Site reservation fee surprise

On trying to book a pitch on the continent I was faced with the prospect of a £75 ‘reservation fee’ which I thought was a bit steep. 
Then I recalled a Dutch version of the website while ‘googling’ and decided to try to book, and to my surprise I was able to make the booking for the same site with a reservation fee of only €25!

Out of season we don’t normally book in advance but as the sites seem to be very busy at the moment we thought it prudent. 

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

These booking fees are getting out of hand. I wouldnt mind if they formed part of the payment but they are extra. I think £75 would be a step too far for me. The other con' is cancellation insurance as a lot  of sites in France now have a no refund policy in their terms and conditions, and simply refer to their optional insurance. 

Ern

Is this a commercial site, a municipal, or a sort of CL?

Strikes me they are Covid and Brexit-scared!

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

9 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Booking a pitch on the continent?  Now that's a real rarity. 

I think you mean a rarity for you. We also go on spec sometimes but it depends on whether you want to go on a site with lots of faciiities/at a busy time/a fully serviced pitch, or none of the above.  

• Like 1

Ern

Its a rarity for us too but we have done it to guarantee a specific pitch when we are planning a long stay. I have a €100 deposit carried over on a pitch to next year . Another  site where we spend a month we have been paying  a €23 reservation fee to ensure a specific pitch. However if we were only staying a week or so somewhere we prefer to just turn up and take whats available

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk