Hi

Has anyone ever changed the bed gas strut on a Pegasus II Verona?

I thought it looked straight forward, until I realsised the size of the gap I had to fit a spanner in. It's about the width of a bike spanner but mine dont have the correct size. think it's about 11 or 12 mm.

Regards
Robert
Ford Kuga 150 TDCI Titanium. Bailey Pegasus II Verona

Does the strut not just prise off the mountings using a flat blade screwdriver?

They normally do.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

No, its a threaded end with a nut to turn it in. I changed my Heki skylight the other day and that one was held on with pins that you had to pop the ends off. 

strut.JPG

Regards
Robert

Around the head of the gas strut is a semi circular spring clip, just prise that gently away from the strut end & it will pop off of the end you are trying to undo with the spanner, practice with the new one in your hand & then whip the old one off of the bed, 10 second job once you know how to do it

4 hours ago, Flinty said:

Around the head of the gas strut is a semi circular spring clip, just prise that gently away from the strut end & it will pop off of the end you are trying to undo with the spanner, practice with the new one in your hand & then whip the old one off of the bed, 10 second job once you know how to do it

Thanks for that.

Managed to get one end off an back on again. Bitch to get back on mind you! Is this how they are meant to be changed? Or should you be using the nut and fitting the complete part?

Regards
Robert

29 minutes ago, robertm said:

Thanks for that.

Managed to get one end off an back on again. Bitch to get back on mind you! Is this how they are meant to be changed? Or should you be using the nut and fitting the complete part?

This is how they are meant to be changed, if your struggling to push the new one back onto the "ball" make sure the spring clip hasn't twisted around when you prised it open to get the "ball" out of the new one prior to fitting it.

Ah right, i think i may have gone too far there. I took the circular spring clip off completely. That's why i struggled to get it back on.

Looking at it now i can see the two ends of the clupjust grip the neck of the ball. 

So, you only just prise it back slightly, enough to pop the ball out. Is that correct?

Regards
Robert

7 hours ago, robertm said:

Ah right, i think i may have gone too far there. I took the circular spring clip off completely. That's why i struggled to get it back on.

Looking at it now i can see the two ends of the clupjust grip the neck of the ball. 

So, you only just prise it back slightly, enough to pop the ball out. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct, once you've got the hang of it it is very easy to do