mark-w

Gas Locker

REcently purchased a Stirling Swift caravan. Had a free night on a pitch to try it out. Once Id tested every button and switch on the inside, I then moved to the outside. The front gas locker has 2 cam style locks. I found the key position bore no relation to the cam on the inside. If I put the key in the lock and hold it still, the cam on the rear rotates almost a 1/2 turn. I mentioned this to the supplying dealer and a fitter came from the workshop and said, "thats normal". Now I don't think it is and it would be bad form to rant at the workshop monkey. You'd of thought that after paying almost £15K for a van they'd sort the little niggles out

There’s usually a small nut on the inside that secures the locking arm to the lock barrel, if so tighten that up!

Without actually seeing it it’s difficult to comment Do the locks actually hold the locker door closed? 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

"workshop monkey"

That's rather demeaning. :(

BH

• I agree completely 4

They do hold the locker door closed but you struggle to get the cam in the right position while you turn the key to horizontal to release it. 90% of the time the cam then moves and you start again. Takes me about 10mins sometimes to lock both locks

Just now, Blackhart said:

"workshop monkey"

That's rather demeaning. :(

BH

Perhaps that my bad, being around the motortrade and having workshop monkeys doing the work. Perhaps I could of phrased it better, but the point was, he came out, had no interest in doing anything and spouted his story. Manager was out as I saw him drive away when I arrived. So it was a case of listening to his story and trying hard not to call him out. I know he's only trying to save his boss some money by doing the absolute minimum, but for the sake of 2 locks they'd get a satisfied customer

Well if it was me I would most certainly have questioned the pathetic answer rather than just meekly accept it. You had your chance to get it sorted and basically blew it by just accepting what you were told, but suspected/knew  to be wrong! 

But still you feel entitled to make disparaging comments about the workshop staff. How would you feel if he went back into the workshop and referred to you as a weak individual who was afraid to challenge his daft answer??? If you have “been around workshop monkeys” I would have thought you would be more than able to identify exactly what is wrong with your caravan locks, after all they are very basic items! 

Most locks of  that sort have a squared off shaft on the lock barrel and a corresponding hole in the arm, and the whole lot is held together with a nut that screws onto the lock barrel. Have you looked to see which, if any, of the parts is worn?  Do that and you can then return and disprove the previous answer you were given and accepted at face value.  

P.s.

Kelper, I saw your post and agree 100%, I wonder where it went???

Edited by Mr Plodd

If your Swift is the same as my 2016 version the lock lever is simply held in place with a locknut (like Plod said earlier). When mine wouldn’t lock easily, it took about 12 seconds with a spanner to retighten the locknut on the loose lever. 

8EC46E80-8A22-4BD6-B01C-C1436D1DA99B.jpeg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well if it was me I would most certainly have questioned the pathetic answer rather than just meekly accept it. You had your chance to get it sorted and basically blew it by just accepting what you were told, but suspected/knew  to be wrong! 

But still you feel entitled to make disparaging comments about the workshop staff. How would you feel if he went back into the workshop and referred to you as a weak individual who was afraid to challenge his daft answer??? If you have “been around workshop monkeys” I would have thought you would be more than able to identify exactly what is wrong with your caravan locks, after all they are very basic items! 

Most locks of  that sort have a squared off shaft on the lock barrel and a corresponding hole in the arm, and the whole lot is held together with a nut that screws onto the lock barrel. Have you looked to see which, if any, of the parts is worn?  Do that and you can then return and disprove the previous answer you were given and accepted at face value.  

P.s.

Kelper, I saw your post and agree 100%, I wonder where it went???

I didn't just accept it, I did question it but he kept saying it was normal. I know that you don't moan at the hired help. They are doing the job they are told to. The manager is calling me on Fri about an unrelated issue so will take it up with him then.

Where have I said I'm entitled? I came on to ask a question, I've been out of caravans for almost 15yrs and just getting back into it after a decade of rooftents and ground tents

9 minutes ago, mark-w said:

Where have I said I'm entitled? 

Entitled to make the comment you did  which, in case you have forgotten what you said, I have quoted below 

1 hour ago, mark-w said:

rant at the workshop monkey. 

Which was, to quote you “very bad form” indeed sir! 

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Sounds just the same as on a 2006 Avondale we owned from new for 8 years. Never did get it quite right! Seem to remember the nearside one was the most troublesome. 

My lock looks nothing like yours. There is no adjustment nut

27822C0D-CE27-40B2-A914-D48C57B792EF.jpeg

Undo those two scews and tighten the nut or post a photo for more help.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

Those types of locks have a plastic mechanism that is prone to wear and prone to damage from heavy handling which results in the symptoms you describe.

Replacement part ......as you can see this suppler is out of stock probably due to high demand for the reasons above ;)

Yours need replacing  by a human with the necessary skills!

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

23 hours ago, WilliamJames said:

Those types of locks have a plastic mechanism that is prone to wear and prone to damage from heavy handling which results in the symptoms you describe.

Replacement part ......as you can see this suppler is out of stock probably due to high demand for the reasons above ;)

Yours need replacing  by a human with the necessary skills!

Does this look like the same lock? At that price I may as well buy new and fix myself

https://www.camperlands.co.uk/Caraloc-Bottle-Box-Lock.html

You can do that but I would use your old key and key barrel as the new key and barrel wont be the same.

The old key and barrel should still be OK.

........that's assuming that you have not already got a mismatch of locker keys.

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

16 minutes ago, WilliamJames said:

You can do that but I would use your old key and key barrel as the new key and barrel wont be the same.

The old key and barrel should still be OK.

........that's assuming that you have not already got a mismatch of locker keys.

No, still matching keys and barrels across all locks.  Sent a snotty email to manager about the service I received from the fitter who assessed my van for the niggles. Awaiting a response now

1 hour ago, mark-w said:

Sent a snotty email to manager about the service I received

You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar

5 minutes ago, kelper said:

You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar

Quite possibly but this lock issue isn't the only issues I have. i purchased the caravan from a dealer, they set us up with a pitch at a local site that night to test it out and make sure it all worked. We drove home and complied our list. Emailed it to them so we have an audit trail of the faults, booked a timeslot for the workshop to have them recitifed.

Locks being 1 of the gripes and the trim around the door window having 1 of the 4 mounting tangs broken.

Took it back to dealer, 2 1/2hr drive to be told to sort the lock nuts ourselves and to fix the surround did we want mastic or double sided tape.

Not getting into a shouting match with the fitter was the better option. So email sent listing all the faults which they knew about and not having any of them fixed or resolved and after being promised the manager would call on Friday, so an email this morning was an acceptable timeframe listing our grievances and wishing for a response.

I don't quite understand why you went home after testing everything overnight.  I would have gone back to the dealer to discuss the faults and seek a remedy.  Or you could have rejected the van.  Did you pay the full asking price before your overnight? 

We had a family issue with my mum that meant we left the pitch early. There was no time to visit the dealer before they opened. 

Sadly yes, paid in full before first night. Only just getting back into vanning after a 15yr wait. Heres hoping that the issues will be sorted to our satisfaction soon

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry for your troubles.  I thought the dealer's offer was good but only if you were to pay him the next day.  I hope it works out ok for you