Thermostatic valve can be installed in the plumbing for about £20. 70C is very hot but its the low cost way to get a decent shower when its diluted with cold. 

• Thanks 1

Ern

Thanks for the responses - the polite ones anyway!

The  manual does indeed say that the water temperature cannot be altered.  

What I was hoping for was some ‘hidden’ method of adjusting whatever type of thermostat is used.

Not a serious enough issue to start fitting thermostatic valve though.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

Do you have an eco setting? Our Whale water does, it's 55°C (standard setting is 70°C same as the Truma). We leave ours on the eco setting all the time on EHU as it's ideal for handwashing, then just top it up to 70 for showers and dishwashing.

Why not just leave it on 70° and use the mixer tap to provide the temperature you want. If you want a lower than 70° water flow, by using the mixer tap to lower it, you will use less of the (relatively small volume) of hot water that’s available.  No faffing about having to remember to change the temp setting etc. 

In our case, leaving it on Eco constantly means it only uses 3.3A as opposed to 6,5 (or whatever it is) on the full 70°C setting, so we don't overload the EHU, especially in winter when we're running the heating. As I said, 55° is ideal for general handwashing, and it takes very little time to raise it to 70 when needed. It suits us that way, anyway. :)

Sorry, bit of thread drift!

Part of the reason for having a 70C setting is to kill legionella and this high temperature should be used the first time each time you use your caravan.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Hello. In homes and workplaces, and rental units, the accepted solution is to fit a thermostatic mixing valve.

Alde produce one specifically designed for caravans and motorhomes that may be of interest.

https://www.alde.co.uk/news/new-product-alde-speedfit-mixing-valve/

• Like 1